By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Wow I can't belive it... She's serious? Geez... O_o I never thought anyone would not know that or doubt it!

Around the Network

She should look at a damn picture of the earth from space. Moron. Or maybe look at the freaking moon.

She is a moron >.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Who uses a library anymore, anyway? Maybe for research papers and getting "real" sources...but in thirty seconds on the internet you can find out how long before he was assassinated that Abe Lincoln had a bowel movement.

Apostrovich said:

Galileo was forced to recant his view, all of his books were outlawed/burned, and he was put under house arrest for the rest of his life. Regardless of how anyone thinks that might have helped him, that is a severely dickish way to deal with someone who used nothing but factual information and observation in his theories. Also, he was a christian, and the arguments they used against him were....

"Psalm 93:1", "Psalm 96:10", and "Chronicles 16:30" ..."the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved."
"Psalm 104:5"....."[the LORD] set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."
"Ecclesiastes 1:5"...."the sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises."

Also, he was initially put in prison, THEN put under house arrest, and all of his works, including any he might write after that were banned, and all existing ones were officially deemed heretical by the pope himself. Also heliocentrism was deemed heretical.

Also Galen was ignored because it came to light that since it was illegal to dissect humans, he dissected animals, which were considered inferior by the church, and thus nothing of use to human medicine could be learned from studying their "primitive" forms.

Oh, and heliocentrism remained heretical and all of his books remained officially banned in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum from 1633 to 1737, and there was no apology for any of this until 1992, when Pope John Paul II expressed "regret" over imprisoning a faithful christian for his entire life.

Oh, and anyone who thinks that it was beneficial to him, he only managed to get out of prison and under house arrest by befriending a bishop. Otherwise he's have probably remained in actual prison.

ummhh...Yeah they were all burned and destroyed and that's why we still know his name and read his books today. Besides I didn't actually say this was a good thing(or beneficial to him). I said it might possibly make him more productive, anyone forced to give up a social life and be locked in your house would force you to write and work more there. Again I'm not claiming the church is right, it's horrible what was done, but the church, I don't consider it a religious entity, remember they were burning people alive left and right who tried to read the bible, yes, people who were translating the bible out of latin so people can actually read it, were being killed for it, in fact they were burned with the bible hung from their chest. Does that sound like God fearing religious people? There is a reason Michaelangelo painted the pope in hell. Everything about everything they did was condemed by their own faith, it was just another form of government instilling fear into people so they can control them and exert their own power on the world. It's done in many forms.

And not for nothing even though no one is being killed or enprisoned for it, it's not easy to be a scientist with a new idea. But it's not religion that your fighting against. Please if your a scientist with a new understanding of something your going to get a lot of flack about it by the science community, and if it goes against politically charged concepts then you might lose your job for it. There has been well respected editors that have lost their jobs and that have been threatened because of unpopular beliefs.

I also find it funny that people think your an idiot if you don't believe what your taught in school, like evolution, or global warming, which we're told almost all scientists believe, yet most people don't acccept other ideas like there are infinite parallel worlds and other versions of ourselves on these other universes. Yet that's universally accepted now in science.

Around the Network

I don't need to watch this video. I can see it is about The View, and therefore features the dumbest women on the face of our round earth.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

fooflexible said:

I love that everyone who believes in evolution acts like they are smarter then people who don't. First off Galileo wasn't killed by the church, he wrote some of his best of his scientific works right up to his natural death( at 78). They did kick him out of church, and house arrest him, which I think made him more productive scientifically, he wrote plenty of books in his house. Then I thought you meant Copernicus, being that he is another noted scientist that the church had problems with. but he died naturally at 70, and in good favor with the church might I add. In fact Science is so quick to claim men like Galileo, Copernicus, and Newton, as their forfathers, but all those men were religious, belived in God and creation, and in fact were motivated scientifically by that faith, and particualarly in Newton's case wrote more about religion then science.

Do you feel smarter than someone who believes in Zeus, Hera, and the rest of the Greek pantheon on mount Olympos?

What about a doomsday cult that believes the end is nigh, and aliens are coming to pick up the worthy few within our lifetimes? 

I don't necessarily believe I'm more intelligent than a creationist, as indoctrination can make even a formidable thinker hold some extremely contradictory beliefs, but I definitely think my worldview is more rational, and better aligned with reality than that of someone who makes important decisions in his/her life based on the recorded oral tradition of a bunch of nomads that wondered around the deserts of the Middle East some 3000 years ago.

But yeah, a lot of the forefathers of science had seriously unscientific worldviews by our standard. Newton, for example, believed he was not inventing anything new, but rather rediscovering "the Wisdom of the Ancients" that the philosophers of ancient Greece and the prophets of the Old Testament had known, but was then lost during "the dark ages". Supposedly this knowledge contained the entire nature of the universe, and completely uncovering it would usher a Golden Age in the Kingdom of God, and other complete nonsense like that.

Parokki said:
fooflexible said:

I love that everyone who believes in evolution acts like they are smarter then people who don't. First off Galileo wasn't killed by the church, he wrote some of his best of his scientific works right up to his natural death( at 78). They did kick him out of church, and house arrest him, which I think made him more productive scientifically, he wrote plenty of books in his house. Then I thought you meant Copernicus, being that he is another noted scientist that the church had problems with. but he died naturally at 70, and in good favor with the church might I add. In fact Science is so quick to claim men like Galileo, Copernicus, and Newton, as their forfathers, but all those men were religious, belived in God and creation, and in fact were motivated scientifically by that faith, and particualarly in Newton's case wrote more about religion then science.

Do you feel smarter than someone who believes in Zeus, Hera, and the rest of the Greek pantheon on mount Olympos?

What about a doomsday cult that believes the end is nigh, and aliens are coming to pick up the worthy few within our lifetimes?

I don't necessarily believe I'm more intelligent than a creationist, as indoctrination can make even a formidable thinker hold some extremely contradictory beliefs, but I definitely think my worldview is more rational, and better aligned with reality than that of someone who makes important decisions in his/her life based on the recorded oral tradition of a bunch of nomads that wondered around the deserts of the Middle East some 3000 years ago.

But yeah, a lot of the forefathers of science had seriously unscientific worldviews by our standard. Newton, for example, believed he was not inventing anything new, but rather rediscovering "the Wisdom of the Ancients" that the philosophers of ancient Greece and the prophets of the Old Testament had known, but was then lost during "the dark ages". Supposedly this knowledge contained the entire nature of the universe, and completely uncovering it would usher a Golden Age in the Kingdom of God, and other complete nonsense like that.

Well I don't believe in evolution, I'm not ignorant of it's teachings, I've probably read far more about evolution then most people who accept it. My point is people are told, here this is what's going on, and then people just believe it. People believe lot's of stupid things, people believe tons of lies too, and many things that are also true. The point is true are false, right or wrong they just believe them. I just like to encourage people in general to think and read about things before they make those choices(whether you conclude with my viewpoint or an opposing viewpoint, my thing is for people to actually know what they are talking about) for me it's simply irrational to believe all of life is chance(and that's my in a nutshell arguement, I can go on about Dawkin's writing in the matter, Darwin's original theories, discuss findings on the Cambrien age, I've read many books on this subject(not just a few websites).

As for thinking your better aligned with reality by making important choices not including the wisdom of "a bunch of nomads" in my opinions that is just ignorant of the information. Call the book outdated and you'd be wrong, the advice in their has changed alot of people around by reading it. People who had drug problems, anger managment problems, people who are depressed. Call believing in God foolish, but it's in every culture, every race every part of the earth, its a huge dliemma why evolution brought about a desire to worship a God. Most people I know who are evolutionists who are atheists, well they are typically pessemistic in life, and don't seem to have any hope as they believe their existince is only to perputate their own genes and then die, which by the way if you believe in evolution, then you should try to have as many kids as possible with as many women as possible, as that is the only accomplishment in the big picture. Yet I find alot of evolutionist,atheists who argue against evolution tend not to have children, yes they readily admit that life's only purpose is to continue your own chain of the evolutionary tree, yet they aren't making babies, it's like they failed their only bioligical purpose.

Parokki said:
fooflexible said:

No.

Yes...

and Mormans too. And Isaac Newton actually did rediscover stuff more then discover I believe... a lot of our scientists have had to make up a lot lost during the Dark Ages. Other then that eh.

Oh wait this had something to do with not believe evolution.  Nevermind.  I do.  I'm not catholic... but i mean if the Pope accepts it you know that the people who don't believe the science have to be a bit wacky.

You don't base religious or life beliefs around evolution. You base absence of them around evolution. There is no such thing as failing in the biological sense. "Failing" to produce offspring implies that you are either physically, mentally, or environmentally unable to reproduce. It can only help the gene pool. And failure to believe that you and everything else are a product of one invisible, all knowing omnipotent being that is perfect in every way is not pessimism. It's only pessimistic compared to primitive delusions of grandeur that in many cases can be traced back to the use of hallucinogenic drugs used during the stone age to create "spiritual trances" meant to complete a hunt in the "dream world" and thus ensure it's success in the "real" world.