By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Finally bought a PS2, please recommend games

Soul Calibur II and III, Tekken 5. If you like fighting games.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

Around the Network
libellule said:
hum,

I should get SR2 and Deviance then ...

but why do you say "without" boss fight ?

One of the best parts of SR1 was the boss fights. SR2 doesn't have any boss fights, except at the end. That and the sometimes-too-dark environments are the only real complaints I can make about the game, though.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

MikeB said:
Jak 3, I also own for my PS3. A good game if you don't mind the mediocre graphics in comparison to the God of War games or for example Ape Escape 3. So far I am only about 30% into the game, but the game offered lots of varierty like racing matches, platforming, flying parts, minigames and such. This game like the original God of War is now available at budget prices.

Games like Twisted Metal: Black, Tekken 5 and Soulcalibur II I also heard much about from PS2 fans.

I have now advanced through 72% of Jak 3, a huge game! The game keeps surprising me with new gameplay, I like it a lot! I haven't played the earlier games, so they may be borrowing some of the earlier ideas. Camera can be a bit annoying at times, but also adds to the challenge.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Illbe bookmarking this page. I plan to get a PS2 in 1.5 years, and the good games list isn't going to change :D
By then ps2 plus kingdom hearts 1 and 2 plus a fe other should cost less than 75 total :D

Kningdom hearts both 1 and 2.

And all of the god of war titles.

mM
Around the Network

@MikeB & Parokki

I recommend the entire Jak and Daxter series.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is probably the best platformer to come out on the PS2, and that's no measily feat. It's got superb graphics for one of the earlier titles. It has some length and the gameplay will keep you playing for hours without dropping the controller. Pre-cursor orbs add to the collectability factor (they're more like coins in other games, excepts there would be 2,000 in one area, 500 in another - the other Jak games use precursor orbs much more sparingly).

Jak II: Renegade suffered from the 'trying to copy' GTA syndrome. However, in my opinion, this game excelled GTA in every way (except scale), the story and animations are amazing the gameplay is great. You feel like a real badass when you're playing as Jak, and the mini-game Daxter missions are a real blast. This game is easily the hardest and the longest game in the series.

Jak 3 is, in my opinion, the greatest game ever made (I know I said that Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy was the best platformer ever, but this game incorporates so much more). The scale of this game is unbelievable the graphics are nothing short of breath taking (for it's time, anyway). I've had so much fun it's unbelievable. You like flying missions? It's got it! Driving? Got it. Shooting? Got it. Comedy? Action? Platforming? ANYTHING? Got it. The humour is the funniest yet. This was Jason Rubins last game as part of Naughty Dog, you can tell he wanted to leave with a bang. He suceeded, and he created the loudest and most perfectly sculpted bang ever imaginable. Oh, and Daxter has full missions in this game, and they are so much fun it's unbelievable. This game is a little shorter than the other two, and it's about as difficult as the first Jak (toned down from the second), though just like the other two Jack games the precursor orbs and unlockables add much to the replayability of the game.

The story for the series is somewhat deeper than your average action/platformer it deals with history/religion/strong characters/multiple time lines and it's told in such a funny way.

It's no wonder I'm so excited for Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.

SamuelRSmith said:
@MikeB & Parokki

It's no wonder I'm so excited for Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.

What makes you think Uncharted will be half as good as the Jak series?  I am a huge Jak fan and I haven't seen anything about Uncharted that even hints at it being made by the same developer (I know it is, it just doesn't seem that way).  I can understand you being excited about them making another jak game (please, oh please) but uncharted just seems a little "meh" to me in comparisson. 

@ super_etecoon

I can understand you being excited about them making another jak game (please, oh please) but uncharted just seems a little "meh" to me in comparisson.

I have seen about half an hour of gameplay footage, Uncharted looks like a very well designed game. The platforming & shooting combination as part of the Jak & Daxter games seem to be further improved with new Tomb Raider-like elements added in, graphics are certainly impressive, judging from the footage a great game to look forward to!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I am an expert on obscure and underappreciated games
I would say:
Dead to Rights (avoid the 2nd game)
Fatal Frame
Tales of Abyss
Zone of Enders 2
Onimusha 3
Viewtiful Joe and VJ 2
Disgaea
Dragon Quest VIII
Indigo Prophecy
Maximo
Musashi 2
Obscure (survival horror with co-op)
The Thing
Y`S
Yakuza

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Parokki said:
Actually Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was one of the five games I traded in for my PS2. =P

The acrobatics were awesome and the basic combat mechanics interesting, but I found the game incredibly boring after a while, especially the combat with the 3 or 4 different enemies for the entire game. Go to new area -> kill a few bad guys using exactly same techniques as last time -> solve incredibly obvious acrobacy puzzle -> rinse and repeat. More variety in the gameplay, and a bit more plot would've probably helped it. This is something they worked on with the sequels, isn't it? I might try them out in that case.

I don't think I dislike sandboxes in general, but the whole gangsta-criminal themes annoy me with the GTAs. It's an "I don't like it" type thing instead of a "It's bad" thing, so I don't have to backup my argument, right? =P

You just mocked my all times favorite game :o The controls where simple and easy to pick up & play ... the enemies where put there just to add some combat , and it was IMO the last thing developers where concerned about . The graphics/sound/story ... all worked together so well , that they created one of the most breathtaking worlds that I had ever seen ... a true fairytale IMO , and one that nobody should miss out on ... WW and T2T where good , and the combat got complex , but in the same time the story got to violent ... you would like it probably much more than SoT , but for me no game will ever pass the masterpiece that is Sands of Time :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!