By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Halo 3 save Xbox 360 from Wii?

HappySqurriel said:
h2dk said:
Imyourvillain said:
..... Most people who want a 360 for Halo 3 bought theirs a long time ago, at least that's the case for people in my city.

Perhaps just the people that shop at your store. Unless you live in a podunk town (since you called it a city, I doubt that to be the case) it would be difficult to generalize the whole population based on your store.

I know one other person that owned a 360 prior to this month...now I know 12. (My age puts me in a different demographic, for example I only know 3 Wii owners counting myself and zero PS3 owners)

Well ...

I'm 27 and I know 8 people between the age of 25 and 35 who own a Wii with 6 people who in the same age group who are intending to buy one before Christmas. At the same time I own a 360 and know 2 other people who own 360's with one planning on buying one before Christmas. I know no one who has or is buying a PS3.

You still haven't posted your demographic information to demonstrate that you're in a different demographic.

I guess I would fall in your 36+ demographic and most of the 360 owners I know fall in the same group.  As for Wii, I bought one for my 6 year old...his 6 year old classmate has one and my 10 year old nephew has one

Around the Network
W29 said:

Thats only one store. There are more stores in America.

No, there is only Wal-Mart.

Every other store in the world + Wal-Mart = Wal-Mart 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

nero said:

BusinessWeek’s Bruce Nussbaum has posted an editorial in which he asks if Halo 3 can save Xbox 360 from Nintendo’s Wii, which is currently the best-selling new system.

For hard-core gamers, this week’s introduction of Halo 3 is a gigantic event and this third iteration of the Halo game series is said to be totally awesome. That will certainly help push Microsoft’s Xbox 360 into the black and may be the last chance for Xbox to become a truly profitable operation.

But the real issue is whether the Xbox can take on Nintendo’s Wii which is now the No. 1 best-selling game console in the US. And the answer is probably not.

Why not?

Click here to find out.

NO! Why not? Nintendo ain't killing the 360; it's not even targeting the same demographic (where they overlap tends to be gamers who will but multiple consoles anyway). IMO MS needs to ignore Nintendo (as they are ignoring the 360), and just fix a few things: 1) Forget the fight- finish the price cut. The damn machine's nearly 2 years old. Price it accordingly, and their sales will boost. 2) Get out the Falcon. Show consumers that the machine is not just covered, but FIXED. 3) F*ck Halo. H3 needed advertising like a new SW movie. Anyone who cared, knew already. Rabid fans will buy it anyway, and the rest will be swayed more by word of mouth and reviews than standees in 7-11. Put some of that green into new, deserving IPs. Don't let Mass Effect become the new Jade Dragon.

Smash_Brother said:
W29 said:

Thats only one store. There are more stores in America.

No, there is only Wal-Mart.

Every other store in the world + Wal-Mart = Wal-Mart 

Wat?!? you must be joking.

You were only at one store. Did you travel the U.S. to see if other stores were like that? I Dont think so. So STFU!

Oh, yes, of course Halo 3 will make the Xbox 360 defeat the Wii, and Playstation 3. In fact, because of Halo 3, Xbox 360 will sell a total of 245 million units, and become the greatest selling gaming console of all time. It's Halo 3. You do not argue with Halo 3. Halo 3 is your Master... Cheif... Halo 3 is... It is... It really is... Halo 3 is the sun, the moon, and the stars. Halo 3 will bring world peace. Halo 3 is more important than oxygen.

Why will the Xbox 360 win in Japan? Because of Halo 3. Why will Xbox 360 defeat the iPod? Because of Halo 3. Why did Bill Gates become so rich, many years ago? Because of Halo 3. Why did Christopher Columbus discover America in 1492? Because of Halo 3. Why will the entire world be taken over by gigantic ants in the year 2,032? Because of Halo 3. Why does water evaporate? Because of Halo 3. Why is Halo 3? Because it's Halo 3. Not only does Halo 3 play nice, but it even smells nice! Why? Because it's Halo 3.

What will Halo 4 do? Sorry... I am not worthy enough to talk about that game. Nobody is. It is too sacred.

Around the Network
W29 said:

You were only at one store. Did you travel the U.S. to see if other stores were like that? I Dont think so. So STFU!

Wal-Mart is life. Life is Wal-Mart.

To deny these simple facts is to deny the air you breathe, your dreams while you sleep, the very fabric of your soul is nay but an extension of the glory and wonder that is Wal-Mart.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Since when did the 360 need saving. Last time I checked its still selling between 150k to 250k a month. Also the 360 is #1 in terms of software sales and its beating the ps3 by 6 million or so. As for nintendo and sony not trying, thats bullshit. Look at SMG, Metroid Prime 3, SSBB, LAIR, UNCHARTED, WARHAWK, Ratchet. I'm pretty sure both companies invested alot in those games.

WOW alex its not that serious. I remember you did a similar post in another thread before.

Smash_Brother said:
W29 said:

Wal-Mart is life. Life is Wal-Mart.

To deny these simple facts is to deny the air you breathe, your dreams while you sleep, the very fabric of your soul is nay but an extension of the glory and wonder that is Wal-Mart.

oh he understands me. Thanks for listening Super Smash Bros. Melee that belongs to The Nintendo Wii fan

heh, I WAS kidding, actually.

What I meant was that I was flat f*ck STUNNED that none of those people bought a 360. There were three of the Halo 3 edition 360s and even none of those sold.

It boggled my mind, honestly. I know it's just ONE store, but THAT many people.

Like I said, Halo 3 numbers will be amazing, though. I've never seen a Gamestop that packed before, ever.