By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Halo 3 save Xbox 360 from Wii?

BusinessWeek’s Bruce Nussbaum has posted an editorial in which he asks if Halo 3 can save Xbox 360 from Nintendo’s Wii, which is currently the best-selling new system.

For hard-core gamers, this week’s introduction of Halo 3 is a gigantic event and this third iteration of the Halo game series is said to be totally awesome. That will certainly help push Microsoft’s Xbox 360 into the black and may be the last chance for Xbox to become a truly profitable operation.

But the real issue is whether the Xbox can take on Nintendo’s Wii which is now the No. 1 best-selling game console in the US. And the answer is probably not.

Why not?

Click here to find out.

Around the Network

No

Until Microsoft get in Japan, they will never be no1

360 will stay with the Wii until galaxy comes out, then it is all over.

Shrug, for a week or two they'll be above Wii sales. Not sure it will be 680k above Wii sales, but they should be highest selling console.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

dude, when galaxy is out, there is no console war left..so the answer is, its saved until we hit mid october

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

I agree with jhlennon1, they need to find a way to catch on in Japan and with casuals and that (in my opinion) will require them to come up with new and innovative software and hardware (peripherals in the 360's case). All that plus a $200 price point.

Halo 3 will attract some of the Xbox 1's hardcore fanbase that hasn't already made the jump to Xbox 360 (there're millions of them) but it's very far from being able to draw in the tens of millions of people that will be required if the 360 is ever to seriously challenge the Wii (the odds of which are stacked very much against Microsoft).

I think the only way Microsoft could ever hope to achieve any of that in the next few years would be to allow people who have a passion for games, lots of creativity, and a real visionary run the show rather than just corporate suits. They basically need a Satoru Iwata type of person running things.

@ tc:
Nope...

What does "saving from the Wii" mean?

The 360 beating the Wii worldwide? Not going to happen.

The 360 beating the Wii in North America? It might happen, but it's too early to tell.

The 360 beating the Wii in global weekly sales for a while? Probably for a few weeks at least.

Nah. They will struggle to beat the Wii for this month in the US alone (hardware) - and WW I doubt they have a chance (maybe). Next month, Wii will definitely be back on top you would think.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

No, but it will put some real distance between MS and Sony.

I don't think anything can stop the Wii train. It's going to dominate (though probably not the ratio the PS1/PS2 carried).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/