By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
tombi123 said:
@fooflexible

I dont believe for one second you have ever picked up a book on evolution. If you had, you would know that evolution is not chance, and is infact the complete opposite of chance.

The reason why the Earth and are solar system is perfect for intelligent life forms to exist, is because we exist. (Almost) everywhere else in the universe is unsuitable for intelligent life to exist (at this point in time), so it doesn't exist. In other words you shouldn't be surprised to find that Earth is the perfect place for life to exist, because life does exist on Earth!

So your calling me a liar then? Evolution is chance. the opposite of chance is something done intentionally. Something done with oversight, something done on purpose, kind of like a creator creating something. And I have read plenty on evolution, I've subscribed to many scientific magazines through the years, all of which believe in evolution, I've read works from Dawkins, Gould, and Darwin himself. I've also on the other side read stuff from Johnathen Wells, Michael Behe, Dembski, and alot of articles on sites like Discovery.org But thanks for calling me a liar.

Around the Network

Eh, I perfer Stephen Hawkins take on it.

Science doesn't prove their isn't a god. Science just proves that if their is a god he doesn't work in an arbitrary way.

The mating impulse is a physical one, not a mental one. In other words people want to have sex more then they want to have kids. Since having kids is how well the human race continues to exist there is some influence socially to convince people to have kids hence why people have them. (among other reasons.)

In poorer countires the birthrates are much higher because kids help your chance of surviving, once they're out of diapers they're like free labor that you can depend on to help you get through. That's why they have way more kids well that and the mortality rate.

In modern societies kids actually hurt surviviability because they cost a lot of money, well except the people who have kids for the welfare.

No no, the world is Square! That's how you get the experience egg people!

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

@fooflexible

Well if you have read books on evolution you have misinterpreted it. Evolution is not chance. Chance is something that happens randomly. If say over a very long period of time the world slowly got colder. Now lets take a short haired mammal living in a hot enviroment, say a Tiger. Every Tiger has a different length of hair determined by a gene. Now as the environment slowly gets colder, the Tigers with the longest hair are more likely to survive, so are more likely to produce offspring and therefore pass on their 'longer hair' gene. Over time as the environment gets colder and the 'longer hair' gene gets passed down generation to generation, slowly the Tigers hair gets longer an longer with each generation. Say this time period was 1,000 years. So you take a Tiger from a hot environment and see that it has short hair, perfectly evolved to the hot environment. Then 1,000 years later you take a longer haired Tiger, perfectly evolved to its colder environment.

This is evolution, I hope you can now see that the Tiger didn't randomly, by chance grow longer hair. But rather the Tigers that had shorter hair froze to death in the colder environment, and the longer haired Tigers survived, passing on their 'longer hair' gene.

You have to remember that evolution doesn't think or have a will, a slug isn't any less evolved than a Human and a slug wont evolve into a Human. Evolution doesn't have a goal or an aim. It just explains how animals are perfectly adapted to their environment.

tombi: How many evolutionists would say any animal is perfectly adapted to their environment? Well, maybe Sharks. Or sloths. It's a nice, slow gradual change, no perfection met.

See Ya George.

Around the Network

My example was a very simple one, its way more complicated than that. But it is easy to understand like this.
I suggest reading a Richard Dawkin book for anyone who doesn't understand evolution, then you will relize how beautiful the theory is.

@Fuzzmosis

Perfectly adapted as in they are still alive and not extinct. You seem to contradict yourself, why do you say sharks and sloths are perfectly adapted but no other animal? But anyway, yeah by perfectly adapted, I meant not dead.

@Kasz216

Yeah I like Stephen Hawking's take that science doesn't prove there is not a God.

But it shouldn't have too, the reason for science isn't to discredit religion and prove it is wrong. It is about a disire to understand the universe and the way it works. Religion doesn't want you to understand, it wants you to believe that God did it and that that is a good enough explanation. This is why religion attacks science, because it fears we might understand 'God's mind'.

tombi: One was an example of what is generally known as the perefect hunter. The other, an animal that sleeps for 23 hours and moves as fast as a bowel movement. What generally would be such a contrast that one would know that they were joke suggestions. They weren't entirely serious. Sorry.

And thus, we have come full circle: Emos are not perfectly adapted. Wait.. we knew that.

See Ya George.

@Fuzzmosis

Sorry, I did detect hints of a joke, but went for the serious approach :P