By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The official VGChartz 2.0 Thread

thetonestarr said:

SERIOUS PROBLEM.

I've confirmed it only happens when I visit VGChartz. Every time I come to VGChartz now, it screws up my Firefox. I can surf hours upon hours anywhere else, but as soon as I come to VGChartz, within five minutes, Firefox stops working. Completely - it won't load ANY new content at all. And it's permanent - the problem doesn't go away when I close the site, or close Firefox, or reboot the system. I can only fix it by uninstalling Firefox, then reinstalling it.

Additionally, I've noticed the Firefox.exe process doesn't close when I "close" Firefox. It still stays running now, in the background. If I try a CTRL + ALT + DEL, then select Firefox.exe and go to "end process", nothing happens.

Lastly, the site EATS my system memory when I surf here. We're talking easily 100MB of RAM just for coming here. That's outrageous. And it doesn't stop using that much memory when I navigate away. Firefox will use somewhere around 20-45MB regularly, then skyrocket to 115+ once I come here.

The problem doesn't occur with Chrome at all, though. Haven't tried Internet Explorer (nor will I even bother).

Clear your Cache, History, Temporary Internet Files, and Cookies. That should clear things up and make Firefox much faster.

Come to think of it, I need to do that too. My Firefox is using 378MB RAM, but I have 8 tabs open. If I keep two tabs open, it becomes 302MB (2 VGC tabs). Oddly enough, if I make it one tab, it is still at 260MB RAM. So I would say that a lot of it is Cache, etc.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Sigh I didn't notice it from home where i have 3 Mbits but when you are limited to 1 Mbit the front page takes a loooooot of time to load fully.

Also it's very uncomfortable on netbooks with 1000x600 screen resolution (and if it doesn't fit there it also won't fit on any older 4:3 15" 1024x768 displays.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

chamelean75 said:

I am not a fan of the new VG chartz because it is hard to read.  It feels like there is too much stuff happening on the main screen and the tex seems really small now.  I alos liked how on the old site that on the left hand column, it showed the forum topics that you answered and whether there were new responses or not.  I am disappointed that that has now disappearted.  I have a hard time reading the site now.

It's still there, in the Forum section.

I don't get it. People are complaining that the main page is too wide, then asking for another column to be added to make it even wider.

But I do agree that the homepage should be less wide and more long.

Brett ioi - is there any way you can add a right click option to the top menu?
I like the option of opening the forum or opening the main page in a new tab and I can't do that any more.

Hang on, how did I miss that Brett had turned back to ioi? When did that happen?

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Infamy79 said:

I like the option of opening the forum or opening the main page in a new tab and I can't do that any more.

Hang on, how did I miss that Brett had turned back to ioi? When did that happen?

mid-April. I made the thread, I remember.

Around the Network
Infamy79 said:

That's becouse someone decided it's good idea to use flash based menu which I would say is huge error in design.

Another thing I noticed: the reactions in the news posts are in backwards order. Is it possible to change it back? It makes no sense like it is now.

Oh another error i noticed when you hit back button in browser then the memu bar disappears. (I'm using Opera btw)

2.0 is great. Well done everyone who worked on it.

Zlejedi said:
Infamy79 said:

That's becouse someone decided it's good idea to use flash based menu which I would say is huge error in design.

I know Flash is the reason, but I've used Flash menus before which still have a right click > open in new tab function

Even IGN has the option in some of their flash menus. Not saying that's the reason it should be done, but I figured it was an appropriate example.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience