By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is everyone so fascinated with old games?

Johann said:
Xen said:
^No examples, Johann? I expected a particular one from you ;)

lol of course.

Here's little tune to celebrate my favorite game of all time:

Never gets old.

Indeed

Best Game of all time, excellent music, excellent story, excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, hot chicks for SNES era, and on of everything it has Crono on it!!!

In my last hour I'm slave to power of death!!!

Around the Network
Trollinator said:

Xen said:

Bottom line: what do we have today? better graphics, weaker gameplay (broad generalization). Ah, and online, which, if I needed, I'd go and find on the PC.

It's hilarious how all of you guys that are praising older games just automatically associate better graphics with worse game play. Totally hilarious, untrue, and bogus assessment. I wasn't aware that heavy doses of nostalgia caused brain damage, but I guess ya learn something new everyday.

Time spent on development costs money.  That money is not limitless and causes a finite amount of time to be spent on development.  Time has to be dedicated to the different components of a game.  The more time spent on making the most amazing graphics take away from the available time to spend on gameplay.  Of course today's tech makes better graphics easier, but the developers still have to balance what they spend their time on.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Fascinated is too strong a word. Appreciated is more like it.

their better than this gen games except halo 3.

I'll have to go with the so many others who have said that a good or fun game is still fun even if there are "more advanced" type versions around. Though sometimes I'm sure there can be some nostalgia. :P

Older games played recently,
XCOM
Master of Orion
MegaMan II
MegaMan III

Around the Network
Demoki said:
KungKras said:
Because I have yet to experience an era better than the 16-bit one.

Dreamcast was Pure

Yea, Dreamcast was good too. Probably the last truly classic game system.

I LOVE ICELAND!

theRepublic said:
lolita said:
emilie autumn said:
because despite the graphical power of todays consoles, some old games prove to be of better quality that some games today.

This. I find old games even more impressive and creative... It's just amazing what they could do, being so limited, technology-wise.

I think that it is because of that limitation, that games were so creative.  Today, I think most developers tend to rely on the technology to create a good game.

OMG! THIS!!!!!!!!

Developers on the past created amazing games b/c that was the main focus of it, create a great game. Today, graphics are on more important terms. Just put out a trailer with awesome graphics and many people will just fall for it.

Back in the day game development was so cheap and accessible that more people could do it, so there was a wider range of fresh and crazy ideas.  It took one person to design Tetris, and he had a friend make block graphics for it.  Anybody with programming skills could have a crazy dream, wake up, and make a very unique video game out of it.  Now it takes a team of hundreds of expert programmers to design a 6 hour romp through Germany.

For example,

stof said:
The games of yesterday involved high speed blue hedgehogs, earthworms in super suites, mutant frogs, child cavemen, Michael Jackson, dolphins, Apes, gum eating blobs and Noids (whatever they were). The games of today that aren't made by Nintendo involve guys shooting other guys...

Is it really a valid question why gaming nostalgia is so prominent?

The Ghost of RubangB said:

Back in the day game development was so cheap and accessible that more people could do it, so there was a wider range of fresh and crazy ideas.  It took one person to design Tetris, and he had a friend make block graphics for it.  Anybody with programming skills could have a crazy dream, wake up, and make a very unique video game out of it.  Now it takes a team of hundreds of expert programmers to design a 6 hour romp through Germany.

For example,

stof said:
The games of yesterday involved high speed blue hedgehogs, earthworms in super suites, mutant frogs, child cavemen, Michael Jackson, dolphins, Apes, gum eating blobs and Noids (whatever they were). The games of today that aren't made by Nintendo involve guys shooting other guys...

Is it really a valid question why gaming nostalgia is so prominent?

Stof's quote should be immortalized and disseminated across the internet.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

because nintendo has yet to beat the quality and fun that was super mario brothers 3 for platformer, or super mario kart in terms of kart games.... maybe some day but playing those today from time to time makes me love them.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog