By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Finally bought a PS2, please recommend games

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy used games? The gamespot near my college had most games over 2 years old for

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

What makes you think Uncharted will be half as good as the Jak series? 

I reacted the same way like you six years ago when I saw the first screens of Jax and Daxter.
When I finally played J and D it doesn't dissapointed me at all.

I think Samuel and I just expect a great game of naugty dog so far they didn't have dissapoint me in ten years.

Well you said no multi-plat I know :D But I haven't seen mention of Timesplitters Future Perfect. That game is so bad-ass.

Huge honorable mention to Zone of Enders 2, that game is friggin intense sometimes :D

Odin's Sphere

Ratchet and Clank obviously

Dead to Rights was pretty good

Xenosaga I found to be a pretty good, Very traditional with a HUGE emphasis on story. But slightly on the JRPG side with it's story.

Twisted Metal Black was awesome :P

Fatal Frame was tasty :D

Disgaea is friggin sweet :D

Theres a bunch more but I can't quite put them here at work :D I'll get carried away!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Jak and Daxter series(Great platforming and action-get all three)

The Mark of Kri(A stealth action game with an M rating that is animated like a Disney movie)

Bully(Great environment without all the gangsters and hoes mentality of GTA)

Zone of the Enders 2(One of the greatest mech games ever, but do not buy the first, it's average at best)

Tenchu:Wrath of Heaven(Great followup to the original PS1 games, stealth action ninja game)

Gungrave and Gungrave:Overdose(Great arcade style action shooter, something SEGA would have put on the Dreamcast)

Maximo and Maximo and the Army of Zin(Great hack-n-slash action game. Like a 3D Super Ghouls and Ghosts without the insane difficulty)

Onimusha series(Resident Evil with swords and bows in feudal Japan. Not worth playing them all but try at least the first one)

Castlevania:Lament of Innocence(The only decent 3D Castlevania game ever, still nothing compared to the 2D offerings though)

Yakuza(Part GTA part Shenmue, pretty decent sandbox-like game)

SEGA Genesis Collection(If you've ever enjoyed the Genesis, this is a MUST get, 10x cheaper than buying them all seperately through Wii's Virtual Console)

Dark Cloud 1 and 2(Absolutely must own games, true gems, action/adventure/RPG games)

ICO(I see you we're interested in playing this, GOOD, one of my favorite games ever, any console, and the best PS2 exclusive in my opinion)

Escape From Monkey Island(Great PC style adventure game)

Fatal Frame II:Crimson Butterfly(I've played the other two and didn't like them much, but 2 is really good, Japanese horror fare)

Shadow of Destiny(Boring action but great story with amazing multiple endings, the short length is a blessing for multiple playthroughs)

Monster Rancher 4(Great breeding game, picking monsters out of different CDs still never gets old)

Culdcept(An RPG board game, very slept on by the masses)

Midway Arcade Treasures 1,2 and 3(Awesome old school compilations)

Virtua Fighter 4:Evolution(Best 3D fighting game ever made)

Tekken 5 and Tekken Tag Tournament(Both great 3D fighters)

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core(Best 2D fighter of this generation)

Soulcalibur III(A faster version of Tekken with weapons to boot, insanely unbalanced fighter though)

Ace Combat Zero:The Belkan War(Great multiplayer puts this above 4 and 5, great flight action title)

Rez(Hard to explain, but music and action, do not pass this one up)

Amplitude and Frequency(Great rhythm games from the Guitar Hero guys)

Gitaroo Man(Music and platforming, great game)

Klonoa 2(Great platformer)

Sly Cooper series(Platforming and stealth)

Odin Sphere(Great 2D RPG/Strategy hybrid)

Rogue Galaxy(By the Dark Cloud team, great action RPG)

Half Life(If you never got to play it on the PC, pick up this version)

Time Crisis 2 and 3(Classic rail-shooting games)

Silpheed:The Lost Planet(Great 2d rail-shooting spaceship game)

R-Type Final(The last R-Type game ever, and the best by far, 2D side scrolling shooter)

Contra Shattered Soldier(Classic Contra gameplay, back to 2D)

Romance of the Three Kingdoms series(If you have all the patience in the world, these sllloooowww strategy games are pretty good and in-depth)

GrimGrimoire(Great 2D real time strategy JRPG oddity, supposed to be pretty good)

Disgaea and Disgaea 2(Some of the best turn-based strategy games ever)

Gladius(Strategy/RPG where you get to live out your Gladiator fantasies)

That's all. I tried to abide by your rules, so I didn't mention series you'd played, gave you only exclusives, and tried to avoid genres you don't like. Hope this helps. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@MikeB

If you like Jak 3, you'll like Jak 1 and 2, but I should warn you that Jak 1 is pure platforming of the highest order, you only ride this weird hover bike like 5 times, and you can pick up a fireball power up. Awesome game. Jak 2 still has WAAAYY more platforming than 3, but not as much as 1, and Jak has actual weapons in this one, it feels almost like GTA sometimes. Jak 3 was easy as pie compared to Jak 1 and 2, and there was way too much racing. I think Jak 1 is my favorite, just because of the vibe I get from it.....the other 3 were almost apocalyptic, the first one is kind of utopian in a way, I still kick it up once in a while just to explore. PS2's Mario 64, in my opinion, I get the same feeling from the both a lot of the time.

Jak 1 and 2 = Best platformers on PS2. Then Sly Cooper 1 and 2, more 1 than 2, and then the Ratchet and Clank series, then Jak 3. 

Around the Network

@Onyxmeth

Castlevania Curse Of Darkness was way better than Lament of Innocence, IMO.

Also, I sank SOOOOOO much freaking time into Dark Cloud 2.....that game was probably my favorite game of all last gen.....

:@Onyxmeth.

Maximo is still insane difficult when you want to get 100% in every level (or I am the only one who thinks this :s?)

@ SamuelRSmith

Jak 3 is, in my opinion, the greatest game ever made (I know I said that Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy was the best platformer ever, but this game incorporates so much more). The scale of this game is unbelievable the graphics are nothing short of breath taking (for it's time, anyway). I've had so much fun it's unbelievable. You like flying missions? It's got it! Driving? Got it. Shooting? Got it. Comedy? Action? Platforming? ANYTHING? Got it. The humour is the funniest yet. This was Jason Rubins last game as part of Naughty Dog, you can tell he wanted to leave with a bang.

I have now completed Jak 3, I love impressive boss battles and Jak 3's end game boss is very impressive! The vehicle section of the fight is truly stunning.

He suceeded, and he created the loudest and most perfectly sculpted bang ever imaginable. Oh, and Daxter has full missions in this game, and they are so much fun it's unbelievable.

Daxter rocket riding was a lot of fun! 8-)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales