By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii market share the road to 60% or are we there yet?

Zlejedi said:

When someone tries to sell me rebranded GameCube with new controler for 2/3 of PS3 price then "greedy" is the nicest word that comes to mind

I don't think duct tape joke is funny anymore.

Around the Network

@Galaki

I didn't find it funny either.

@rckrz6

the wii has had more than 50% market share for more than two and a half years what it don't have is 50% install base which is a differebt thing all together.

Galaki said:
Zlejedi said:

When someone tries to sell me rebranded GameCube with new controler for 2/3 of PS3 price then "greedy" is the nicest word that comes to mind

That isn't joke. Nintendo pricing is joke.

I go to shop and see "uber expensive" ps3 at 1400-1500 PLN, then i look on the other shelf and see Wii at 1200 PLN how is that not funny ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

No chance in Hell the Wii will ever reach 60%. It has very little chance of reaching 50%.

Wii price cuts + new colors = nothing

People are not holding out on Wii because of price or colors. The system is already on the edge of being mass market priced, and even at that I don't think the momentum is going to go any higher if it drops $50. People are not complaining about the price now, and I have never met anyone that could not afford an extra $50 on something they want.

note: I have met people that can hardly afford to eat, but they are buying Gameboys for their kids, or a new cheap TV from Walmart. If people want or need something they will find the money, and Wii is already there.

PS3 + 360 x price cuts x motion x 3D x IPTV x music store x internet growth x HD penetration = A big challange for the Wii

This is why Wii is in a tight spot. PS3 is way out of the mass market price point, and a fully functional 360 is also a little ways away. Both systems are nearing big production cost cuts which will allow those prices to come very close to the comfort zone. Both systems have what it takes to do motion, and do it better than the Wii, if their parents are smart they will give their kids the option learn motion. Again, both systems also have the power to put out 3D games, Movies and TV's are heading there, and games are going to ride that hype. IPTV is possible on both boxes, and has been mentioned in the past by both companies. I have a strong feeling this is what Microsoft will show to change the way we view entertainment. Music stores should arrive on both systems at E3, although not game changing, it is still another reason for a purchase. Interet growth works with both the PS3 and 360, while it works against the Wii. As speeds grow, and the access areas widen, PS3 and 360 gain more and more value. This is an ongoing thing, and it has been shot down time and time again, but that does not mean it is not an important factor.

Now I am not saying Wii is doomed. In fact Wii is still going to do great. Only the competition is getting closer, and the price + gimmic advantage is going to be eroded.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Zlejedi said:
Galaki said:
Zlejedi said:

I go to shop and see "uber expensive" ps3 at 1400-1500 PLN, then i look on the other shelf and see Wii at 1200 PLN how is that not funny ?

You still don't get it, do you?

If being a joke isn't even funny, and you're serious...

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
No chance in Hell the Wii will ever reach 60%. It has very little chance of reaching 50%.

Wii price cuts + new colors = nothing

People are not holding out on Wii because of price or colors. The system is already on the edge of being mass market priced, and even at that I don't think the momentum is going to go any higher if it drops $50. People are not complaining about the price now, and I have never met anyone that could not afford an extra $50 on something they want.

note: I have met people that can hardly afford to eat, but they are buying Gameboys for their kids, or a new cheap TV from Walmart. If people want or need something they will find the money, and Wii is already there.

PS3 + 360 x price cuts x motion x 3D x IPTV x music store x internet growth x HD penetration = A big challange for the Wii

This is why Wii is in a tight spot. PS3 is way out of the mass market price point, and a fully functional 360 is also a little ways away. Both systems are nearing big production cost cuts which will allow those prices to come very close to the comfort zone. Both systems have what it takes to do motion, and do it better than the Wii, if their parents are smart they will give their kids the option learn motion. Again, both systems also have the power to put out 3D games, Movies and TV's are heading there, and games are going to ride that hype. IPTV is possible on both boxes, and has been mentioned in the past by both companies. I have a strong feeling this is what Microsoft will show to change the way we view entertainment. Music stores should arrive on both systems at E3, although not game changing, it is still another reason for a purchase. Interet growth works with both the PS3 and 360, while it works against the Wii. As speeds grow, and the access areas widen, PS3 and 360 gain more and more value. This is an ongoing thing, and it has been shot down time and time again, but that does not mean it is not an important factor.

Now I am not saying Wii is doomed. In fact Wii is still going to do great. Only the competition is getting closer, and the price + gimmic advantage is going to be eroded.

Wii is a fad, reconfirmed!

@KBG29

your own sig predicts about 55% install base end of 2009 now I won''t hold that against you as things do change but Wii market share has been at 50% for 30 months now market share and install base are to different things

@Galaki

What? How did you pull that out of what I wrote?

All I am saying is that if Microsoft and Sony are smart they will rip off the Wii's gimics, and give consumers the option of having them on their console instead. If that happens, there is no way that could be good for Wii. There are a lot of things that are coming up thanks that could possibly chanllenge the dominance its had on the market.

Also to reiterate my last bit from the other post. Wii will not die. Wii will not start to sell like crap. Wii may just start to slide back into normal numbers, while PS3 and 360 start moving towards what the Wii was doing. Also, I am not saying that Wii's new style of gaming is dead or a fad either. I am saying that MS and Sony will embrace it to take that advantage away from Wii.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Galaki said:
Zlejedi said:
Galaki said:
Zlejedi said:

You still don't get it, do you?

If being a joke isn't even funny, and you're serious...

So are you saying that i can't have my own opinion on Wii pricing ?

Nintendo are Apple of console world. They have great marketing which sells things despite price being worse than competition.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

If you align the launches of all 3 systems, Wii is already over 50%, so the only thing slowing the Wii down a bit is the 360's year long head start. Wii is over 50% every week and every month, and it's still speeding up while the PS3 is starting to slow down.