By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Linux: PS3s Cell is faster than i7 965 XE

leo-j said:
I read this in gametrailers, it was derailed by PC elitists in less than a minute.. you cant argue with them, they always have a way to destroy you in an argument

Thats why I never enter in threads like this :P

Oh wait >_<

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

The Cell is 3 years old (hell it's older then that) and it's still number 1!

The PS4 doesn't even need to upgrade the cell, just upgrade everything else and use the cell and it'll be fine :D

ElectronicRocker said:

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.consolewars.de%2Fuserpages%2Fviewentry.php%3Fbid%3D34054&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

According to the announcement of Fixstars reached the Cell processor of the Playstation a performance of 29 FPS, that is 1.2 times real-time conversion - the cell has a similar performance as the CUDA Badaboom encoder in combination with an Nvidia Geforce GTX-285. By comparison, Intel's current top-CPU, the Core i7 965 XE, does it still at 18 FPS - normal desktop CPUs even create only about 5 FPS.

b-b-but the cell....

Yes, but can it play Crysis?

guess it can, if the developer optimize it for the ps3

I read somewhere before that the cell can "render" multiple HD video sources at one with no probs.. so thats pretty awesome.. really no use in games though.... It would be interesting to see if SONY would put cell into its TV's or even digital boxes.. that would be using its true potential.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
I read somewhere before that the cell can "render" multiple HD video sources at one with no probs.. so thats pretty awesome.. really no use in games though.... It would be interesting to see if SONY would put cell into its TV's or even digital boxes.. that would be using its true potential.

This is what Toshiba already does with it's Spurs processor, a cell variant with 4 SPUs and hardware dedicated to decompress x264 and MPEG-2 video. Video/data compression and decompression is one of the strong points of SPUs, and in extension, Cell. One of the strongest points of Cell, data decompression, is neglected with the use of Blue ray, due to the excess of storage capability, having no real necessity of high compression algorithms.

If only the mainstream audience cared about the power of the cell.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

wow big deal the cell with its 7 SPEs can beat the I7 at folding@home thats not that surprising but the I7 rapes the cell (or the 360 CPU for that matter) at whats improtant. Gaming and real world applications

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

So basically the PS3 is really good at something the typical owner will never use it for. Yay?

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Certain processors have certain strengths and weaknesses, and a heavily asynchronous and highly parallel problem (like folding at home) plays towards the strength of the Cell Processor and the weakness of any PC CPU that currently exists. Unfortunately (for the Cell) most of the processing that is done on the CPU in a modern game engine is not asynchronous and is not highly parallel, which means it plays to the strengths of the PC CPU and the weaknesses of the Cell; to make matters worse (for the Cell) the new PC CPUs are much more advanced so their capabilities for real world videogame performance are (almost) an order of magnitude higher than the Cell processor.

Or to put it another way ... If you took what the i7 could produce in terms of Physics and AI at 60fps, noticeably reduced the number of objects that were using this physics and AI, and noticeably reduced the complexity of the physics and AI associated with each object, you would still have a lot of difficulty running the simulation at 30fps.