By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The World is Flat?

A while ago. I commented that there are still people that believe the world is flat. Guess what?

"I don't know. I never thought about it Whoopi. Is the world flat? I never thought about ...I...I...No....But I'll tell you what I have thought about. How I'm going to feed my child, take care of my family. 'Is the world flat' has not been an important thing to me."

Around the Network

Only way to save humanity is to make breeding only possible if you meet a certain intelligence criteria.

if not idiocracy here we come - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYnc_-ddlw

What's a labrary?

this is why I hate religion.

Christianity and evolution can coexist perfectly. Please dont take the stupid comments of one woman as justification of a hatred for religion

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Christianity and evolution can coexist perfectly. Please dont take the stupid comments of one woman as justification of a hatred for religion

what he said.

But funny how like whoopi said 4 runners for presidnet or somethuing liek that dont believe in evolution LMAO.

I'll stay out of the religion bashing just this once, but will take this chance to remind people that nobody actually thought the world was flat during the Middle Ages. It's a myth that started during the Enlightment to highlight how much smarter people where than before, and has lived until today because well... I'm sure we all know how fun it's to laugh at our fore-fathers because they didn't know all the "really basic and obvious" stuff we were taught at school.

Wikipedia says so, so it must be true! =P

Parokki said:
I'll stay out of the religion bashing just this once, but will take this chance to remind people that nobody actually thought the world was flat during the Middle Ages. It's a myth that started during the Enlightment to highlight how much smarter people where than before, and has lived until today because well... I'm sure we all know how fun it's to laugh at our fore-fathers because they didn't know all the "really basic and obvious" stuff we were taught at school.

Wikipedia says so, so it must be true! =P

This post was a joke right? There are countless old texts by some of the greatest minds of the past saying they thought the world was flat...

I like Wikipedia, but it also said that thanks to Stephen Colbert, the number of elephants has tripled in the last few years  

Currently playing: Civ 6

cdude1034 said:
Parokki said:
I'll stay out of the religion bashing just this once, but will take this chance to remind people that nobody actually thought the world was flat during the Middle Ages.

This post was a joke right? There are countless old texts by some of the greatest minds of the past saying they thought the world was flat...

How about you show me a single one of those old texts, or admit you don't know what you're really talking about? Flat Earth was a common belief in bronze age cultures, and was held by many in early antiquity, but eventually the Greeks figured out the world was a sphere, and it was never actually forgotten. The troubles with Copernicus and Galilei were because they insisted the Earth went around the sun, and Columbus' great radical idea was actually the completely erronous belief that the world's diameter was about a third of it's actual size, and that he could easily sail across the Atlantic ocean to India. The only reason he survived and is remembered as a great explorer is that he got lucky, and there was this tiny patch of Earth now known as America in the way.  

The beliefs of the peasantry were too varied to describe here, but the educated were generally aware of the Earth's roundness, and Flat Earth was certainly never a part of official Church doctrine on any notable scale.

Please remember this is coming from a rather militant atheist with extremely negative opinions of organised religion, especially the two biggest ones. However, I insist on disliking them for factual reasons, and spreading the Flat Eary myth is not one in the least.

(yay, one thousand posts)

check this out

http://www.fixedearth.com

they believe that the earth doesn't move, that everything else circles it