By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Next Big Thing in Gaming IS...?

whatever it is Nintendo will do it first and they will probably do 2 or 3 things new that no one ever thought of doing before.

The DS, with its D-pad, touch screen and duel screens, and the Wii, with its motion controls, ir pointer, nunchuck split controller and blue tooth functionality, proves my point.

Even the N64 did 3 new things. Analogue stick, Rumble pack and memory expansion.

Whatever MS and Sony do im confident Nintendo will embarrass their multi million dollar R&D divisions yet again.

Im betting on 3d, but it will have to be cost competitive and of course fun.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

3D goggles.

3D is the single most impressive tech I can think of right now. Far more important and immersive than motion controls I think.

And probably many times as costly too.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DiplomaticImmunity said:
Bullet100000 said:
PS4!!!!!

post of the FUCKING DAY

You guys and your hopes for the creativity of Sony. It's almost too funny. Show me proof that Sony even gives a damn about pushing gaming technology to the next level? Don't prove to me that they will push multimedia to the next level....but gaming. Ok....start now.

Playstation.

graphics improvement will reach a limit and it's almost there

the graphics of Ps3/Xbox360 are close to real (at least in top games)
2 gen from now graphics will look like real, what improvement can be in gaming from there on!?

maybe Nintendo has the answer, those guys never run out of ideas

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DiplomaticImmunity said:
Bullet100000 said:
PS4!!!!!

post of the FUCKING DAY

You guys and your hopes for the creativity of Sony. It's almost too funny. Show me proof that Sony even gives a damn about pushing gaming technology to the next level? Don't prove to me that they will push multimedia to the next level....but gaming. Ok....start now.

Playstation.

The first system  yeah...but after the first gen, it was obvious Sony didn't give a damn about taking gaming to the next level (The same goes for Microsoft). Sony pissed their pants when they knew the Wii was going to be a motion sensing system. The Sony acted like their new Six Axis controller was new technology during the launch, when it was just a nicer looking rip off of a 3rd party product from Pelican for tilt gaming with Warhawk back in the PS1 days. They couldn't even get the rumble to work on the Six Axis. Why couldn't they just ask Pelican nicely "How did you do it?"

Around the Network

How about a motion capture suit/shirt/vest

Actually i just another power glove

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DiplomaticImmunity said:
Bullet100000 said:
PS4!!!!!

post of the FUCKING DAY

Playstation.

The first system  yeah...but after the first gen, it was obvious Sony didn't give a damn about taking gaming to the next level (The same goes for Microsoft). Sony pissed their pants when they knew the Wii was going to be a motion sensing system. The Sony acted like their new Six Axis controller was new technology during the launch, when it was just a nicer looking rip off of a 3rd party product from Pelican for tilt gaming with Warhawk back in the PS1 days. They couldn't even get the rumble to work on the Six Axis. Why couldn't they just ask Pelican nicely "How did you do it?"

Listen, their issues with patent infringment and Sony pissing their pants when they heard about Wii is not athe topic at hand. You said give me proof that Sony wants to push gaming to the next level and actually gives a damn about advancing gaming technology.

PlayStation.*

perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DiplomaticImmunity said:
Bullet100000 said:
PS4!!!!!

post of the FUCKING DAY

Playstation.

Listen, their issues with patent infringment and Sony pissing their pants when they heard about Wii is not athe topic at hand. You said give me proof that Sony wants to push gaming to the next level and actually gives a damn about advancing gaming technology.

PlayStation.*

The Playstation pushed nothing. It was what Sony did that made the Playstation worth a damn in acquiring all of those 3rd party titles, while Nintendo relied mainly on first party with the 64. Using a CD for Playstation was only right up the alley and isn't by stretch of the imagination pushing gaming in any direction at all. If you want to see the only company that pushed gaming in a new direction, it was Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft can only add to the graphics and power....thats about it. Your idea of pushing gaming to the next level has more to do with hardware potency...rather than what you can do with a system.

The market history of 3D head-mounted displays isn't very good.

I don't know, maybe somebody can pull it off.

S.T.A.G.E. - Not at all. My idea of pushing video gaming to the next level has absolutely nothing to do with hardware potency. It has to do with bringing gaming into the mainstream and appealing to as wide of an audience as you can. Yes, it's something the Wii is doing today. It's also something that PS1 & PS2 did, hence their record-breaking numbers. That, my friend, is called pushing gaming in a direction. Making CD's the platform for their games instead of a cartridge allowed third parties to use the space for their advantage, so I could see why some people would say that pushed gaming to the next level, but that was not what I was talking about.