By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who wants Sega to make another System? Why?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
CHYUII said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
neerdowell said:

Why would anybody think that Microsoft is such a huge fan of Sega's work. Microsoft is not a fan of anybody's work but their own. Sure they copied some of their ideas, but that's what they do. They saw it as an opportunity. If anything, Microsoft's business strategy is completely the opposite of Sega.

74They buy other console's exclusives, rather than making their own. They focus on hardware and online, rather than software. They have brought console gaming closer to pc gaming, rather than identifying and trying to preserve the factors that made console gaming unique to begin with. They have no mascot to identify themselves with (though according to Stage Halo counts, but I guess that means that Mac can identify themselves with Halo as well, and pc as well), whereas Sega essentially defined themselves through Sonic. They also don't have a wide diversity in their games while Sega throughout the years has pretty much covered every genre even eventing a few on their own.

Do you even know the story of why the original Xbox looked the way it did? Microsoft are fans of Sony, hence why they were the only ones who got Shenmue and Jet Set Radio Future. You need to stop mixing up your opinion with facts. Sony and Microsoft are no different from one another when it comes to the videogame industry so you need to quit with the double standards. Everything Microsoft has done, Sony has already done.

Google it.

Google what specifically?

see if any articles remain out there on the web that confirm or deny the theory that X-box was birthed from Dreamcast.

Around the Network
CHYUII said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CHYUII said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
neerdowell said:

Why would anybody think that Microsoft is such a huge fan of Sega's work. Microsoft is not a fan of anybody's work but their own. Sure they copied some of their ideas, but that's what they do. They saw it as an opportunity. If anything, Microsoft's business strategy is completely the opposite of Sega.

74They buy other console's exclusives, rather than making their own. They focus on hardware and online, rather than software. They have brought console gaming closer to pc gaming, rather than identifying and trying to preserve the factors that made console gaming unique to begin with. They have no mascot to identify themselves with (though according to Stage Halo counts, but I guess that means that Mac can identify themselves with Halo as well, and pc as well), whereas Sega essentially defined themselves through Sonic. They also don't have a wide diversity in their games while Sega throughout the years has pretty much covered every genre even eventing a few on their own.

Do you even know the story of why the original Xbox looked the way it did? Microsoft are fans of Sony, hence why they were the only ones who got Shenmue and Jet Set Radio Future. You need to stop mixing up your opinion with facts. Sony and Microsoft are no different from one another when it comes to the videogame industry so you need to quit with the double standards. Everything Microsoft has done, Sony has already done.

Google it.

Google what specifically?

see if any articles remain out there on the web that confirm or deny the theory that X-box was birthed from Dreamcast.

The Xbox wasn't birthed from the Dreamcast. Microsoft were big fans of Sega and the Dreamcast. I'll go and find some things to prove their relationship with Sega.

Sega and Microsoft team up:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/mar01/03-30segapr.mspx

Microsoft getting Sega to exclusively bring Sega games onto the roster last gen.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/oct01/10-11segatopgamespr.mspx

IGN talking about the original Xbox controller and how it resembles the dreamcast controller.
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/089/089721p1.html

Other gamers on another website talking about how Microsoft buying Sega would work for gamers.
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/139852-Portable-Gaming-How-I-think-Microsoft-could-enter-and-win/

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft getting Sega to exclusively bring Sega games onto the roster last gen.

IGN talking about the original Xbox controller and how it resembles the dreamcast controller.

Other gamers on another website talking about how Microsoft buying Sega would work for gamers.
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/139852-Portable-Gaming-How-I-think-Microsoft-could-enter-and-win/

Those articles prove what again?

The first article merely shows Sega pledging it's support for the xbox, something they have done for all the other consoles as well.

The second article speaking of exclusive content: Sega has released exclusive content on all systems; in fact, I would go as far as to say that their two best games this generation, Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza 3 are Sony exclusives, plus last generation Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle were exclusive to the gamecube, as well as Skies of Arcadia being ported to both gamecube and ps2 (not to xbox); these were three of their bigger titles on the dreamcast.

The third; Imitation of one company's ideas says nothing about being a fan or not. Companies copy what they believe is successful; Sony copied rumble, motion control (six-axis), analog, and probably other things I'm forgetting, does that imply they are fans of Nintendo...not really. Microsoft and Nintendo copied backward compatability from Sony, are they fans of Sony?

The fourth: Sega teaming up with anybody would benefit gamers; in fact, them teaming up with Sony or Nintendo would be an even greater benefit since those two have much more diverse first party offerings to begin with; with Sega they would be offering pretty much double. Imagine being able to buy a console and knowing it would easily have twice the exclusive content of any of the other consolers merely off of their first party support. Lots of people would kill to have Mario and Sonic be side by side all the time.

The only correlation I see between Microsoft and Sega is that the dreamcast ran on Windows CE (Console Edition) in order to enable software developers to be more familiar with developing for the system, making it easier to develop for and easier to port pc titles to, similar to how Microsoft does with their consoles. Microsoft therefore got their first experience in the console world with Sega, so it makes perfect sense they would imitate the source they were most familar with. If anything, Sega was pissed at Microsoft for them never revealing they had intentions to enter the console market until the dreamcast was a year or so into it's lifecycle, which placed even more pressure on Sega due to the imminent release of three consoles. If Microsoft was such a fan of Sega why would they have made up their mind to enter the console market knowing it would be yet another factor to contribute to Sega's death? The fact that people continue to say that Microsoft is the new Sega is an absolute insult to somebody like me who considers themself to be a Sega fan first and foremost.

Oh, by the way, what are these double standards you speak of? Why would you presume that I don't know of the things Sony has done just because I disapprove of people saying Microsoft is a fan of Sega. I would be offended if anybody claimed Sony or Nintendo was a fan of Sega as well.

How do you breathe again?

Only two words can describe the awesomeness of Sega: Segata Sanshiro

Around the Network

Sega should license the best of the 360 and PS3 controllers, WiiMote, XBox Live, and Blu-Ray with the ability to run all three consoles' games calling it the Sega HD Console and I would throw all my consoles away and buy the Sega HD Console.

Solid said:

Only two words can describe the awesomeness of Sega: Segata Sanshiro

With amazing commercials like that, how did Sega ever fail!!! Even if I wasn't a Sega fan and they produced the worst console ever I would buy one just for that commercial. They should make a new game based off of that character and it should be a launch title for their new console.

neerdowell said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Those articles prove what again?

The first article merely shows Sega pledging it's support for the xbox, something they have done for all the other consoles as well.

The second article speaking of exclusive content: Sega has released exclusive content on all systems; in fact, I would go as far as to say that their two best games this generation, Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza 3 are Sony exclusives, plus last generation Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle were exclusive to the gamecube, as well as Skies of Arcadia being ported to both gamecube and ps2 (not to xbox); these were three of their bigger titles on the dreamcast.

Sony was a shoe in for VC and Yakuza 3 in Japan. Sega was smart to stick with Sony with that series. The sales would've been horrible in Japan and a waste of investment dollars. Nintendo on the other hand was Nintendo's biggest rival...but they have no contempt towards Nintendo hence why Sonic lives as a multiplatform and with Nintendo.

The third; Imitation of one company's ideas says nothing about being a fan or not. Companies copy what they believe is successful; Sony copied rumble, motion control (six-axis), analog, and probably other things I'm forgetting, does that imply they are fans of Nintendo...not really. Microsoft and Nintendo copied backward compatability from Sony, are they fans of Sony?

Peter Moore whom was with Sega works with Microsoft now and their ties were close. Microsoft had done business with Sega even before they came out with the Xbox. Sony cannot say a thing about this and neither can Nintendo.

The fourth: Sega teaming up with anybody would benefit gamers; in fact, them teaming up with Sony or Nintendo would be an even greater benefit since those two have much more diverse first party offerings to begin with; with Sega they would be offering pretty much double. Imagine being able to buy a console and knowing it would easily have twice the exclusive content of any of the other consolers merely off of their first party support. Lots of people would kill to have Mario and Sonic be side by side all the time.

Seriously....with Sonys track record, could you see them teaming up with anyone?

The only correlation I see between Microsoft and Sega is that the dreamcast ran on Windows CE (Console Edition) in order to enable software developers to be more familiar with developing for the system, making it easier to develop for and easier to port pc titles to, similar to how Microsoft does with their consoles. Microsoft therefore got their first experience in the console world with Sega, so it makes perfect sense they would imitate the source they were most familar with. If anything, Sega was pissed at Microsoft for them never revealing they had intentions to enter the console market until the dreamcast was a year or so into it's lifecycle, which placed even more pressure on Sega due to the imminent release of three consoles. If Microsoft was such a fan of Sega why would they have made up their mind to enter the console market knowing it would be yet another factor to contribute to Sega's death? The fact that people continue to say that Microsoft is the new Sega is an absolute insult to somebody like me who considers themself to be a Sega fan first and foremost.

You can push aside all the respect Microsoft has shown to Sega. Microsoft even hired out of Sega's lineup after the fall of the dreamcast and Segas console potential.

Oh, by the way, what are these double standards you speak of? Why would you presume that I don't know of the things Sony has done just because I disapprove of people saying Microsoft is a fan of Sega. I would be offended if anybody claimed Sony or Nintendo was a fan of Sega as well.

Well Kutaragi was a fan of Nintendo, seeing that his child was into Nintendo at the time he saw profit in investing with videogames. Microsoft respected Sega, especially with their efforts in creating the first online video game system. Everyone thinks Microsoft steals, but if Sony takes titles its passable. That is the double standard, when both corporations are in this industry for anything but the games. If you don't learn anything...learn this: " Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

@S.T.A.G.E. Sony did work with Sega in the past, with the Sega CD. Also, Sony had approached Sega with the idea of teaming up on a console, Sega refused.

If Microsoft is such a big fan of Sega, why did they allow their negotiations to buy Sega fall out, letting Sammy take the deal instead?

Microsoft hired out of Sega after the fall of the dreamcast in order to have somebody with experience, particularly Moore since he was head of Sega's North American operations. Coincidentally, Moore also played a key part in the discontinuation of the Dreamcast (could that have been a payoff from Microsoft in order to eliminate more of their competition before entering the market?).

Also, I make no denial of the fact that Sony has copied others. It's not a double standard, the same standard; it's just that Microsoft has violated that standard on a whole other level, the same goes for Nintendo in their exclusive contracts during the NES era;

Also, if imitation is flattery, why are you so pissed off at Sony? According to you they're the biggest fans of Microsoft out there right now, you should love them.

I like the idea of it but not now. They are starting to do great again.
If they are planning on making console again, they should do it when they are ready.