By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony playing hard ball with PS3 owners

Sony's PS3 has struggles moving hardware especially in the North American and US markets. Everybody blames the systems price $399 and $499 for the respective models. I see another reason behind Sony's sales slump in the US. Sony first party exclusives never seem to drop in price.

Lets look at the facts:

Heavenly Sword --> Released September 12th, 2007 --> Price still $59.99

Rachet & Clack Future: Tool of Destruction --> Released October 23rd, 2007 --> Price still $59.99 with a sequel on the way.

Resistance: Fall of Man --> released November 14th, 2006 --> Now $29.99 price was dropped only due to impending sequel.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune --> Released November 19th, 2007 --> Price still $59.99 with sequel on the way

MotorStorm --> Released March 6th 2007 --> Now $29.99, only dropped due to impending sequel.

Lair --> released August 30th, 2007 --> Still $59.99

Is this what we're left with waiting for a sequel to come out for the price to drop. Look at the 360 and Wii, games tend to drop in price a year after a games initial release. Halo 3 dropped to $39.99 after 14 months, certain Wii first party exclusives have dropped $10-20 anywhere between 10-14 months after released. Why is Sony waiting to drop prices on these titles. My point is people looking to buy a PS3 would love to buy more games with it. If games were $29.99 you could purchase two versus spending $59.99 for one. People are turned off that the best games on the system which are all over a year old are still selling for the prices of new releases. By the way I own 4 of the 5 games I listed.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network

Zelda TP (a launch title)--> 59.99 at any Canadian Retailer.

seems like this is quite an universal practice.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
XGamer0611 said:

Sony's PS3 has struggles moving hardware especially in the North American and US markets. Everybody blames the systems price $399 and $499 for the respective models. I see another reason behind Sony's sales slump in the US. Sony first party exclusives never seem to drop in price.

Lets look at the facts:

Rachet & Clack Future: Tool of Destruction --> Released October 23rd, 2007 --> Price still $59.99 with a sequel on the way.

Resistance: Fall of Man --> released November 14th, 2006 --> Now $29.99 price was dropped only due to impending sequel.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune --> Released November 19th, 2007 --> Price still $59.99 with sequel on the way

MotorStorm --> Released March 6th 2007 --> Now $29.99, only dropped due to impending sequel.

Is this what we're left with waiting for a sequel to come out for the price to drop. Look at the 360 and Wii, games tend to drop in price a year after a games initial release. Halo 3 dropped to $39.99 after 14 months, certain Wii first party exclusives have dropped $10-20 anywhere between 10-14 months after released. Why is Sony waiting to drop prices on these titles. I left Lair off the list on purpose cause Sony had no choice to drop the price after the game was panned by the gaming community for the horrid controls which have been patched now. My point is people looking to buy a PS3 would love to buy more games with it. If games were $29.99 you could purchase two versus spending $59.99 for one. People are turned off that the best games on the system which are all over a year old are still selling for the prices of new releases. By the way I own 4 of the 5 games I listed.

In Europe those are all platinum and sold at €29

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
XGamer0611 said:

Lets look at the facts:

Is this what we're left with waiting for a sequel to come out for the price to drop. Look at the 360 and Wii, games tend to drop in price a year after a games initial release. Halo 3 dropped to $39.99 after 14 months, certain Wii first party exclusives have dropped $10-20 anywhere between 10-14 months after released. Why is Sony waiting to drop prices on these titles. I left Lair off the list on purpose cause Sony had no choice to drop the price after the game was panned by the gaming community for the horrid controls which have been patched now. My point is people looking to buy a PS3 would love to buy more games with it. If games were $29.99 you could purchase two versus spending $59.99 for one. People are turned off that the best games on the system which are all over a year old are still selling for the prices of new releases. By the way I own 4 of the 5 games I listed.

In Europe those are all platinum and sell at €29

Great so what you're trying to say is Sony is screwing the Americas?

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

I agree though there are some great deals online or flyers weekly but still there are not a lot of info on specific game sales. I usually come here to check http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=95aa437d72963194c55db06237078731&f=56

Around the Network

In the UK, resistance 1 and motorstorm 1 are £7.99

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

This has been a pretty bad generation for "budget" gamers regardless of the console manufacturer ...

One of the reasons why Sony was so successful in previous generations was that (after their console was on the market for about 2 years) anyone could walk into a store, pay less than $200 for the console, and buy from a display of games that were (mostly) pretty decent quality games for under $20 ... when you add the cost of "saving" games from being a $19 memory card to being a $50 Memory card or $100 hard-drive, and the price of controllers going from (about) $25 to $50, this generation has translated into the cost of gaming (almost) doubling regardless of the platform you choose.

It's not just sony dude, the original xbox hit halo 1 was 49.99 for like 2years until the sequel hit. I think it is more about people paying for quality vs the crappier games that people "expect" to be sold for less. And mind you everyone one of those games sold more than 2 million with the exception of Heavenly sword and ratchet and clank, so I guess the price barrier is not preventing these games from being more than profitable.

Where are these first party Wii games that have dropped?

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

I bought a new copy of dk: barrel blast for $10. that might be second party though.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka