By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 at 399$ on 3rd year is ahead of GC(99$) by 8 mln. =)

Lol @ this thread. Comparing the PS3 with two console from last generation.

Around the Network

@TheTruth, actually the PS3 all together has lost Sony about 2.5 billion dollars since 2006. The xbox has lost microsoft 9 billion dollars, just the xbox. Then the 360 has lost microsoft 600 million dollars. There is a thread about this.

rafichamp said:
@TheTruth, actually the PS3 all together has lost Sony about 2.5 billion dollars since 2006. The xbox has lost microsoft 9 billion dollars, just the xbox. Then the 360 has lost microsoft 600 million dollars. There is a thread about this.

spot on Rafi.Also the 360 is past its peak so ther not much 360 can do to increase its very low profit because of the low price it already has.On the other hand PS3 is just getting up now.They can still make 250$ worth of price cut over the next couple of year to boost its profits as the price of the console decreases.And as you can see even with the double price tag,PS3 is selling equal to 360.

Hey Crazzy, you better pick up the slack - ps3beats360 is outstaging you with the same schtick.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

You can't beat Crazzyman with logic. Quit trying.

Around the Network
rafichamp said:

The loss for SCE since 2006 includes the profit made by PS2 and PSP as well as the loss made by PS3... so if SCE loses that much during the time span, it means PS3 lost more than that... see TWRoO's earlier post for estimate

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

rafichamp said:

Umm not even close. Sony's own financials have the ENTIRE GAMING DIVISION losing 4 billion since 2006.

The ps2 AND psp were profitable....so the ps3 wasted their profits AND 4 billion $$$$$$ more.

The ps3 NEGATED ALL of the psp AND PS2 profits in ADDITION to the 4 billion in sony's financial reports.

Microsoft NEVER Lost anywhere near 9 billion on the original xbox.

I have reported you for lying.

How unimpressive Considering the PS2 was a success last gen and how the GC Bombed last gen also and the fact the Nintendo made money off from the GC and sony hasn't with the PS3, that's what sony gets when your brand is built upon by casuals and by that totally alienate your brand by marketing the PS3 with a whopping 600 Dollars...Yep.

rafichamp said:
@radioio, Microsoft lost 9 billion dollars with the xbox, got a excuse for that?

1. It's got "an" excuse, not got "a" excuse. :)

2. I never in this or any other post defended M$ for losing money, nor have I ever defended Sony for losing money. Losing money is always bad business. I simply said Nintendo has the best business model because they make money every quarter of every generation (even when they are in dead last) and have consistently made money since the late 1800's. I do however think M$ has done a damn good job of keeping Sony at bay and seem to be widening their lead on an almost weekly basis. I never expected them to still be in second at this point, especially after the "Rings of Death", but they seem to be a step ahead of Sony at every turn this gen. And Sony came into this Gen as the clearly expected winner. Sony is dead last in sales this gen because of Sony, period.

3. I waited in line for 31 hours to get a launch 60g PS3, and that line was very long behind me. Coming off the PS2 the line should have been long. It's still shocking to me that Sony f'd this gen up this bad. I'd love to see an underdog come back, but Sony's bad business and Nintendo's good business are what made last gen's clear winner this gen's loser (up to this point) and vice versa.

4. Sony has LOTS of great announced games coming. The Wii and 360 do not have as many interesting titles announced at this point (though I think the Wii lineup looks good right now, the 360's is either not announced fully yet, or is much weaker than Sony's). Sony could come back in a big way, however every tick of the clock makes it a harder battle. Every 360 sold means another potential PS3 sale might not happen. Not so much with the Wii, but Sony has to start beating M$ on a consistent weekly basis to come back this gen, and that is currently not the case. Maybe with the holiday lineup.......

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Solid_Snake4RD said:
rafichamp said:

spot on Rafi.Also the 360 is past its peak so ther not much 360 can do to increase its very low profit because of the low price it already has.On the other hand PS3 is just getting up now.They can still make 250$ worth of price cut over the next couple of year to boost its profits as the price of the console decreases.And as you can see even with the double price tag,PS3 is selling equal to 360.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

The misinformation in rafis post is hilarious.

The EDD section of Microsoft is $9 billion in the red..... if you split apart Xbox and X360 years it works out around $5 billion for Xbo, and $4billion (but decreasing) for the X360.... although that is assuming that the other things in the EDD made little impact.

The PS3 division of Sony, (SCE) has lost $3.5 billion since the PS3 launch year... but that doesn't take into account any profit made from PS2 or PSP... nor any losses that were made on PS3 R&D before the launch year. (Why do you think they barely made a profit at all in FY2006 when the previous year they made half a billion)

I am pretty certain if you take the PS2 and P out of the equation, the PS3 has lost Sony easily in excess of $6.5 billion... more likely some way between $7 and $7.5 billion.