By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is everyone so fascinated with old games?

gebx said:
Currently playing - Xcom TFTD... cause it was on sale a couple weeks ago on Valve and I wanted to play it again..

Hell yeah!  X-Com was one great game.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
Xen said:
^No examples, Johann? I expected a particular one from you ;)

lol of course.

Here's little tune to celebrate my favorite game of all time:

Never gets old.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

emilie autumn said:
because despite the graphical power of todays consoles, some old games prove to be of better quality that some games today.

This. I find old games even more impressive and creative... It's just amazing what they could do, being so limited, technology-wise.

Johann said:
Xen said:
^No examples, Johann? I expected a particular one from you ;)

lol of course.

Here's little tune to celebrate my favorite game of all time:

Never gets old.

Chrono Trigger is pure awesomeness! But I always found it weird that the boxart showed Marle (Nadia) using fire magic, I guess Lucca wasn't pretty enough to be on the cover.

Signature goes here!

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with a newer game. Frankly, I think SMG is as much a classic game as anything I've ever seen, and FFX is my favorite Final Fantasy.

It's just that the existence of the newer games doesn't take anything away from the experience of the older games, which continue to have whatever power they used to have. And some of them have considerable power.

Look, it was probably only about ten or so years ago that I really discovered the old Infocom-style text adventures, but it didn't take long for me to be hooked. On the Virtual Console, I don't just download games I'm familiar with/nostalgic for--I download "new" games, too. I just played through the Shining Force games for the first time, and they're great.

Like I say, Galaxy is a marvel... but playing Galaxy doesn't make the original SMB any worse an experience for me.

Around the Network
Trollinator said:
People don't really like old games. They simply feel as if they like old games because of the warm fuzzy feeling they get due to nostalgia.

The fact of the matter is that everything continues to evolve for the better. Nothing from back in the day is as good as what we have now. If you got a kid that had never played a video game before to play Mario Galaxy and then Super Mario Bros. for the NES he'd probably feel like vomiting from his eyes when the older game came on the screen, and he'd think that a 2-button controller is something designed for people with mental disabilities.

It's like when I have to listen to my Grandpa tell me how babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player of all time, or Gordie Howe is the greatest hockey player of all time, and how the games were so much better back then. Gimme a fucking break. Babe Ruth was a fat drunken pig that wouldn't make a triple-A team today, and Gordie Howe could barely skate backwards.

People simply associate old games, sports, etc with the happy feelings they experienced during that time. People think Super Mario Bros is a great game because it was great for it's time, and they had a blast playing it. It doesn't hold up today, though, that's just a fact. No old game does.

You people all seem to think that you're obligated to say that older games are better the same way sports fans feel obligated to put a fat pig like Babe Ruth or a coke addicted racist wife beater like Ty Cobb up on pedestals.

I don't care what any of you liars say, if you could only chose one game to play for the rest of your life it would not be a game from the 16 bit era. You'd end up falling into a boredom induced coma at some point. You'd want a game like World of Warcraft, Halo 3, Killzone 2 or something else where you can interact with other people and every match/dugeon, etc. has the possiblility of turning out different than the last.

Now you can all flame me in defiance, as you try to reassure yourselves that you really do love 16-bit crap more than you enjoy todays technical and innovative masterpieces.

Classic case of an individual who is unable to understand that his thoughts, feelings, and attidudes do not apply to the world, not even the majority.  Someday you will realize that not everyone thinks like you do or sees the world the same way you do.

Old games are GAMES.  Some people have such trouble looking past graphics and think that's the entirety of what makes a game.  I do not understand why some people cannot understand why a good game is a good game, despite it not looking the most realistic.  I'm sorry, but Risk, Poker, Uno, and Parcheesi are still good games even though they have not advanced in technology.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

lolita said:
emilie autumn said:
because despite the graphical power of todays consoles, some old games prove to be of better quality that some games today.

This. I find old games even more impressive and creative... It's just amazing what they could do, being so limited, technology-wise.

I think that it is because of that limitation, that games were so creative.  Today, I think most developers tend to rely on the technology to create a good game.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

BECAUSE THE DAMN GRAPHICS!!!! oh yeah and THE DAMN MOTION CONTROLLERS!!
Developers today focus on doing better graphics on game that last no more than ten hours or stupids things on the Wii and DS than in making good gameplay and good stories.

Of course there are several exceptions in each console, every console today has a wide variety in good games but also a lot of .... well not so good.

In my last hour I'm slave to power of death!!!

@TruckOSaurus: The geeky look was not so popular back in 95. One of the NPCs even made fun of her glasses.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Games these days tend to be treated completely as a business, tend to be designed for the mass market and heavily simplified for the plebs... most of whom aren't going to be interested anyway. Old games, many of which can still be played today, just have a greater depth, soul and imagination that many of the new games seem to lack.