Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

SlumsofOhio said:
dahuman said:
SlumsofOhio said:
Shanobi said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

You are listing every nintendo published game in the last 2 years. You missed on xbox 360 PGR4 Forza 2 crackdown

Sony Motorstorm 1 & 2, Warhawk, Uncharted

Lot more variety is found at Ms and Sony than at nintendos first party efforts.

From where I see it, you have LESS variety. Where is your Wii Fit? Where is your electroplankton? Outside of one game every 5 years that is "different", MS and Sony put out standard games in standard genres: Motorstorm 1& 2, Warhawk, Uncharted.

Where is your Excitebots, Marioparty, Pikmin, Brain Age, and tons of other games that are uniquely found on Nintendo platforms?

Nintendo first party games cover every genre of gaming, and those which are not offered on other platforms. So saying there is "more variety" on the other systems is silly. More variety of shooters, sure. But not more variety of games.

And overall other first party efforts do not have the same critical acclaim of Nintendo properties, and no where even close in terms of sales numbers, thanks to the quality of those games creating fans that will stay with Nintendo for years.

Have you played Uncharted? How about Motorstorm? And the fact you put Warhawk in the same sentence as "standard genres" shows you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. When you've never played the games, don't comment on them. Warhawk, despite its average graphics, is on of the unique current generation games out for consoles. Please, name a game on the Wii that plays like Warhawk in any way.

Personally, I think uncharted is what tomb raider should have evolved into, but never really got there. now about warhawk and motorstorm...... sigh... I don't even want to begin. I'll just say I wasn't impressed.

Please, explain. Warhawk despite its early flaws, had the most dedicated fanbase this generation. Not the biggest, but the most dedicated. The problems found at the start hampered sales, but most people would keep playing, even if stats failed to record for weeks. And the game is fun. One of the few games where CTF was played more often than Team Deathmatch.

never really caught on for me, not much to say about it really, didn't have that addictive feeling.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
@disolitude - "Wii is a gamecube 1.5 with waggle control scheme..." jesuschrist did you use THE MOST PATHETIC EXCUSE the wii haters use?

Note to self: ignore this troll

Prove me wrong... visuals are pretty similar, online is tacked on in most basic mode if available, sounds is...well still "Whoopie", experience is not the same...but its cause of motion controls/balance board. Take that away and what are you left with...GC ports of resident evil? And nitnendo games that probably could have come out for the gamecube (and some like Zelda did).

Im not here to start a war that Wii = GC X 1.5...im just syaing that nintendo really hasn't done anything different games wise this gen. They have with accessories, so the article saying that first party games sell wii is wrong...

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

Hardware is nothing without software. It's games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart that are driving the success of the Wii.

HAHAHA! Right on! :D

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

That just tells me that this software is miles better than everything else for your average gamer.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
@disolitude - "Wii is a gamecube 1.5 with waggle control scheme..." jesuschrist did you use THE MOST PATHETIC EXCUSE the wii haters use?

Prove me wrong... visuals are pretty similar, online is tacked on in most basic mode if available, sounds is...well still "Whoopie", experience is not the same...but its cause of motion controls/balance board. Take that away and what are you left with...GC ports of resident evil? And nitnendo games that probably could have come out for the gamecube (and some like Zelda did).

Im not here to start a war that Wii = GC X 1.5...im just syaing that nintendo really hasn't done anything different games wise this gen. They have with accessories, so the article saying that first party games sell wii is wrong...

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

Hardware is nothing without software. It's games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart that are driving the success of the Wii.

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

and I laugh at you! AAA? you mean "videogames copying movies"? ah no they are not.

But they are SOFTWARE and IT SELLS! Wii fit outsold the PS3 and MKWii is unstoppable! AND YOU IGNORE THAT?! LOL!

But hey Ignore it as much as you want. Reality is different and your pathetic pov won't change that

disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:

Here's one for you, leave Halo3's shiny graphics and you have Halo 2, guess people bought the Xbox360 for something else. V_V

That arguement is strawman at best.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

disolitude said:

Surprisingly, but people still buying Wii mostly for the same damn game, released over 2 years ago. That's just beyond my understanding. How they could possibly buy smth that got released more than 3 months ago? No matter how you spin it, but Wii is software-driven like any other console.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
BladeOfGod said:
TWRoO said:
BladeOfGod said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Nintendo made more money during the GameCube years than Sony did during the PS2 years.

Then Nintendo made the Wii and DS, while Sony lost every single PS2 dollar they made.

Nintendo will never be doomed.

Hmmm... maybe because Nintendo had 3 consoles on market and sony only 1. And PS2 is much more profitable than GameCube. It sold 2x times the software than gamecube and Gameboy did togehter

I agree with you that GC did not make as much as PS2. But the PS2 wasn't the only console during that time.... The PS1 was selling in the early years, and the PSP in the later years.

If you would look above I made an estimation for PS2, which has likely made about $3 billion in it's life.

During the "gamecube years" Nintendo made about $4.5-5 billion, but it is much harder to seperate their figures at a glance given how close the launch of GBA and GC was, but I doubt the GC made much more than $1-1.5 billion.

Yes, PS1 was on market but it barely sold 30-80k per week.PSP was out when DS was already launched and PS1 disconected, so nintendo still had more consoles on market but that doesnt change the fact Nintendo made more profit.

And i think when people say nintendo is doomed they dont mean it will go bankrupt or lose money they just meant Nintendo dominaton will end or sales will become smaller

I disagree, these sick f---s want to see the death of Nintendo, they want to see Iwata commit harikuri, they want to see Miyamoto work for MS. Doomed means doomed, dead, over, bankrupt, no more, taken over, from today onwards known as Microsoft Family Division.

Now why would they hate small and innocent company of Nintendo? There are actually people with families who work for Nintendo, i dont wanna see them go bankrupt.

dahuman said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

yeah I do find it funny as well, it kind of sucks too because it's not really Nintendo's fault, I don't think 3rd party ever really tried to get 90+ games out if you look at all the reviews, it's quiet sad.

Honestly I don't think nintendo cares too much for 3rd party support that will ignite sales and be of great quality. People will not buy Mario Kart and Smash Bros for a few months if Street Fighter 4 comes out on the Wii.

While MS depends on 3rd party support the most right now(with selling of the 1st party studios) they have always been the company that will go after 3rd party exclusivity. Nintendo could have grabbed Conduit when they needed a publisher and shut the hardcore fans up as well as increase the sales of that game 2-3x...but that would probably not be as profitable as something else they are doing in secrecy now...

disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

That might make some kind of sense if the Wii wasn't still topping the software charts. But since it is, that just demonstrates that the software really is that good.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

SlumsofOhio said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

And of those games, how many are bundled with accessories/hardware?

Why does that matter?

The hardware/accessories would be worthless without the software.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Bobbuffalo said:
bardicverse said:
Garcian, I'm not sure where you're getting all this from. Zelda was considered a very long game, far more time than they could with Missile Command or Centipede. Yes, I agree, the arcades were about high scores. Think about what you are saying. You are suggesting that Tapper was more of a "core" game than Metroid.

Do you know the reason why "save games" came into play? Power outages. The developers saw that longer games are hard to start over again from the beginning, and a power surge or hardware glitch could undo severe progress. Imagine getting ready to fight Gannon in Death Mountain and then suddenly there's a split-second brownout in town. Those 4-5 hours you invested in getting that far are now gone. I do find it interesting how you translate save games into a "casual friendly" tool. To give you an idea, just from personal experience - my family were all gamers back in the days of arcades and Atari 2600. By the NES, only my dad would play, and that was Mario Bros and duck hunt. Everyone in the family backed out of gaming because it became more time consuming than they cared for. Games got longer, more involved than the simplistic design of Pac Man.

If people were complaining about the NES, it was because the games got harder, not because they got "casualized". Arcades were simple levels, like one of my favorites, Phoenix. They just got faster and harder. It was purely hand-eye coordination basics - the faster you could react, the further you could get. Even games that had stories in the arcades were simple reflex - think back to Dragon's Lair. Complete story, but all you had to do was follow the screen prompt to move in the right direction.

Your go from point a to b doesn't apply to many games on the NES, but Zelda being a prime one of those. The path wasnt clearly defined, and you didnt have to do most of the levels in order (tho it made it more difficult). Metroid was like this too. In fact, I can apply your argument only to side scrollers, where you couldn't even GO back to where you were (Super Mario Bros).

You seem to have a very different recollection, but it could be the location too. By some of your language, I would assume you're over in northern Europe. In New York City, entertainment culture changes rapidly, so the view on this side of the pond could have been different from your side.

I didn't wanted to get on that topic because I was very young on the NES days but I remember a family anecdote.

I have this cousin who is now married and still loves videogames. On those days he had a comodore 64 and played with it. He didn't had a NES because he considered the NES games "lame and dumb" whil his C64 was "cool". But time laster, he bought a NES. The reason, my aunt WANTED one and he bought for her.

In the end, he sold his c64 to buy "zelda 2" "smb3" and TMNT the arcade game".

Ha, that's awesome. The first round of computer vs console battles "Commodore 64 is for the core, NES is for kiddies!" ;)