By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Empire: Total War personal review.

I hate the fact that my pc isn't good enough to run it.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network
c03n3nj0 said:
I hate the fact that my pc isn't good enough to run it.

man i know what you mean even on the lowest settings my pc chugs i can hear it scream...... im going to try lowering the resolution or maybe in the fall build a dedicated gaming rig 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

badgenome said:
It's too bad they still haven't straightened out the campaign AI. Ever since they went to 3D maps, the AI is a total pushover.

Dunno. If you're talking about difficulty, the AI almost felt like they were all going against you in Medieval in the later parts of the game. And alliances didn't seem to matter at all, and countries who depended on my alliances (me+small countries vs bigger countries) will backstab me for no logical reason. They were agressive, but kind of in a illogical way.

I miss though, having to go against a huge superpower. Or it's really awesome when you manipulate the situation and growth of countries so that there's three. Or you already know about the Mongolians, so you let the other Superpower take the East, and then you launch an attack when they're caught off guard by Mongolian invaders and send their troops up there.

hm, well if you try to play empire using a smaller nation.. like the united states, you'll really feel up against a major superpower. that campaign is kinda hard, but you can easily take advantage of the faulty AI.

Akvod said:
badgenome said:
It's too bad they still haven't straightened out the campaign AI. Ever since they went to 3D maps, the AI is a total pushover.

Dunno. If you're talking about difficulty, the AI almost felt like they were all going against you in Medieval in the later parts of the game. And alliances didn't seem to matter at all, and countries who depended on my alliances (me+small countries vs bigger countries) will backstab me for no logical reason. They were agressive, but kind of in a illogical way.

I miss though, having to go against a huge superpower. Or it's really awesome when you manipulate the situation and growth of countries so that there's three. Or you already know about the Mongolians, so you let the other Superpower take the East, and then you launch an attack when they're caught off guard by Mongolian invaders and send their troops up there.

Well, that's part of it. Early on, I'd ally with all my neighbors and stuff, and that was actually the hardest part of the game because I'd try to develop my economy and tech up while also preparing for one of those fuckfaces to backstab me. But before too long, I'd have annihilated the traitor, taken all their lands, and turned into a little superpower. The game was always pretty much over by turn 20, except for screwing around with the Mongols/Timurids/Aztecs.

But the bigger issue is with the 3D maps themselves, I think. Chief among the gripes that I have is that the AI just isn't very good at controlling territory on them. I don't know how many times I've gotten a faction down to their last city, marched an army right past one or two huge stacks of their troops, and sieged and eliminated them. The AI was a lot more competent in Shogun and Medieval.

Around the Network

I want it ... but my computer is poo.

badgenome said:
Akvod said:
badgenome said:

Well, that's part of it. Early on, I'd ally with all my neighbors and stuff, and that was actually the hardest part of the game because I'd try to develop my economy and tech up while also preparing for one of those fuckfaces to backstab me. But before too long, I'd have annihilated the traitor, taken all their lands, and turned into a little superpower. The game was always pretty much over by turn 20, except for screwing around with the Mongols/Timurids/Aztecs.

But the bigger issue is with the 3D maps themselves, I think. Chief among the gripes that I have is that the AI just isn't very good at controlling territory on them. I don't know how many times I've gotten a faction down to their last city, marched an army right past one or two huge stacks of their troops, and sieged and eliminated them. The AI was a lot more competent in Shogun and Medieval.

Never played Shogun, but perhaps the reason why the AI seems more competent is because they don't have to worry about the 3D map, but just sit on their province, and wait for you to attack? Part of the strategy is to pick off straggling parts of the army before they merged. I'm not denying the campaign AI needs a lot of work (At least in Rome, can't handle Medieval II or Empire), but I do think we may be underestimating the difficulty of creating such an AI that'll have human concepts such as loyalty, and develop long term plans. Perhaps they should hire a lot of people and make the campaign their biggest concern... but that'll require either a larger budget or a under development in other parts of the future games... I say that both Sony and Microsoft should make it so that you can plug in mouse and keyboard into each respective console, and play some games (if you want, there'll still be controller layout) as a normal PC game. I will so buy Medieval II and Empire if they were on console. It might not be million sellers, but they can certainly get a bigger revenue and sales if they port their games over to consoles.

@Akvod: No doubt, although I did try some mods for Medieval II which vastly improved the experience in terms of strength of alliances and whatnot. Perhaps it needed a bit of finetuning, but the groundwork for developing loyal allies was already there in the game when it shipped. It was just a matter of some triggers being broken or disabled.

perhaps the reason why everyone loves Rome is the fact that the campaign AI there was spot on. I thought it was anyway.

bugrimmar said:

1.) The battle AI is great, but the campaign AI is terrible. Your rival nations don't react to your movements the way they should be. For example, playing as England, I can pretty much leave my shores completely undefended and France wouldn't even try to send a ship or two loaded with soldiers to attack me, even though I'm invading their homeland.

Sounds pretty accurate to me eh? Eh? Hahahaha