By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UT3 Different Versions

Legend11 said:
So the PS3 can't handle some of the PC version's levels? Ouch :( And yet they're saying it won't affect mods? How can they say that for sure?

This is bad news for the PS3 version though since it could gain a reputation as being the "gimped" version of the game :(

its not that the PS3 cant handle the graphical output, its the space, UT04 total convertion mods were 10GB large, UT3 will have mods that are just as big maybe more. 80GBs isnt enough to fit more thne two or three of those modes without slowing the HDD read speed down. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Doesn't every PS3 have a large harddrive? What's stopping them from putting some of the maps (not mods) on the harddrive if loading from Blu-Ray was a problem? Sorry ssj12 but your explanation doesn't make sense.

Then again, they did say the PS3 did not have the resources to produce a smooth gameplay experience on some maps.

It may be more than just storage issues.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

what don't you understand from a smooth gameplay experience? it's not the space it just can't handle some of the maps which the pc will get. he clearly states it. and leo-j how do you mean he never said that, do you call the ign ps3 team lairs then? but you guys still should be more happy then people who will get the 360 version, it even got less maps.

oops double post

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
So the PS3 can't handle some of the PC version's levels? Ouch :( And yet they're saying it won't affect mods? How can they say that for sure?

This is bad news for the PS3 version though since it could gain a reputation as being the "gimped" version of the game :(

And you can just imagine how gimped the 360 version is going to be.

There is nothing new here, we all know that the PS3 cannot do what the PC can do so in order for the 2 versions to be identical they would have to limit the PC version and since The PC version is easily going to outsell the PS3/360 versions combined this decision comes across as basic common sense.

No, this is new to me. I seriously did think the PS3 could handle any map thrown at it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
No, this is new to me. I seriously did think the PS3 could handle any map thrown at it.

It will handle more then enough maps but it cannot handle as much as a PC can. Therefore if Epic keep pushing limits of the systems like they are they will reach the PS3 limits long before they reach the limitations of the PC. Obviously Epic are trying to get the best out of the PS3 and push the system to it's absolute limits and I for one am really excited about that. 

The only PS3 limitation I can think of that would prevent certain maps from playing smoothly is the amount of RAM. 256 MB system memory + 256 MB graphics memory is pretty paltry compared to PCs with 2 GB system memory + 512+ MB graphics memory.

I think this is a pretty classic and sad example of Epic over-engineering their games, though.  When they're putting stuff out that won't play smoothly on a PS3 a year after its launch, there's a problem in the developer's mentality.

I don't know...I must not be understanding everything here.

If they're trying to reach the PS3's absolute limits, but can't even get all the PC maps to work on the PS3, isn't that bad, since PS3 games still generally look as good as PC games?

I'm not trying to troll...I just think this can't be considered a good thing for the PS3.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM