By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii market share the road to 60% or are we there yet?

ctk495 said:
I have hopes that it will.As soon as the Wii starts getting more 3rd party support we will see it reflected in the sales. I´m seeing 2010 as the turning point.

Honestly i dont think 3rd party games are going to have much of an effect in sales. Like someone else pointed out the wii is the "In" thing. Most of the people buying it dont care for games outside of nintendo games or resident evil games, music and rythem games. 3rd party support for the most part is negligable and nintendo knows this and thats why theyre doing so little to help 3rd parties

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

It wont reach 60.. no chance... it has NEVER really tracked much about 50%

Sales comparison of 2008 (Jan 5th to April 25th) 
and 2009 (Jan 3rd to April 26th)
  2007 2008 2009 2009 v 2008 % up/down
360 1,678,219 2,270,258 3,289,292 1,019,034 44.89%
Wii 3,703,260 5,512,828 6,075,690 562,862 10.21%
PS3 1,928,465 3,145,646 2,770,402 -375,244 -11.93%

Total 7,309,944 10,928,732 12,135,384 1,206,652 11.04%
Market share comparison (same period covered)
2007 2008 2009 2009 v 2008
360 22.96% 20.77% 27.10% 6.33%
wii 50.66% 50.44% 50.07% -0.38%
PS3 26.38% 28.78% 22.83% -5.95%    

While I don't think 60% will necessarily happen, what you said doesn't prove that it won't happen. A lot depends on the relative lifetimes of the three consoles.

If the Wii outlives the PS3 and 360's lifetime, it will effectively be selling at 100% market share for a while (since we're talking about PS360Wii market share only). IMO it all depends on whether this happens and for how long it stays that way.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@NJ5

now you're put the cat amonst the pidgens.

mjdans said:
@NJ5

now you're put the cat amonst the pidgens.

Maybe... If someone has some good reasons why the Wii would die earlier than the PS3 and 360, I'd like to hear them. Lower graphical power certainly didn't prevent the NES, PS1 and PS2 from outliving their competitors and expanding into more countries.

They're even manufacturing PS2 consoles in Brazil for the local market now...

http://jogos.uol.com.br/playstation2/ultnot/2008/09/04/ult185u9018.jhtm

(source in Portuguese, but you can translate with google translate)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@NJ5

you make a very good point though the answer that they will give you is by that time no one will care. Of coarse this is not true you only have to look at how people still quote PS2 sales to know this but that what they will say

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
arsenicazure said:
I dont think a wii pricecut would honestly matter at this point.. ppl dont buy wii coz their cheap or dont buy them coz theyr expensive.. they buy them cause its "IN" and it has motion controls...

360 is pushing sales and honestly the sweetest deal would be a pro at 199 that would rattle the market completely..

PS3 still has some big ones in its kitty.. pricecuts, GT5, FF in japan

so would the wii go to 60%??.. unlikely.. mario is out, smash bros is out, zelda is out, metroid is out,mario kart is out.. most of the major Nintendo titles have seen the light of day.. would we see second round of sequels on the wii.. likely.. and that would push sales.. but overall i think the wii is going to sell around the same level it currently has or a lil lower..

the max i would give wii is 55%.. but with ps3 growing and 360 showing no signs of slowing down.. the market share is more likely to stabilize, rather than grow.

No, sorry, but even if its the "in thing", price still has an effect on whether people buy, a lot of people are going to wait until its cheaper, before they buy it

I would agree with you, but unfortunately the wii at $250 outsells the 360 arcade($199), quite handsomely. So its not a question of price with the 360 vs the wii

No one with half a brain will buy a gimped 360, I wouldn't touchthat grabage even if it was $50

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

wii marketshare will never reach %50 , its acually dropping now instead of going up

At this rate, Wii Sports could easily be the best-selling video game every year for the rest of our lives, so I think the Wii will hit 60% at some point in the future.

greenmedic88 said:
Actually with consoles like the PS3, expect the audience to continue to broaden as it sells more units at cheaper price points, much like the PS2 did.

As much as I hate to say it, when reduced budget games become more common place (development costs drop), and the hardware prices become more mass market friendly, is when real market expansion takes place for any console that's managed to stay competitively in the game.

I don't want to use the Xbox as a model for the future of the 360 as the 360 has already succeeded where the Xbox failed in terms of library and hardware sales, but MS is clearly trying to expand markets as well from both a broader market appeal from both a software variety angle (broad appeal/"casual" games) and mass market friendly hardware prices.

There's no reason to believe either console will remain with the core and "semi-core" demographics. Barring any early exits/replacements, the trend will only move in the opposite direction towards broader market appeal.

Why should we expect it to broaden as it gets cheaper?  Why shouldn't we expect it to end up like the gamecube, dreamcast, Neo-Geo etc?

It's doing better then those systems... but the PS3 has a lot more in common with the losers of generations then it does the winners.

@the ghost

LOL. I hope we all live longer than that.

@Kasz216

not sure historical data works this gen though yuo have a good point.