By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 3 or Metal Gear Solid 4. Which is the greatest/most influential game.

Smashed said:
MGS4 by a LONG shot.
Halo doesn't even compete with any metal gear games, in my opinion.

And the great thing about the world today is that everyone's entitled to their own wrong opinion.

Around the Network

Looks like both of them were influenced by earlier games. This is why they have the numbers 3 and 4 after them.

Also, neither is the greatest. Greatest would mean the single greatest game ever. That is GoldenEye. Everyone knows that.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Hold on. We are talking about greatest most influential game? Where is Mario in this discussion?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Sony fanboys will say MGS4.

MS fanboys will say Halo 3.

Neutral observers will say whilst both are awesome games, neither will be considered the most influential/greatest game of all time, let alone this generation (I stand by that comment about this generation, we haven't seen anything yet). I would even go as far as to say that neither are the best of their series.

By the way, there is a massive difference between influence and greatness, the truly great games have both. It can be argued that MGS4 has "a lot" of greatness but not much influence (we won't see every other game have 30 min long cutscenes or CQC-like system), where as Halo 3 might have a lot of influence (the way multiplayer is played for FPS) but may not be as great as MGS4 outright.

This is why games like SM64 and OoT trump them both.

I'm going to go with the neutrals.

This is a dumb thread. They're completely different genres.

Halo has inspired a lot of FPS games.

MGS on the other hand inspired games like Splinter Cell.

Also the guy who started this thread is a huge PS3 fanboy so he'll agree with anything that makes MGS4 sound great.

Around the Network

man, nice pictures, can you send me them. MSG4 has sold snake as a good protagonist but Halo 3 has a epic story that makes the game playable..

Halo_John said:

man, nice pictures, can you send me them. MSG4 has sold snake as a good protagonist but Halo 3 has a epic story that makes the game playable..

Just get them off Google.

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

Thanks

CAL4M1TY said:

Neutral observers will say whilst both are awesome games, neither will be considered the most influential/greatest game of all time, let alone this generation (I stand by that comment about this generation, we haven't seen anything yet). I would even go as far as to say that neither are the best of their series.

By the way, there is a massive difference between influence and greatness, the truly great games have both. It can be argued that MGS4 has "a lot" of greatness but not much influence (we won't see every other game have 30 min long cutscenes or CQC-like system), where as Halo 3 might have a lot of influence (the way multiplayer is played for FPS) but may not be as great as MGS4 outright.

SM64 is terrible I may burn at the stake for this but i hate that game with a burning passion it almost killed Mario for me.   Now if you had said super Mario brothers 3 i could respect that 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:
CAL4M1TY said:

SM64 is terrible I may burn at the stake for this but i hate that game with a burning passion it almost killed Mario for me.   Now if you had said super Mario brothers 3 i could respect that 

I personally prefer smb3 also.

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>