By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Next Big Thing in Gaming IS...?

perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E. - Not at all. My idea of pushing video gaming to the next level has absolutely nothing to do with hardware potency. It has to do with bringing gaming into the mainstream and appealing to as wide of an audience as you can. Yes, it's something the Wii is doing today. It's also something that PS1 & PS2 did, hence their record-breaking numbers. That, my friend, is called pushing gaming in a direction. Making CD's the platform for their games instead of a cartridge allowed third parties to use the space for their advantage, so I could see why some people would say that pushed gaming to the next level, but that was not what I was talking about.

Nintendo is the only company pushing the limits of gaming. When companies like Microsoft and Sony, state that fans of Nintendo will graduate, I think "Maybe they will....but I highly doubt it". Most of the Nintendo Wii owners aren't core gamers. They just want something simple and Nintendo gave it to them, while pushing hardware potenial. If Nintendo raises the value of graphics on their systems, something else hardware wise changes with it, unlike Sony and Microsoft. As for Sony and the CD format...that is an old hat that was in use since the Sega CD. They've pushed absolutely nothing. I'm PS360 myself but I am amazed at how Microsoft and Sony have shown how little gaming genius they have. Nintendo will always have my undying respect for that...and in the harmony with that, I will be buying my parents a Wii this year since they stated that they were intested in one.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E. - Not at all. My idea of pushing video gaming to the next level has absolutely nothing to do with hardware potency. It has to do with bringing gaming into the mainstream and appealing to as wide of an audience as you can. Yes, it's something the Wii is doing today. It's also something that PS1 & PS2 did, hence their record-breaking numbers. That, my friend, is called pushing gaming in a direction. Making CD's the platform for their games instead of a cartridge allowed third parties to use the space for their advantage, so I could see why some people would say that pushed gaming to the next level, but that was not what I was talking about.

Nintendo is the only company pushing the limits of gaming. When companies like Microsoft and Sony, state that fans of Nintendo will graduate, I think "Maybe they will....but I highly doubt it". Most of the Nintendo Wii owners aren't core gamers. They just want something simple and Nintendo gave it to them, while pushing hardware potenial. If Nintendo raises the value of graphics on their systems, something else hardware wise changes with it, unlike Sony and Microsoft. As for Sony and the CD format...that is an old hat that was in use since the Sega CD. They've pushed absolutely nothing. I'm PS360 myself but I am amazed at how Microsoft and Sony have shown how little gaming genius they have. Nintendo will always have my undying respect for that...and in the harmony with that, I will be buying my parents a Wii this year since they stated that they were intested in one.

fair enough, I agree with practically everything you said there anyway.

I have no clue.. I do know it'll most likely come from Nintendo though.. I mean look at Wii MotionPlus.. It seems to be a big upgrade but it was how Nintendo wanted the Wii Remote to be in the first place so really you have to think about what 5 years of Nintendo R&D could do on top of the Wii Remote, Wii MotionPlus and the Nunchuk.

Sony haven't changed their controller design since they copied the N64 analog stick and decided to add two for symmetry purposes. It's stayed the same.. I know some people will say well yeah, they got it right the first time and sadly I think Sony think that way too.. I just can't see them innovating too much in terms of controller design.. I could see some kind of split controller though.

Microsoft could really change it up but I think they'll screw up if they change their controller too much. Microsoft are very good at perfecting something that somebody else has made so if they go for a Wii Remote like design I think they could do very well but they'll be a generation behind Nintendo.

Who knows what may lie ahead.. I think we should hear the first things of the next XBOX from Microsoft next year, whether it be a unveiling or just a tease that they're working on games for the next generation or something.. So it won't be long until we see some next gen goodness

Well if it weren't for large corporations like Wal Mart and Gamestop who sell video games, I'd say it would be digital downloads. But thank goodness for them because I like the idea of going to stores to pick up those cases with my discs haha.

I really don't know what the next big thing in gaming will be. I can't even take a guess. Although I'm sure next generation will continue to put focus on motion sensing, downloadable games (although not large retail ones), and social online networking (although I can't say I'm too happy about this one either. Fads of this generation actually turned out to be the heavy focus on HD graphics haha. Who would have guessed.

Zucas said:
Well if it weren't for large corporations like Wal Mart and Gamestop who sell video games, I'd say it would be digital downloads. But thank goodness for them because I like the idea of going to stores to pick up those cases with my discs haha.

I really don't know what the next big thing in gaming will be. I can't even take a guess. Although I'm sure next generation will continue to put focus on motion sensing, downloadable games (although not large retail ones), and social online networking (although I can't say I'm too happy about this one either. Fads of this generation actually turned out to be the heavy focus on HD graphics haha. Who would have guessed.

Do you think there will ever come a time when a system will be all download no discs?

Around the Network

It willbe all about Media/Online/Graphics/Physics

CHYUII said:
Zucas said:

Do you think there will ever come a time when a system will be all download no discs?

That is the future of gaming. By the time digital downloads become extremely popluar, Sony will most likely pull out, because they like to control hard formats.

rafichamp said:
It willbe all about Media/Online/Graphics/Physics

So it's going to be about Chips.

And everyone (on site) will have BIG Chips on their shoulders.

"Someone's always trying to start [rival systems] crying- Fussing, stealing, lying... They want to be starting something, gots to be starting something."

S.T.A.G.E. said:
CHYUII said:
Zucas said:

That is the future of gaming. By the time digital downloads become extremely popluar, Sony will most likely pull out, because they like to control hard formats.

I think you're right.

Only way it would be different if they found a way to make a powerful system that they could get profit from starting day one.

CHYUII said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CHYUII said:
Zucas said:

I think you're right.

Only way it would be different if they found a way to make a powerful system that they could get profit from starting day one.

Exactly.