By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its CLEARLY a TIE at E3.....first time EVER

Yoshi wins by default

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

It's a tie now, but I think Nintendo wins in the end.

The other two have validated the new paradigm. Right now there is a lot of hyperbole and speculation about technology(which this industry is not inherently about), but once the dust has settled there will be a lot going on.

Right now it's either a tie, or hyperbolically a win from Sony and Microsoft. But I believe it will be looked back on as the Nintendo show, it's a moment handed to them. In the most fancy, hyperbolic and glamorous way possible. They(Nintendo) have this paradigm by the balls, but it will not be clear until every gamer has accepted it, with the momentary aid of sparkle magic from the HD twins. This is a dream come true for Nintendo.

axumblade said:
SosusOCR said:
Meh, it was so close anyone could argue that Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft won. I think they all won, no one really stood out.

I think....we as gamers are the real winners

For sure!

AkibaFan said:

ITs a TIE guys, for the first time ever

No it's not a TIE , we have three losers this year.

Noone showed anything really big and interesting and unexpected.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

FKNetwork said:
papflesje said:
They were very good conferences, although I feel that Ninty needed metroid - mario AND zelda to score major points.

Xbox 360 set the bar high, I feel that Sony reached it with their press conference, but don't really care which one really "won" because both consoles gave it a heck of a good time the past two days.

How did Sony match it exactly? most the show was PSP and video montages, very lame for the PS3, PSP lineup is cool though,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That PSP line-up was very impressive imho (and I don't even like handhelds).

Milo (from Xbox) seems cool, but also seems like a lot of "ooh aaah"'s and little substance. It reminds me of the emotion engine and things like that. With some skill, they whipped up something that seemingly reacts to what you say, but I wonder if that thing would've done anything good if they picked someone from the audience to go bananas against it).

Project Natal looks very promising and is insanely cool, although that gif where the girl goes loco, is my biggest fear for the thing.. that it becomes a gadget.

Sony's motion control goes the same way. It looked neat, had some "improvements" but seems very much "working stage" and because of both items not receiving any window of "release", I'm not betting on either.

Sony imho did well to promote the PSP and its barrage of high profile titles, and also managed to secure FF XIV, a R* exclusive (so far >_>) and things like that ModNation Racers and Assassin's Creed 2 interactivity with the PSP. Count in uncharted 2 looking amazing and Team Ico's The last Guardian and imho they've matched Alan Wake and the multiple Halo's. They won't sell as much probably, but they are equal to the task of supporting the console. Heck, I was even surprised they barely showed Fat Princess and Ratchet & Clank: Crack in Time.

Both conferences were equal to me. Project Natal has the most promise in the future, but I'll hold my horse until they come with something specific instead of "look at my dick-slinging, ain't it long?" from both Sony and MS.

Around the Network
misterd said:
Only seen Nintendo and Sony so far. I have MS's on DVR.

Nintendo gives the same predictable delivery - their presenters all over-enunciate. over rehearsed, stale humor and forced laughter, they show too much footage of people playing games, not enough of the games themselves, and far too much time explaining a philosophy we all get now (see the Sony Dildo and MS Natal - they get it). And it was painful watching Iwata talk about a gaming accessory he hopes will put us to sleep. WTF? That said, they mostly delivered the goods in the game department, though I'm not sure SMB Wii suffices as the big holiday release. Metroid.... just wow. So while the show was in need of some pizzaz, the WiiMote+ and WSR will be what gets the most attention outside the gaming community, and the announcements of new Mario, Metroid and Zelda for 2010 will get gamers moist. The software problem is improving, if not totally resolved.

Sony generally gives a better presentation. They have the bigger stage, the crowd seems a bit livelier (its clear the gaming press has largely passed from the Nintendo to Playstation generation). Most of the presenters were more relaxed, ad libbed a bit, had fun at their own expense (the one exception was the guy presenting the motion device - it sounded as if Sony were holding his family hostage). They had a lot of good looking games, and showed a lot of them, probably too much. The presentation just dragged on for too long IMO. As always its a bit painful watching some of the ways they... avoid the truth in their presentations. Avoiding how the GlowStick is a shameless (but understandable) WiiMote knockoff, which is still early in the testing phases. Showing off games like Assassin's Creed 2, not exactly mentioning its a PS3 exclusive, but not complaining if you make that conclsion. Saying FF14 is PS3 exclusive sounded less triumphant than defensive. Glossing over the PSP's software troubles. Hell, the whole PSP presentation made me think of a terminal cancer patient talking about their plans for the future. Sure, it might happen, but...

In the end, Sony tapdanced a decent show (albiet one in need of heavy editing), but I don't know that they convinced anyone that Home was going to take off, that the PSP would turn its software issues around, or that the PS3 would really be able to close the gap on its competitors.

Eh, Home has already taken off.......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I would give it to Sony, though narrowly. Mostly it was the equal attention to PSP and PS3 that put it ahead. The motion control was more of a liability, i mean, i laughed when i saw them doing archery with their device, the same exact thing that Nintendo had done only hours before, and with a device that was a final product, not a prototype.

From what i've read, Nintendo goes in 2nd, though again narrowly. Mario Galaxy 2 and Other M saved their asses from disaster, and put them over Microsoft, just because both games were very unexpected. They mainly get points for having their advanced motion solution that is here, now, and ready to roll out next month. A working solution with actual software. Not just a promise, but fulfillment.

Microsoft goes in 3rd, though again, quite narrowly. Natal was impressive, but too immaterial to really make the difference for them. If they, perhaps, had had a better on-stage demo, as well as a release date this year, it would have helped. Their software base was solid, but ultimately rather expected. Shadow Complex and Left 4 Dead 2 were the only games that came out of left field, everything else had been spoiled. \

If you judge the conferences objectively in terms of content, i think that this is the best answer. Sony had the most new content, Nintendo had their shockers, and their actual working present control scheme, and Microsoft had the least fresh, unexpected content, though not by much.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'll stick to what I said before and what most the UK papers and websites say:

Microsoft --> Nintendo --> Sony

Not much love for Nintendo and Sony in the UK after the E3 show although I expect Wii to continue selling like hot cakes as always lol.

FKNetwork said:

I'll stick to what I said before and what most the UK papers and websites say:

Microsoft --> Nintendo --> Sony

Not much love for Nintendo and Sony in the UK after the E3 show although I expect Wii to continue selling like hot cakes as always lol.

+1

No Tie

EA and Bioware are the winners

Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, and Old Republic

"They think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy, it is I who am MAD!"

"Bolshe, luchshe, I kruche"