By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think this E3 has killed Sony is Dead Threads?

Nope. Sony did not announce a price cut and the PSP go is $250.
Sounds like Sony wants to focus more on a profit to recoup costs rather then bleed more.
I'm guessing we won't see a price cut till 2010 at this point for the new "slim" PS3. Unless Sony thinks the slim PS3 warrants the price to stay the same. Gah.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:

Reasonable doubt about the potential long term success of Sony as a company were based on doubts about the viability of the business model that made Sony so successful, and the underlying trouble that is evident in Sony's financial statements ... When we're talking about Sony as a Console manufacturer there are legitimate concerns about the PS3 and PSP because they are (currently) unable to maintain their sales rate due to Sony's inability to justify their price tag with high quality exclusive content and E3 really hasn't changed that.

While it is insane to assume there won't be a PS3 on the market in 2010, I think it is entirely reasonable to suggest that the PS3 may be struggling in 2011 if something doesn't change for the PS3 (and fast).

What do you think adding five million more PS3's sold in Japan following FFXIV's release would do for PS3?

If we're playing in imagination land why don't we just assume that the PS3 will be $1?

The best selling PS2 Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy X which sold a little over 3 million units in Japan ... The PS3 is more expensive than the PS2, the PS3 is less popular than the PS2, and many of the people who will eventually buy Final Fantasy already own a PS3 so why would 5 Million people buy a PS3 to play Final Fantasy XIII?

A far more realistic estimate would be 500,000 people between now and the end of the generation will buy a PS3 and Final Fantasy XIII will be one of the top 10 factors which determined their purchase of the system ...

I didn't say 5 million for FFXIII.  I say 2 million for FFXIII,  2 million for GT5, and 2 million for FF Versus XIII.  And probably an additional 2 million for FFXIV.  Bringing in 4 million new PS3 owners in Japan following the release of FF XIV.  I think those are very reasonable expectations especially when you have other games I'm not counting that will also appeal to Japanese gamers like whatever Sega's follow up to the latest Yakuza is, Tales of Vesperia PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma II, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Rising PS3, Lost Planet 2, The Last Guardian, and other games from Japanese studios that will follow these especially since many Japanese studios won't feel inclined to make HD games on 360 when the PS3 has an advantage of 8 million PS3s sold in Japan to 2 million on 360.

With all of the above, it isn't unreasonable to think the PS3 will pass 10 million consoles sold in Japan this gen.

Umm... 2 million for FF XIV in Japan? The last MMO in the series, FF XI, sold 150,000 copies in Japan, on a much larger PS2 install base.

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=761&region=All

I'm done, its tough to argue against someone who doesn't have a clue

HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:

Reasonable doubt about the potential long term success of Sony as a company were based on doubts about the viability of the business model that made Sony so successful, and the underlying trouble that is evident in Sony's financial statements ... When we're talking about Sony as a Console manufacturer there are legitimate concerns about the PS3 and PSP because they are (currently) unable to maintain their sales rate due to Sony's inability to justify their price tag with high quality exclusive content and E3 really hasn't changed that.

While it is insane to assume there won't be a PS3 on the market in 2010, I think it is entirely reasonable to suggest that the PS3 may be struggling in 2011 if something doesn't change for the PS3 (and fast).

What do you think adding five million more PS3's sold in Japan following FFXIV's release would do for PS3?

If we're playing in imagination land why don't we just assume that the PS3 will be $1?

The best selling PS2 Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy X which sold a little over 3 million units in Japan ... The PS3 is more expensive than the PS2, the PS3 is less popular than the PS2, and many of the people who will eventually buy Final Fantasy already own a PS3 so why would 5 Million people buy a PS3 to play Final Fantasy XIII?

A far more realistic estimate would be 500,000 people between now and the end of the generation will buy a PS3 and Final Fantasy XIII will be one of the top 10 factors which determined their purchase of the system ...

I didn't say 5 million for FFXIII. I say 2 million for FFXIII, 2 million for GT5, and 2 million for FF Versus XIII. And probably an additional 2 million for FFXIV. Bringing in 4 million new PS3 owners in Japan following the release of FF XIV. I think those are very reasonable expectations especially when you have other games I'm not counting that will also appeal to Japanese gamers like whatever Sega's follow up to the latest Yakuza is, Tales of Vesperia PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma II, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Rising PS3, Lost Planet 2, The Last Guardian, and other games from Japanese studios that will follow these especially since many Japanese studios won't feel inclined to make HD gameson 360 when the PS3 has an advantage of 8 million PS3s sold in Japan to 2 million on 360.

With all of the above, it isn't unreasonable to think the PS3 will pass 10 million consoles sold in Japan this gen.

So 4 Million people will buy a PS3 for final fantasy games, when the best selling Final Fantasy game in recent times in Japan sold 3 million copies ... Which means that absolutely no one who bought a PS3 so far has ever bought a Final Fantasy game before, everyone who played Final Fantasy on the PS2 was a die-hard fan (and no one bought it because it was a high profile game on a system they already owned) and will rush out to buy a PS3 to play it, and a Million new people are suddenly going to become interested in Final Fantasy between now and when it releases for some unknown reason

In reality, of the people who have already bought a PS3 a large portion has (probably) already factored in these games as a reason why they bought the system. There will be a spike in hardware sales in the weeks surrounding the release of these games, which will probably (in total) add up to less than a Million additional PS3 system's sold.

Man, I wish I hadn't made so many bets lately, because 2 million more PS3's sold in Japan by August 2010 is the easiest win ever.  How about if I win my bet with Night Surge and have $2,000.00 + VGChartz dollars then, we bet $2,000.00 vgchartz dollars that the PS3 install base in Japan will be 5  million or higher after FF Versus XIII releases while the 360's won't even be 2 million?

bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:

I didn't say 5 million for FFXIII.  I say 2 million for FFXIII,  2 million for GT5, and 2 million for FF Versus XIII.  And probably an additional 2 million for FFXIV.  Bringing in 4 million new PS3 owners in Japan following the release of FF XIV.  I think those are very reasonable expectations especially when you have other games I'm not counting that will also appeal to Japanese gamers like whatever Sega's follow up to the latest Yakuza is, Tales of Vesperia PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma II, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Rising PS3, Lost Planet 2, The Last Guardian, and other games from Japanese studios that will follow these especially since many Japanese studios won't feel inclined to make HD games on 360 when the PS3 has an advantage of 8 million PS3s sold in Japan to 2 million on 360.

Umm... 2 million for FF XIV in Japan? The last MMO in the series, FF XI, sold 150,000 copies in Japan, on a much larger PS2 install base.

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=761®ion=All

From Wikipedia,

"In April 2009, Square Enix announced that the total number of active characters exceeded 2 million for the first time in game history.[3] Previously Square Enix had announced that more than 500,000 users, using more than one million characters, were playing the game as of January 2004. As of 2006, between 200,000 and 300,000 active players logged in per day, and the game remains the dominant MMORPG in Japan.[4] As of 2008, in an announcement for three additional expansions in development, SE noted Final Fantasy XI still has a strong user base of around 500,000 subscribers. [5] As of April 22nd, 2009 there are 2,000,000 active characters. Four expansions for the game have been released, capitalizing on the game's success."

I have as hard a time believing that a game that has 2,000,000 active characters sold only 150,000 copies as I do that the Burning Crusade sold 0.0 copies.

Around the Network

2 million EACH from 3 FF releases

gosh.....you have no clue do you txrattlesnake

FF13 will lead to ALL FF fans buying a PS3

FF14 may bring new people into the franchise so it may help.....but 2 Million from FF Versus XIII.....lol

FF Versus XIII won't cross 1 million SW sold in japan.....forget bringing in 2 million people to the console

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

What? Sony is dead? Oh noes.

The Wii is doomed, and it sells more systems than hookers in Vegas (their console sucks). Of course the PS3 is doomed!

@ darth, FF Versus will sell 1m in Japan

No it, won't, those threads are completely and utterly ridiculous, and this is not going to change anything. We all know the PS3 price cut is coming with their predictions of 13m consoles sold this year.

There is 0 reason that the PS3 won't be here in 2011 or 2012

Those threads will never stop. where will the Trolls go???

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller