Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

@SlumsofOhio

I didn't see an obvious sarcasm in my post, eh? ^_^

Around the Network
dahuman said:
disolitude said:
famousringo said:
disolitude said:

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

That might make some kind of sense if the Wii wasn't still topping the software charts. But since it is, that just demonstrates that the software really is that good.

What software? Mario KArt Wii, smash bros and Wii Fit are great yes...but anything else that came out in the last year that sold well? And 1 million in sales is great but really nothing that people should marvel at considering Wiis huge userbase...

at least provide the correct numbers....

Is this a great first party seller?

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=23551®ion=All

How about this? Prety good for a game that most reviewers said was a gamecube port...

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=24660®ion=All

This?

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=24197®ion=All

Im workign with 2008 nintendo titles that are not MArio Kart, Wii fit or smash brothers... help me out here.

disolitude said:
famousringo said:
disolitude said:

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

That might make some kind of sense if the Wii wasn't still topping the software charts. But since it is, that just demonstrates that the software really is that good.

What software? Mario KArt Wii, smash bros and Wii Fit are great yes...but anything else that came out in the last year that sold well? And 1 million in sales is great but really nothing that people should marvel at considering Wiis huge userbase...

I should have been more clear in my last post, I mean the pie chart which represents the software market, not the top ten which represents the most sensational part of the software market. All software, not just a couple cherry-picked titles. American software totals for '09 so far:

Software Totals:

ConsoleYearTotal
30,182,143 172,345,613
27,252,703 185,590,745
19,148,970 169,297,160
10,853,375 66,079,463
5,403,992 70,798,538
4,553,386 177,156,282
26,708 10,581,826
Total 97,421,277

Supposedly there were no titles worth owning released in this period, but the Wii still moves more software than 360 and PS3 combined on an install base which is smaller than 360 and PS3 combined. Like I said earlier, arguing sales is pointless.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

holy crap mario baseball sold over 1 mil? hot damn, how? hahahahahaha! that's awesome.

dahuman said:
holy crap mario baseball sold over 1 mil? hot damn, how? hahahahahaha! that's awesome.

Its got mario in the title. That helps. A hooker would probably get more blow job business if she looked like mario...

Around the Network
famousringo said:
disolitude said:
famousringo said:
disolitude said:

All software, not just a couple cherry-picked titles. American software totals for '09 so far:

Software Totals:

ConsoleYearTotal
30,182,143 172,345,613
27,252,703 185,590,745
19,148,970 169,297,160
10,853,375 66,079,463
5,403,992 70,798,538
4,553,386 177,156,282
26,708 10,581,826
Total 97,421,277  

Supposedly there were no titles worth owning released in this period, but the Wii still moves more software than 360 and PS3 combined on an install base which is smaller than 360 and PS3 combined. Like I said earlier, arguing sales is pointless.

Fuck...

While that does include Wii sports which would probably sell 1/3 of what it does if it wasn't bundled...its still rediculous.

So Animal crossing sells 3M+ and is a flop?

wow, just wow.

Not to self:REALLY ignore that dude

disolitude said:
dahuman said:

Its got mario in the title. That helps. A hooker would probably get more blow job business if she looked like mario...

What? That would be the most ugly prostitute ever. Your view of the world is weird :|

Not a fan of Maelstrom btw, but I kind of chuckled about the first party/third party situation because its true.

Surprise!

disolitude said:
famousringo said:
disolitude said:

Games from Nintendo released within the last year and selling over 1 million:

Animal Crossing: City Folk - 3.06 million

Wii Music - 2.53 million

Mario Super Sluggers - 1.06 million

Wii Fit - 18.91 million (it will be one year old in a week)

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Wow, I mean, I know this happens whenever Malstrom gets posted but it's particularly hard to swallow now.

Instead of actually thinking about and having a big discussion about the actual important points Malstrom makes, people just zero in on one insignificant point he made somewhere in the piece and argue against it. I won't lie, on entering this thread I did expect pettty bickering, but I expected bickering related to the important arguments Malstrom made.

Can we move on from talking about whether Nintendo's studios are better than Sony's and talk about whether overall Malstrom is right or not? Or perhaps someone could write a rebuttel to the piece itself?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."