By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A possible reason 3rd parties ignore the Wii...

Wii sold more 3rd party software than 360 and PS3 (not combined) in 2008. Biasing your list by only using the top 10's, which include mega games like GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Call of Duty 4, obviously won't tell you anything about 3rd party sales, just about the distribution of the big 3rd party games over the platforms.

Around the Network
mjc2021 said:
bardicverse said:

There is only one reason that 3rd parties will ignore the Wii - because mjc2021 said so, and his word is infallible. ;P

Well in this particular case... I'd like to think there some validity to what I'm saying.

It does and it doesn't all in the same. What you need to look at is the same game on all 3 platforms. Who's to say how well Assasin's Creed would have done on the Wii, or how Ravving Rabbids would have done on the PS3?

If you line up the games that came out for all 3, you'd have an argument with a better foundation.

For example, we know clear well that for COD:WaW, it was 360>PS3>Wii, for Guitar Hero 3 it was Xb360 4.23M >Wii 4.21M > PS3 1.89M .... so right there, we have a bit to both prove and disprove your argument. This would make a much better point to balance out and see what 3rd parties have profited from Wii development and which have faltered.

It's just the same thing happening that happened to the DS. In 2 years third-parties will have a major presence on the wii million sellers (as if they didn't have one as we speak)

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

BengaBenga said:
Wii sold more 3rd party software than 360 and PS3 (not combined) in 2008. Biasing your list by only using the top 10's, which include mega games like GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Call of Duty 4, obviously won't tell you anything about 3rd party sales, just about the distribution of the big 3rd party games over the platforms.

The last chart is helpful.

BengaBenga said:

I believe the real accusation is that *exaggerated* no third party games of any noteworthiness come to the Wii. I suspect the problem isn't in the raw numbers, but in which games are selling. The games are coming, but because they aren't considered worthy they don't exactly count for anything to most weekend analysts here.

Tease.

Around the Network
griffinA said:
It's just the same thing happening that happened to the DS. In 2 years third-parties will have a major presence on the wii million sellers (as if they didn't have one as we speak)

Nothing left to add but, "exactly".

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Squilliam said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Squilliam said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Third parties and Nintendo, sadly, have had an unstable relationship since Sony got into the gaming scene. They completely turned third party against Nintendo. In retaliation, Nintendo ignored 3rd party during the Gamecube era only to acquire them at the very end.

You've made this exact post at least 3* before now. Whats going on here?

Because its true.

Truth or not, don't you think that some of the reasons why Nintendo and 3rd parties don't get along are due to how Nintendo acted in the past?

This is exactly the problem the wii has. 3rd party developers see good profits on a really low investment. So they continue do the same. They have no incentive to do better or invest more in a game, because of decent competition or broad demand for quality. It acts out like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because the whole 'stupid kiddy console' idea took hold, they see very little reason to put more effort in the wii games.

This year sees a far better line-up of quality. But it is still not what a marketleader should have. It seems the mindset is truly changing, but it painfully shows that most 3rd party developers have little imagination or courage to do something new. When i first saw the wii, i thought of the new gaming opportunities coming our way. I saw it, Nintendo sure saw it, but not many others. It's sad that an old veteran like Nintendo got so much disbelief. Nintendo basically started the business with the same daring attitude. And for the most time they kept it, despite some stupid mistakes (you know them). If i worked in the industry, ik knew this: Don't take your eyes of Nintendo, ever.

I don't think thats the case, low development costs can be both a blessing and a curse because it allows for a lot of very shallow development to take place. Furthermore you seem to have this other image about what the Wii is, its not the market leader of all markets. Hell its definately not likely to be the market leader amongst the main demographics which buy violent video games.

Low development costs are a mixed blessing, indeed. In this recession it acts more like an advantage, for now.

"But it is still not what a marketleader should have."

By this sentence i implied your point about how a marketleader should rule most demographics of consoles. Normally a markerleader with the wii numbers should have a far more dominant hold over those markets. In a one year or maybe two we could see far more special exclusives coming to the wii. if so, it will be a marketleader like the PS2. That process seems to underway with Dragonquest 10 or Monsterhunter 3.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Nintendo clearly need to promote the Wii versions of GTAIV, Resident Evil 5, and Assassin's Creed more. I don't even think I've seen them on store shelves.

lol at the failure of this thread once real data is provided.

I really don't need to add any further evidence beyond Benga and fkusumot.

By the end of this gen Wii will not only have the biggest install base but will have the largest 3rd party support, 3rd party sales, best tie ratio, etc, etc.

It just takes time for the market to shift.

Why is it that 3rd party games suddenly became so important? Why isn't first party games just as important?

I LOVE ICELAND!