By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy 14 Exclusive PS3!!!

It is a bigger deal than our jRPG-centric community might think. MMO games have as much potential as motion controls, and more and more people are getting involved in them every year. MMORPGs are the fastest growing segment of PC gaming.

And yet, the genre is basically missing from consoles. Sony, however, stepped in to change that with their own online games and FFXIV (timed?) exclusivity.

Around the Network

I understand that people are upset about another main-series MMO, but come on, the game did look awesome. A fantasy-world Final Fantasy -- I wasn't sure they were ever going to do another one. As far as the weight of the announcement goes, with Versus already announced, can you honestly come up with a bigger possible surprise for Sony's conference than this?

At the same, I hope it goes multiplat, so everybody gets to play it and it doesn't get hated on until the last fanboy retires from the internet...

I'm excited for it!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

To all the people downplaying FFXIV. We know little about this game yet.
Can we atleast pass judgment when there's a solid information about this game?

You're missing the point, the game is a Final Fantasy main title, it could be a MMORPG, a SRPG, hell it could be a FPSRPG, it has Final Fantasy in it, if you don't like that it's online that's cool, that's your taste, but don't downplay it like this is not a big announcement, it's a FF main title for God's sakes...

Another thing to add is that when Final Fantasy XI came out the main problem was that PS2 didn't have a hard drive by default and the online was not that great on the console, that0s why it didn't sell well on the PS2, this time is different, the PS3 has a hard drive and PSN is tons of times better now...

Now talking as a Final Fantasy fan (and a FFXI recovered addict) i'm already waiting for this game, come to papa XD...

Around the Network

i support FF14 been online specially after been a wow adict for 2 years, if they can at least match WOW this is a HUGE WIN

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

WKC has an online to right? What if it's like WKC?

The Anarchyz said:
You're missing the point, the game is a Final Fantasy main title, it could be a MMORPG, a SRPG, hell it could be a FPSRPG, it has Final Fantasy in it, if you don't like that it's online that's cool, that's your taste, but don't downplay it like this is not a big announcement, it's a FF main title for God's sakes...

Another thing to add is that when Final Fantasy XI came out the main problem was that PS2 didn't have a hard drive by default and the online was not that great on the console, that0s why it didn't sell well on the PS2, this time is different, the PS3 has a hard drive and PSN is tons of times better now...

Now talking as a Final Fantasy fan (and a FFXI recovered addict) i'm already waiting for this game, come to papa XD...

And just like many had said, FFXI has been considered the black sheep of the series because it did not bring what made FF such a great series, ya know, the storyline, the characters and their distinctive characteristics, etc. And just FYI, FFXI came out for PC where it sold better, why is that? Cuz  that's where MMORPGs perform better. As a console user I wanna hop online for a frag fest that I can finish in 10 minutes then afterwards I like to get into my RPGs and live the story that was written for my characters. RPGs are awesome because of their book-like storyline, you will never get that in a MMORPG due to their flaws such as grinding, farming, dealing with immature audiences that can ruin your good moments, etc.

What are you looking at, nerd?

FFXIII - single player
FFXIIIv - single player
FFXIV - MMORPG

Do we need 3 single player FF games in 1-1,5 years?

MMO is GREAT! =)
I hope, this time they make really amazing MMO FF game.
PS3 FTW!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

To all the people downplaying FFXIV, I doubt you will say the same thing if FFXIV also goes to Xbox360 or Wii.
Why would SE announced FFXIV as a PSN exclusive? Because PSN is free, the gamers are more likely to pay to play FFXIV.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX