By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

bardicverse said:
Garcian, I'm not sure where you're getting all this from. Zelda was considered a very long game, far more time than they could with Missile Command or Centipede. Yes, I agree, the arcades were about high scores. Think about what you are saying. You are suggesting that Tapper was more of a "core" game than Metroid.

Do you know the reason why "save games" came into play? Power outages. The developers saw that longer games are hard to start over again from the beginning, and a power surge or hardware glitch could undo severe progress. Imagine getting ready to fight Gannon in Death Mountain and then suddenly there's a split-second brownout in town. Those 4-5 hours you invested in getting that far are now gone. I do find it interesting how you translate save games into a "casual friendly" tool. To give you an idea, just from personal experience - my family were all gamers back in the days of arcades and Atari 2600. By the NES, only my dad would play, and that was Mario Bros and duck hunt. Everyone in the family backed out of gaming because it became more time consuming than they cared for. Games got longer, more involved than the simplistic design of Pac Man.

If people were complaining about the NES, it was because the games got harder, not because they got "casualized". Arcades were simple levels, like one of my favorites, Phoenix. They just got faster and harder. It was purely hand-eye coordination basics - the faster you could react, the further you could get. Even games that had stories in the arcades were simple reflex - think back to Dragon's Lair. Complete story, but all you had to do was follow the screen prompt to move in the right direction.

Your go from point a to b doesn't apply to many games on the NES, but Zelda being a prime one of those. The path wasnt clearly defined, and you didnt have to do most of the levels in order (tho it made it more difficult). Metroid was like this too. In fact, I can apply your argument only to side scrollers, where you couldn't even GO back to where you were (Super Mario Bros).

You seem to have a very different recollection, but it could be the location too. By some of your language, I would assume you're over in northern Europe. In New York City, entertainment culture changes rapidly, so the view on this side of the pond could have been different from your side.

Just because a game is long doesn't mean it's not "casual." The Sims is the epitome of a "casual game," and you can play a single game of that longer than many "hardcore" games. What made Zelda appeal to the expanded audience - and a trait that it shares with The Sims - is that it's accessible, and that it's easy to fit into casual play schedules. The latter is largely due to the save system, while the former owes itself to the NES' simple control scheme and the fact that combat only requires a couple of buttons that each do the same thing.

The "high score = hardcore" phenomenon is by no means universal, true. The "hardcore" nature of arcade games stems largely from the competitive culture surrounding them at the time - though their largely inaccessible nature, by way of their high-score-oriented achievement mentality and long required play sessions, also plays a large part. Tapper had no such connotations.

The notion that save games came into existence due to power outages, rather than as a disruptive market strategy designed to reel in new gamers, is also ridiculous, and doesn't give nearly enough credit to Nintendo's inventive marketing. I don't know what would lead you to believe that, as the latter assertion seems far more logical and far more in line with Nintendo's business strategies at the time.

Re, the anecdotal evidence concerning your family: The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

People were complaining about NES games' difficulty - relative to arcade games? Care to point me to some such accounts, or are you just pulling all of this out of your ass?

"Going from point A to point B" was a simplistic description, but if you want to play semantics, what I meant to say was that the new NES games were progression-based, as opposed to achievement-based. That is to say, they still had achievements, but the achievements involved reaching a certain point of progression, as opposed to the more arbitrary achievement of beating your high score or what-have-you.

I don't know where you got that I'm European - I've lived in the mid-Atlantic US my entire life. I don't think that our experiences would be that different.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
@disolitude - "Wii is a gamecube 1.5 with waggle control scheme..." jesuschrist did you use THE MOST PATHETIC EXCUSE the wii haters use?

Note to self: ignore this troll

Prove me wrong... visuals are pretty similar, online is tacked on in most basic mode if available, sounds is...well still "Whoopie", experience is not the same...but its cause of motion controls/balance board. Take that away and what are you left with...GC ports of resident evil? And nitnendo games that probably could have come out for the gamecube (and some like Zelda did).

Im not here to start a war that Wii = GC X 1.5...im just syaing that nintendo really hasn't done anything different games wise this gen. They have with accessories, so the article saying that first party games sell wii is wrong...

Here's one for you, leave Halo3's shiny graphics and you have Halo 2, guess people bought the Xbox360 for something else. V_V

That arguement is strawman at best.

lol...nice argument

If we take visuals away we are still left with 4 player coop and split screen, online stat tracking that is unmatched by any other game, new online game modes and maps, better lobby and matchmaking system, new weapons...

To some people that may not be enough to justify game purchase...so MS had to throw in sweet visuals too...those bastards!

famousringo said:
disolitude said:

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

That might make some kind of sense if the Wii wasn't still topping the software charts. But since it is, that just demonstrates that the software really is that good.

What software? Mario KArt Wii, smash bros and Wii Fit are great yes...but anything else that came out in the last year that sold well? And 1 million in sales is great but really nothing that people should marvel at considering Wiis huge userbase...

1337 Gamer said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

this is what i was gonna say

Consumers say no, Wii first party sells more

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

You are listing every nintendo published game in the last 2 years. You missed on xbox 360 PGR4 Forza 2 crackdown

Sony Motorstorm 1 & 2, Warhawk, Uncharted

Lot more variety is found at Ms and Sony than at nintendos first party efforts.

Sales say MS and Sony first party sucks compared to Wii, and consumers are the most important reviewers of all

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

uh, Halo3's graphics are not that good, poor argument dib, the point to Halo is that it's a product that MS has to stick to no matter what and always support because that's what made the xbox popular in the first place, what I hate is they try to drain your money all the time with 800 MS points over and over and over, like hell if I'm going to play that game.

disolitude said:
famousringo said:
disolitude said:

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

That might make some kind of sense if the Wii wasn't still topping the software charts. But since it is, that just demonstrates that the software really is that good.

What software? Mario KArt Wii, smash bros and Wii Fit are great yes...but anything else that came out in the last year that sold well? And 1 million in sales is great but really nothing that people should marvel at considering Wiis huge userbase...

at least provide the correct numbers....

dahuman said:
uh, Halo3's graphics are not that good, poor argument dib, the point to Halo is that it's a product that MS has to stick to no matter what and always support because that's what made the xbox popular in the first place, what I hate is they try to drain your money all the time with 800 MS points over and over and over, like hell if I'm going to play that game.

You mean for maps? Thats why you can make your own, if you think you can do a better job than bungie.

Of you are saying that you should get peoples work for free then I am not sure I can agree with that... Bungie spent time and resources making those new maps every 6 months and they are asking for 10 bucks...seems fair to me.

mai said:

disolitude said:

Surprisingly, but people still buying Wii mostly for the same damn game, released over 2 years ago. That's just beyond my understanding. How they could possibly buy smth that got released more than 3 months ago? No matter how you spin it, but Wii is software-driven like any other console.

Unlike you, they don't spend time on Video Game websites looking for new games to come out. Its not beyond understanding, its common sense. What Nintendo simply did this generation is tap a market that no one expanded on last generation . These are the same people who go into a game store and fail to see the massive Wii section in front of them, only to ask the clerk "where are the Wii games?". The same people who prefer playing minutes a day instead of hours a day. The same people who buy games like Carnival Games and Deca Sports over Madworld and Zack & Wiki.

disolitude said:
dahuman said:

You mean for maps? Thats why you can make your own, if you think you can do a better job than bungie.

Of you are saying that you should get peoples work for free then I am not sure I can agree with that... Bungie spent time and resources making those new maps every 6 months and they are asking for 10 bucks...seems fair to me.

that's just corp brainwashing you and trying to drain more money from you, I'd say don't buy into it but you most likely already have.