By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thre needs to be an asterik by Wii Sports Numbers.

KylieDog said:
Same answer I always give:

[...]

If you start excluding, or making out as special, certain games for one reason or another, where does it stop? Most of the games in the VGC top 50 would need asterisks.

Wii Sports - Bundled, therefore doesn't count
Wii Fit - People could be buying it for the board, therefore doesn't count
Monster Hunter G - It's a port so it "would have sold higher" if it had been new, therefore doesn't count
Pokemon Platinum - It's 99% the same game as D/P, why is it counted seperate, therefore doesn't count
MKWii - People could be buying for the wheel, therefore doesn't count
Wii Play - People buy for the controller, therefore doesn't count
Killzone 2 - Bundling distorts sales, therefore doesn't count
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Only selling because people buy both, therefore doesn't count
Professor Layton - It's just a compilation of puzzles that already exist in print, therefore doesn't count
New Super Mario Bros. - Bundling distorts sales, therefore doesn't count
The Godfather II - Multplat means some people buy both, therefore doesn't count
Halo 3 - People just bought it for the limited edition 360, therefore doesn't count
Mario Tennis - GC Remake with Wii controls tacked on, therefore doesn't count
Dynasty Warriors - Game isn't high enough quality (OP gave this as a reason), therefore doesn't count

So I can do this too. Maybe every word on VGC should have an asterisk with five pages of qualification and "what if"s.

Around the Network
Louie said:
Neither is the Wii selling because of Wii Sports nor is Wii Sports only selling because it is bundled with the Wii. It's a combination of both so it is impossible to count how many people actually bought the game because they liked it.

I'd appreciate the idea of an asterisk behind bundled games, though. Not only Wii Sports but all games that have been or are being bundled just to make people aware of it.

Seeing that you are of course a Mod, could you try and get this to happen?

Louie said:

I'd appreciate the idea of an asterisk behind bundled games, though. Not only Wii Sports but all games that have been or are being bundled just to make people aware of it.

What about on EVERY game? What if people bought Zelda just because it was made by Nintendo rather than because they liked it? What if Resistance 2 would have sold more of only the advertising was better?

People need to be made aware of these!

Soleron said:
Louie said:

What about on EVERY game? What if people bought Zelda just because it was made by Nintendo rather than because they liked it? What if Resistance 2 would have sold more of only the advertising was better?

People need to be made aware of these!

It's just a sign to show that a game is being bundled not to say their sales don't count. No need to get angry

@Carl: We'll see. If it turns out that 25% of the games in the database have been bundled at some point (in an official bundle of course, not a bundle sold by a single retailer) then there's no way we can do this. Well, we'll see.

Folks

Is it a "forced sale?" -- Yes because in most of the world you have no choice. But it is a sale nevertheless. Even the term "forced sale" acknowledges this.

Anyone with any common sense knows that Wii Sports would not have sold but only about 21.7M copies had it not been bundled (this is based upon the attach rate in Japan where it is not bundled).

And if people think that any bundled game should get a special notation -- then so be it. There are a lot of games for a lot of systems that would receive that designation. Why else would Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda on the Xbox 360 have sold multiple millions of copies.

But Nintendo did not invent game bundling. The concept is older than most posters on this forum. Atari (2600 Combat, 5200 Super Break Out), Mattel (Intellivision Las Vegas Black Jack & Poker) and Coleco (Colecovision Donkey Kong) all did it pre-crash. The problem is that Sony eliminated bundled games and since most people first remember the PSX, they think that is the only way it was and ever shall be.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
txrattlesnake said:
SmokedHostage said:

It's great to wake up in the morning and see one of these threads.

I'm personally tired of this.. "I THINK THIS GAME IS BAD, THEREFORE EVERYONE IN THE WORLD MUST THINK THIS GAME, AND IT WOULDN'T BE SELLING THE WAY IT IS IF IT WASN'T BUNDLED"

You know what, it must likely wouldn't be selling numbers to wait it has if it wasn't bundled but guess what? It is.. and nothing you can say can make it any less true.

Hell, why don't we put an asterik on EVERY bundle game and put an annotation saying This game was bundled and shouldn't count because it was bundled.  I'm sure you'd piss off alot of people that way..

There are a lot of bundled games that shouldn't count.  Combat didn't have much to do with the sales of the Atari 2600.  It's always been debatable how much Tetris had to do with sales of the original Gameboy.  There are only a handful of bundled games that would have sold as well unbundled including Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

You have no way of knowing that, in fact I'm positive they wouldn't due to some people never hearing about them and buying the console for one other game.

txrattlesnake said:
       Well, when I'm talking about Wii Sports, I'm not primarily talking about the hd games.  I'm talking about the fact that people try to compare it to SMB, and it is no SMB in terms of anything.

And I wouldn't say the Wii only sells because of Wii Sports as I said before.  But, I would say that so far the games on Wii that have sold so well so far are family friendly or casual games look at the top 10 games in sales on the console while in comparison to similar games on the other consoles the good to great M-rated games on Wii don't seem to sell as well as they do on the PS3 or 360 in spite of the Wii's much larger install base.

Hate to tell you but the parallels between Super Mario Bros. and Wii Sports are undeniable. Besides the fact that they are the two best selling games of all time, they both have been packins for the two most successful Nintendo systems, and have radically changed the gaming world (don't argue that point, you wouldn't be sitting here bitching if this game was a hardcore shooter) - the biggest difference between the two is that Wii Sports is reaching out to a wider audience and is therefore selling better and will eventually push more console sales than Super Mario Bros. did.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

KylieDog said:
Soleron said:
KylieDog said:
Same answer I always give:

[...]

If you start excluding, or making out as special, certain games for one reason or another, where does it stop? Most of the games in the VGC top 50 would need asterisks.

Wii Sports - Bundled, therefore doesn't count
Wii Fit - People could be buying it for the board, therefore doesn't count
Monster Hunter G - It's a port so it "would have sold higher" if it had been new, therefore doesn't count
Pokemon Platinum - It's 99% the same game as D/P, why is it counted seperate, therefore doesn't count
MKWii - People could be buying for the wheel, therefore doesn't count
Wii Play - People buy for the controller, therefore doesn't count
Killzone 2 - Bundling distorts sales, therefore doesn't count
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Only selling because people buy both, therefore doesn't count
Professor Layton - It's just a compilation of puzzles that already exist in print, therefore doesn't count
New Super Mario Bros. - Bundling distorts sales, therefore doesn't count
The Godfather II - Multplat means some people buy both, therefore doesn't count
Halo 3 - People just bought it for the limited edition 360, therefore doesn't count
Mario Tennis - GC Remake with Wii controls tacked on, therefore doesn't count
Dynasty Warriors - Game isn't high enough quality (OP gave this as a reason), therefore doesn't count

So I can do this too. Maybe every word on VGC should have an asterisk with five pages of qualification and "what if"s.

Sorry but these examples are all stupid.   The difference between all of these and Wii Sports is that you have a CHOICE if you are going to own these or not.  You can buy a Wii or DS and not have to own these.

If you buy a Wii you are getting Wii Sports, like it or not.  Wii Sports is therefor just part of the Wii package and not a sale.

What about people who actually wanted wii sports? Their obvious sales just shouldn't count?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

You do realise that we we pay for the game?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

@Naum

According to txrattlesnake, we don't.

I think every game that has been bundled, sold at a discounted price, given away free in contests and giveaways, and bundled with accessories (wiimote, mic, eyetoy..) should have an Astrix next to it.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)