By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz 2.0 - the aftermath!

^^
YES!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

The improvements are fantastic. Great job taking user feedback.

And can we allow for the English game name in the Japanese charts?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Since I haven't gotten any response on my query yet, I'll ask again.

Is there any way to get a forum search? Our forum really needs it.

This is invisible text!

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but when I try to copy data from an Excel worksheet and put it into my post the data shows up there. But when I go to actual post the data along with the comments the entire post ends up blank.

Is there a new way we are suppose to add spreadsheet data?

The thread where this is occuring is "How long until WiiFit outsells other popular games."

JHawkNH said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but when I try to copy data from an Excel worksheet and put it into my post the data shows up there. But when I go to actual post the data along with the comments the entire post ends up blank.

Is there a new way we are suppose to add spreadsheet data?

The thread where this is occuring is "How long until WiiFit outsells other popular games."

you must be doing something different than what I'm doing. I copy all my prediction league data out of excel and it works exactly like it did before for me.

Try copying the cells with no extra formatting and do the formatting in the RTE.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

2. Site width. As explained initially, less than 10% of users view the site at a width of less than 1280 pixels. The decision to go with 1150px meant that we could make news articles wider, same with the central pane on game pages, forum posts and so on. With the control panel width now fixed, ad widths fixed, the header and footer fixed, it is going to be very difficult to make the site narrower again. If it is just forum pages that cause problems we can try to play around with anchors so that the page automatically scrolls to the far right when you enter a thread, only covering the 160 wide ad and recent threads box on the left side. I know that probably isn't idea either and even 10% of 30k people per day will be a lot who may be unsatisfied but you have to move on at some point. I use a laptop at 1680x1050 and on most sites it seems such a total waste to have 300 pixels of black space either side that is totally unused. This is still something I am thinking about how best to tackle.

10% is 120 users at any given time on the site (currently there are 1223 people on the site right now).  That's a lot of people that the new format is affecting.  That alone should have made the team rethink the new width. 

3. The black colour scheme. When we moved over to the old site from the original grey and white we quickly had accusations of Wii bias thrown our way and people asking why we use blue. The old site was designed in about 2 hours with very little thought. Blue and white is about as basic as you can get and I fancy a change. Many sites successfully use the dark look and it works well with images and ads - looks far more professional than a white box with some kind of border and some black text. We wanted to move away from showing bias towards one particular console so decided to go with black and orange as the neutral colours with everything colour coded to the blue, green or red of the consoles. On the whole I think the idea works really well and as you guys get used to it I hope you will too.

I'd like to know what "professional sites" you visit because none of the sites I visit on a regular basis that are "professional" have black color schemes.  In fact only the non professional kids sites have color schemes like this. 

Also you said you were trying to get away from people saying the site has a bias towards the Wii...  well then why would someone change the logo to include an xbox 360 controller?  Wouldn't that kinda mean something as well?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Griffin said:
This is my first really visit to the site, after seeing my brother on it and all the problems he was having.

My first suggestion is to give users an option to view the site under the old style.

My second would be to get rid of the massive clutter of the front page.

My third would be to get rid of all the colours on the front pages its like somebody tossed 10different paint cans on its and every single thing got a colour.

My final suggestion is to please for the love of god change the colour format on the forums, i've been visiting this site since late 2006 and posting since early 2007 and due to the new forum colours its impossible for me to read them without massive eye strain. Right after this posts i'll be forced to log off just to rest my eyes. So from a long time poster and contributer to the game database please save my eyes.

It's good to see others with the same issues speak up.  I'm with ya Griffin!  I've been a long time user of this site and have cut my page hits here in half for these exact reasons. 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

TalonMan said:
arsenal009 said:
outlawauron said:
Final-Fan said:
Rainbird said:
Also, with the new software numbers coming, I'm noticing how annoying it is not to have the first comment first. It's harder to follow a conversation, and it's more confusing (some of which will undoubtedly be because of being used to the old system). I never understood why anyone uses this system, it makes much more sense to have the first comment first.
Preach it brotha!  Now that comments have pages, it should be done just like threads, right?
I agree with this 110%
I'm with these guys.
I'm already working on this, guys...

I knew it had been suggested, didn't know it was being acted on.  Awesome. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Killergran said:
Since I haven't gotten any response on my query yet, I'll ask again.

Is there any way to get a forum search? Our forum really needs it.

The response I saw to this question somewhere was "It'll come back eventually, until then use Google (or whatever) and set it to search only this site."

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:

The response I saw to this question somewhere was "It'll come back eventually, until then use Google (or whatever) and set it to search only this site."

Thanks. Good to know

This is invisible text!