By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 at 399$ on 3rd year is ahead of GC(99$) by 8 mln. =)

Yes, the PS3 is kicking the Gamecube's butt in sales.

But... the Gamecube destroyed the Dreamcast in sales.

But... the Dreamcast destroyed the Neo-Geo in sales which strangely was outsold by the New Coke

...which in turn was outsold by prune juice

...which has outsold the PS3 and we know that drinking too much prune juice is bad news for everyone.

My conclusion is that if prune juice cost as much as the PS3 that it wouldn't outsell it.  Therefore the PS3 is kicking prune juice's ass.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

CrazzyMan, my sales data has proven superior yours. =)

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=74407&page=1

RolStoppable,
1) How??? It`s IMPOSSIBLE. Do you know REAL numbers how much Sony/Nintendo were losing on HW since PS3/GC launch? Do you know how much money was spent on marketing? on PSN? on Home? On developing nextgen game engines???

3) it`s you started with "GC better games", not me. =) I just proved you, that is a subjecitve thing to say.

4) Because Sony CARE about customers, and want to provide BEST value. That is what matters to them most(they don`t think about profit as primary objective). =)

Anyway,
We came to the point, THAT Sony(while allowing Sony Gaming Devision to lose PROFIT) with selling PS3 at 399$ after 2,5 years is AHEAD of GC at 99$(which didn`t make that MUCH loss, and allowed Gaming devision to stay PROFITABLE (thnx to GBA and DS), though still selling low) by 8 mln. units. =)

L.C.E.C.,
This thread is not about Wii, and i don`t care about Wii SALES, since it still not getting a lot of games - http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6848/ps3603rdpartyfc6.png which are available ONLY on HD systems.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

theprof00 said:
@rol
I think crazzy is trying to address the point that consumers are willing to part with 400$+, whereas you are focusing on the companies profits.

One talks about popularity and one talks about income. Of course it's always necessary to talk about all the factors in the situation but we aren't talking about all the facts are we? We are talking about only 2 aspects. I think any expansion on the original idea should have it's own thread.

The thread talks about selling power of the ps3. If anything in this thread should challenge it, it should be evidence against that popularity, which is the topic at hand.

In fact, because it is such a narrowly focused point, the thread should have been over a while ago. It's like arguing about which controller is better ps3 or 360 and then someone saying that 360 is a better system.

LOL Well, we should take note of a few things.

The Gamecube is simply a gaming console. Nothing more, nothing less. The Gamecube launched after the lukewarm reception of the Nintendo 64 (Nintendo still made a profit). There is no reason the Gamecube should have been priced higher than it was.

The Playstation 3 is touted as this generations most advanced console by many enthusiasts and Sony fanboys alike. It was also launched after the amazingly successful Playstation 2. For the longest time, the Playstation 3 was the cheapest and most functional blu-ray player on the market (a major advantage) backed by one of the largest brands in the gaming industry. Also, the market has grown since then. Market data supports this conclusion.

I mean, most expected the Playstation 3 to sell much better from the start. Everyone expected the Nintendo Gamecube to not perform well from the start. In fact, most believed the Gamecube was Nintendo's last console. So, why is it really that surprising that the PS3 is outselling the gamecube? Maybe this became such a triumph after the abysmal launch and first year sales of the PS3.

Is it really that hard to understand why the cheaper but more profitable Gamecube is being outsold by the more costly (but still taking a loss) Playstation 3? I mean, I used to strongly believe the hardcore videogamers (as well as comic book readers) possessed above average intelligence. But I guess I was totally ignorant to reality.

A better comparison would be the Nintendo Wii and the Playstation 2. I would love to see the Sony fanboys make that comparison.

Also: per console, the PS3 makes more income than the Gamecube did, but the Gamecube made a higher profit per console than the PS3 does.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

jcp234,

So, why is it really that surprising that the PS3 is outselling the gamecube?
Because PS3 launched at 499/599$? Or because PS3 entry price is still 399$?

And definitely, PS3 at 299$ or 199, or 99$ will provide BEST value, than any released console todate at that price.
BUT still, if we compare these consoles as GAMING machines, it`s 399$ entry price VS 99$ entry price for GAMING.

And HOW do you know, that GC losses weren`t covered with GBA and DS profit??? Is it your imagination?

RolStoppable,
1) How much money Sony lost on PSP pricecuts during 2006-2008?
PS3 definitely was initially selling at loss, but by how much you CAN`T even ESTIMATE(to be really close). These numbers are unavailable.
Yet, you don`t know for sure, it`s just only your guesses about software profit and GC loss.

Yes, PS3 VERY likely made some loss, just like PSone or PS2, or even PSP in the first years. Maybe PS3 lost more money, BUT you don`t know HOW much more. You can only guess.
But how much Sony lost on PSN? Home? Marketing? NextGen Game Engines?
So those PS3 vs GC PROFIT thing is just waste of time.

3) Nice, that you realised your mistake. :)

4) Yet, around 4-5 mln. customers bought PS3 at 599$.

Hmm... i just let people to know, that a 399$ GAMING console(with probably better value) is selling by 8 mln. more/better in same lifetime, than a 99$ costing GAMING console. :)

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Shows us the power of the Name Brand Playstation!!

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

RolStoppable,

1) 3,5 bln. $ is Gaming Devision Loss, not PS3.
And you don`t know, how much PS3 cost Sony, only Gaming Devision loss since PS3 launch.
But those cost could be from PSN, Home, Marketing, NextGEN GAMING engine, whcih COST more MONEY.

4) More, than likely. PS3 technology was ahead of it`s time. =)

Sony was sacrificing profit on PSone, PS2 and PSP in first years. They make profit in later years. That is SONY business model.
The GameCube, which as you said had highest rated games? The GAMING console, which after 2 years cost ONLY 99$! =)

twesterm said:
So...you're trying to prove that the PS3 did better than the worst console last gen? Do you also brag when you can beat a 4th grader at any given sport?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that must be the funniest thing i heard all week.

RolStoppable,
Sony was sacrificing profit on PSone, PS2 and PSP in first years. To sell MORE costing product at lower price, to make it MORE AFFORDABLE to people. They make profit in later years. That is SONY business model.
Do you understand? I repeat: Do you understand???

The best games of this generation are:
Uncharted
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ratchet & Clank
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
Killzone 2
Motorstorm:Pacific Rift
Naruto:Ultimate Ninja Storm
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Warhawk
New Siren game
Demon`s Soul
inFAMOUS

on PS2 there were even MORE best games(50-100). =)

Could Crazzy and Rol trying to persuade each other be the first observable form of the so elusive perpetual motion? If so, I want the Nobel Prize for Physics for pointing it out first!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!