By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The official VGChartz 2.0 Thread

Zlejedi said:
Infamy79 said:

Brett ioi - is there any way you can add a right click option to the top menu?
I like the option of opening the forum or opening the main page in a new tab and I can't do that any more.

Hang on, how did I miss that Brett had turned back to ioi? When did that happen?

That's becouse someone decided it's good idea to use flash based menu which I would say is huge error in design.

Not to mention it's not the best for search engine optimization.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
chamelean75 said:

I am not a fan of the new VG chartz because it is hard to read.  It feels like there is too much stuff happening on the main screen and the text seems really small now.  I alos liked how on the old site that on the left hand column, it showed the forum topics that you answered and whether there were new responses or not.  I am disappointed that that has now disappearted.  I have a hard time reading the site now.

I'll agree with that.  The text does seem smaller now.  Especially if you try to fit the website width to your screen.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Words Of Wisdom said:
thetonestarr said:

SERIOUS PROBLEM.

I've confirmed it only happens when I visit VGChartz. Every time I come to VGChartz now, it screws up my Firefox. I can surf hours upon hours anywhere else, but as soon as I come to VGChartz, within five minutes, Firefox stops working. Completely - it won't load ANY new content at all. And it's permanent - the problem doesn't go away when I close the site, or close Firefox, or reboot the system. I can only fix it by uninstalling Firefox, then reinstalling it.

Additionally, I've noticed the Firefox.exe process doesn't close when I "close" Firefox. It still stays running now, in the background. If I try a CTRL + ALT + DEL, then select Firefox.exe and go to "end process", nothing happens.

Lastly, the site EATS my system memory when I surf here. We're talking easily 100MB of RAM just for coming here. That's outrageous. And it doesn't stop using that much memory when I navigate away. Firefox will use somewhere around 20-45MB regularly, then skyrocket to 115+ once I come here.

The problem doesn't occur with Chrome at all, though. Haven't tried Internet Explorer (nor will I even bother).

Clean start of Firefox loading vgChartz homepage only:

Firefox CPU usage:  72-81%
Firefox Memory Usage:  ~126,000K

Let's try some experiments...

Ad-blocking the newsrotater and chartwidget reduce the memor usage down to ~90,000K.  Still not good enough though.

Poor performance like this is shameful.

PS:  The performance of IE (2nd best browser around) is only 70k on-start.

Try this before telling people what you think is the second best browser out there.

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Even if you create a 'light' version of the site, this version needs some serious tweaking. The front page uses between 50-60% processor power on my laptop, and I'm running a 2.1GHz T8100 Core 2 Duo with 3GB of RAM. If it's using that much of my processor, I can't imagine trying to use this site on a single core machine. That kind of performance is going to drive people away from your site.

In addition, the site really needs to somehow auto adjust to fit monitors that are running at 1024x768, almost all other sites on the net do this, yours should be no exception. There are many people out there with slightly older laptops that don't have an option to change their resolution.

Web design should be used to make the site accessible to as many people as possible, unfortunately the performance requirements and width of the site do the exact opposite. Expect to see your numbers decline if these issues are not addressed. I love some of the new features of the site, but I really hope the re-design didn't over reach and drive people away.

Not funny I tried to edit my signature with the "insert image" button but the popup window never loaded properly (tried with Firefox and IE) so I had to do it through html.

Around the Network

Just add me to the "The site is too wide" comments...

I run Vista and open the gadget bar on the right with my 1280x800 Tablet PC...

About a 1/2 inch of the right side gets cut-off making things inconvenient. Especially, since I see the sales numbers as the key thing that differentiates this site from other gaming sites. And they are being cut-off.

I have no problems with cut off on any other gaming sites.

arsenal009 said:

My problem is not as bad as tonestarr's but it's still pretty bad. When I have the site up & don't do anything on it, firefox takes up 10-20% of CPU usage.
Once i start scrolling up or down my CPU usage goes up to 99% & starts lagging like crazy.

EDIT:  OK, i just checked the front page.  Even when it's idol, it takes up 90-99% of CPU usage.

Checked on my Turion TL-60 notebook: it jumps to 14.5% scrolling and to more than 70% loading home page.

Smileys and images insert/edit pop-up windows in the rich text editor now work on FF both on forum post and signature editing, but there are new bugs:

1) Sometimes the top Flash element including that f*ing main menu (how I hate menus done in Flash!) doesn't load properly, making the site almost unusable. Sometimes reloading the page works, other times not.

2) Using FF, now a Flash element covers the login and password form, forcing me to go to another page to log in. Reloading the page doesn't solve anything in this case.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It would be pretty cool if we could still have the posts on news walls and review walls, etc on one page.

Where are the production numbers (for historical purposes)?

Everything else seems to be able to be found.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I managed to get other sites to start loading again in Firefox, but I won't ever be visiting this site again (unless something drastic changes) while using FF. I'm going Chrome-only for VGC.

=|

SW-5120-1900-6153