By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Halo 3 save Xbox 360 from Wii?

I want to believe that W29 is purposely ignoring the humor-factor in Smash_Brother and Alex's posts and treating them like they're serious even though he knows they're not.

I'd really like to believe that.  W29, you're not helping.

Around the Network

I would say no.

If Halo and Halo 2 were what pushed the XBOX barely over the Gamecube, I doubt that Halo 3 by itself could do it against the Wii...since the Wii is no gamecube...(it's two of them w duct tape!!! ultimate victory!)

well back on track, if anything, it might help the 360 in the short term.

Words Of Wisdom said:

I want to believe that W29 is purposely ignoring the humor-factor in Smash_Brother and Alex's posts and treating them like they're serious even though he knows they're not.

I'd really like to believe that.  W29, you're not helping.

Actually, I'm sitting back and laughing at the computer and typing seriously. Don't make assumptions yet. I'm being smart back at them.

Soriku said:
leo-j said:
I think the xbox 360 is the system trying its best to obtain the market. Sony isnt even trying, nintendo isnt even trying either.

I think Sony tries too hard to do things right, MS is just spending money here and there to get stuff, and all Nintendo has to do is sit back and relax and watch the money flow in.

Right and as long as Windows is up and the primary OS. Microsoft will contiune to purchase and spend money on game development.

Happy for Nintendo I think they need an round of applause

Congrats, and keep up the good work Nintendo, just don't do any Gamecube flaws with third parties.

friedtofu said:
superchunk said:
@ friedtofu

I can see how you would come to the first part of your theory based on the tech gap between the three systems. However, you seem to ignore history in your logic. Nearly every 'winner' of the generation was not the most powerful system. Basically that extra power didn't really matter. As devs start to focus on the system with the largest user base, the games are all tailored for that system. Thus, what may actually happen, is games will be made on Wii first. Then ported to 360/ps3. Thus, the extra power is null and void as the difference in games will be minimal.

Right now, many wii 3rd party games are being built on Ps2 engines due to its large userbase and the devs are only creating new engines on the 360. As xmas passes and 2008 progresses we will see Wii's userbase expand further. This will resource shift will then solidify around the Wii, just as it did the PS2 last gen.

Basically, unless this holiday shows a major advance for either ps3 and/or 360 over the wii, the wii will have won and will get the king's share of all 3rd party support. Granted, only kicker would be MS's money and buying exclusives.

I know, if anything Ive always been a believer in "the most powerful system wont necessarily come out first". But for some reason,

it just seems like this time around, the Wii will lose alot of its appeal over time. As time passes, and as more and more gamers become multiplatform owners, the majority of the big blockbuster titles will be on the PS360 platforms. I just feel that the more powerful hardware is more appealing in this generations long haul.

What about this, alot of debate has gone on about the 360/PS3 battle in 08. That the PS3 will finally have a year of games worthy of its name and that the 360 will likely lose some ground to this impending lineup. Well, it seems that the Wii hasnt been factored into this equation too much, having been already relegated to "it won" status. But doesnt it have the most to lose, especially in Japan?

Good discussion though.

true, the media has been focused on the 360/ps3 battle, and that one may actually be more important since they are battling for the exact same space. Wii on the other hand is more of a primary/secondary console. What I mean by that is I really only see this type of home ownership. wii only, 360/wii, ps3/wii, with a much smaller number of people who have the 360 or ps3 alone or these two together. This has to do with them have much the same library and very high prices.

This in the end will only help the Wii. As it will be the sidekick to everyone and thus win overall with the most sales. Plus, there are a whole lot more casual gamers than 'hardcore'. Lastly, I just don't see the motion gaming idea going away. I think it will be on all next gen consoles in some form, if not nearly exact copies of Wii's style. 

Around the Network
eatrice said:
I would say no.

If Halo and Halo 2 were what pushed the XBOX barely over the Gamecube, I doubt that Halo 3 by itself could do it against the Wii...since the Wii is no gamecube...(it's two of them w duct tape!!! ultimate victory!)

well back on track, if anything, it might help the 360 in the short term.

Good opinion, but I disagree.

superchunk said:
friedtofu said:
superchunk said:
@ friedtofu

I can see how you would come to the first part of your theory based on the tech gap between the three systems. However, you seem to ignore history in your logic. Nearly every 'winner' of the generation was not the most powerful system. Basically that extra power didn't really matter. As devs start to focus on the system with the largest user base, the games are all tailored for that system. Thus, what may actually happen, is games will be made on Wii first. Then ported to 360/ps3. Thus, the extra power is null and void as the difference in games will be minimal.

Right now, many wii 3rd party games are being built on Ps2 engines due to its large userbase and the devs are only creating new engines on the 360. As xmas passes and 2008 progresses we will see Wii's userbase expand further. This will resource shift will then solidify around the Wii, just as it did the PS2 last gen.

Basically, unless this holiday shows a major advance for either ps3 and/or 360 over the wii, the wii will have won and will get the king's share of all 3rd party support. Granted, only kicker would be MS's money and buying exclusives.

I know, if anything Ive always been a believer in "the most powerful system wont necessarily come out first". But for some reason,

it just seems like this time around, the Wii will lose alot of its appeal over time. As time passes, and as more and more gamers become multiplatform owners, the majority of the big blockbuster titles will be on the PS360 platforms. I just feel that the more powerful hardware is more appealing in this generations long haul.

What about this, alot of debate has gone on about the 360/PS3 battle in 08. That the PS3 will finally have a year of games worthy of its name and that the 360 will likely lose some ground to this impending lineup. Well, it seems that the Wii hasnt been factored into this equation too much, having been already relegated to "it won" status. But doesnt it have the most to lose, especially in Japan?

Good discussion though.

true, the media has been focused on the 360/ps3 battle, and that one may actually be more important since they are battling for the exact same space. Wii on the other hand is more of a primary/secondary console. What I mean by that is I really only see this type of home ownership. wii only, 360/wii, ps3/wii, with a much smaller number of people who have the 360 or ps3 alone or these two together. This has to do with them have much the same library and very high prices.

This in the end will only help the Wii. As it will be the sidekick to everyone and thus win overall with the most sales. Plus, there are a whole lot more casual gamers than 'hardcore'. Lastly, I just don't see the motion gaming idea going away. I think it will be on all next gen consoles in some form, if not nearly exact copies of Wii's style. 

I agree, the statement about Wii is more of a primary/secondary console. I will eventually buy a Wii because its a good system to own, but 360 has the most games I like. But I will use the 360 as primary and use the Wii as a secondary when I get bored with the 360.

Good statement superchunk.

W29 said:

I agree, the statement about Wii is more of a primary/secondary console. I will eventually buy a Wii because its a good system to own, but 360 has the most games I like. But I will use the 360 as primary and use the Wii as a secondary when I get bored with the 360.

Good statement superchunk.

Yup. Even if the futures "biggest" games are coming out on PS360, it seems everyone will still have a Wii connected to their TV's.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

The Wii has it's problems, the 360 has it's own.

Let me just say this : Even if you're a core gamer, you can still be screwed by the 360's library, it's just a matter of game preferences. :p

Note : The 2 360 games I want are both from Japan. ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

@h2dk,

Your software comparison is out of context. Life of the console plays a big role in sales. Taking sales of one from year 2 and one from year 1 doesn't mean much when you consider that fact that libraries are significantly smaller in the early part of a consoles life and grow as the console ages.

Looking at July of this year and July of last year in the US we see this...

360 - July 2006 Wii - July 2007
Week 1: 271,778 447,597
Week 2: 361,896 429,278
Week 3: 566,947 * 444,818
Week 4: 305,775 457,893
Mean:
376,599.0 444,896.5

*This week coincided with NCAA Footbal being released, which acounts for 293,330 units of software for the week for x360.

I will also point out the extreme amounts of variance in the 360 software sales compared to steady numbers from the Wii. I am not sure what the cause of this is but it doesn't seem coincidental.

In any case, we can even use your comparison to show how this sort of comparison is really not that bad for the Wii, which says a lot by itself...

Lets look at the last 10 weeks....

360Wii
1Sept 15th 731k 422k
2Sept 8th 872k560k
3Sept 1st 767k 789k
4Aug 25th 934k 466k
5Aug18th 1011k529k
6Aug 11th 305k 500k
7Aug 4th 348k 564k
8July 28th 462k 458k
9July 21st 669k 445k
10July 14th 369k429k
  Mean: 646.8k516.2k

Notable (Top 20) Software Releases by Week:
(Blue = Wii, Green = 360, Black = Both)

1) Skate(360), NHL '08 (360)
2) Stranglehold (360), Medal of Honor: Airborne (360)
3) Tiger PGA '08 (360 & Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Metroid Prime 3 (Wii)
4) Bioshock (360), Two Worlds(360)
5) Madden NFL '08 (360 & Wii)
6) Boogie (Wii)
7) Mario Strikers Charged (Wii)
8) NASCAR '08 (360)
9) NCAA Football '08 (360)
10) None

Ok for the analysis of this information: The chart shows that relative to the 360 the Wii is actually doing pretty well considering this is still its first year of release. The library is going to be much smaller and it has had far less time to get its name and its products recognized and get people thinking about them. So in that regards I think this chart is quite favorable to the Wii in terms of sales #'s.

Now when you look at the software release information I provided with the chart to give the chart more meaning I think my point becomes even more clear. The head start the 360 has gives it a nice advantage in the sheer number of releases being put out. In this sample we see the 360 get 11 releases in the 10 weeks while the Wii gets 5 releases in the same time span. Considering half as many new releases and only about 20% less software sales I would call that fabulous. But considering the fact that madden is essentially a 360 release in terms of effort put into the two products, the ratio is more like 3:1 than 2:1.

Now if this time next year the Wii is not seeing similar release situations that would be a cause for concern, but considering the head start the 360 had and the big titles released during this period for the console compared to the titles released for the Wii I would call these numbers very favorable for the Wii in light of the circumstances. The 360 has has a very good line-up over the last 10 weeks and to be putting up comparable numbers against that in its first year is a win in my book.  And I am sure MS isn't upset about these sales numbers either =)

To Each Man, Responsibility