By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Starcraft bought a PS3...

wenlan said:
Rainbird said:
Only in the US I believe.

Don't forget Japan/Asia.

Oh right. Though it doesn't make much of a difference xP

Around the Network

Starcract, Please take time to reply to this post, I am writing a very detailed response, and I've come out of hibernation just to post this :).

Disc Based Games:

Tier 0

1. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Please buy this game, as opposed to renting it. I think its at a bargain price at most places. Its probably twice as much to buy it than it is to rent it. Its well worth every penny, and you'll be supporting the developers.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots- There are no words, just absolute awesome.

3. Little Big Planet- It may not be your cup of tea, but it is the perfect multiplayer game with friends. The moment you get it and play with your buddies, you will not stop laughing. Plus the levels are constantly updated, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPBdKQBYHg. I believe the game might be dirt cheap now at retail.

4. Valkyria Chronicles - As Gaf says "Genre Defining Gameplay meets Art"

Tier 1

1. Resistance 1 / 2 - This is a very iffy reccomendation, you'll end up falling for atleast one of the games. I'll say that much. Also, if you want to play co-op make sure to start a thread, Jo21, Makingmusic and some of us will join up with 8 player co-op R2 :D.

2. Demon's Soul - this game is absolutely fucking hard, but its pretty much the Japanese Oblivion, only.... BETTER.

3. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - Third Person Action Adventure games are a rare breed, this game does it all, beautiful graphics, great story, RPG leveling up system. Its definetely worth buying to support the devs. Its also dirt cheap.

4. naruto: Ultimate Storm -  Best looking Anime fighter? Check. 

Here is a list of games off the Store you should definetely download. I highly suggest sharing an account with someone because you can than download multiple games and share.  EVERY GAME I am listing is ABSOLUTELY GREAT. I am VERY UPSET with the community,  for not once mentioning Pixel Junk Eden, Wipeout HD, or Ragdoll Kung Fu. I'll expand upon why I think each game is worth your time:

Tier 0

1. Pixel Junk Eden- This game is living, breathing, art. Thats all I can say. MORE PEOPLE SHOULD BUY THIS GAME.

2. WARHAWK!!!!222!!! - probably the best third person multiplayer, all scale, shooter I have played this gen. This game has a great online community, that is very consistent with it. Its a little pricey at 29.99, but its very much worth it if you are looking for a new multiplayer game.

3. RAGDOLL Kung Fu - This game is like Brawl, only it has better graphics. IT IS 9.99. It does not have online due to the technicalities of its physics engine, but if you have friends over, this will be the best 9.99 you ever spent.

4. FAT Princess- 32 Player. Multi Class. Multiplayer. Mayhem. This is in beta stages right now, keep an eye out for a key.

4. Wipeout HD - I am really disappointed no one mentioned this. This game has absolutely everything going for it. Beautiful graphics, insane speeds, amazing techno soundtrack, and its made by Sony Liverpool to boot! This is penultimate online PS3 futuristic racer.

Tier 1:
1. Super Stardust HD- Fast, frenic, online shooter in the vein of Geometry Wars but slightly better IMO.

2. FLOW / FLOWer- Read about Eden :).

3. Everyday Shooter- If you like quirky, beautiful, action shooters with amazing graphics and old school gameplay, this is definetely the one for you.

4. Ratchet: Quest for Booty - This requires zero explanation, if you ilke R&C, you will like this.

Tier 2

1. Pixel Junk Monsters- Tower Defense? If thats your thing, pick this up.

2. The Last Guy - Amazing arcade like gameplay, over the top, zombie game.

Worth getting, but not exclusive-

1. Burnout Paradise- its a psn exclusive.   So no more discs :D. 

THE FUTURE

Tier 0:

1. God of War 3

2. Uncharted 2

3. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

4. Heavy Rain

5. Secret PS3 game :lol:

Tier 1:

1. Quantum Theory- From Tecmo, this is a Gears of War, meets Devil May Cry title.  Its shaping up to look mighty sexy.

Future Ports:

Tales of Vesperia - More cutscenes, a tie into the anime, more story points, twice as long script writing.  If this doesn't scream superior port, I don't know what does.

ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma: They are fixing all the broken issues with the first game, adding co-op, and improving the graphics.  If you liked it on 360, this is the definitive version.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Disc Based Games:

Tier 0

1. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Please buy this game, as opposed to renting it. I think its at a bargain price at most places. Its probably twice as much to buy it than it is to rent it. Its well worth every penny, and you'll be supporting the developers.

IF I get a good price, I'll buy it.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots- There are no words, just absolute awesome.

One thing that really appeals to me about the title is it's single-player nature.  But it is still MGS.  I just have never gotten into it.  I'll see.

3. Little Big Planet- It may not be your cup of tea, but it is the perfect multiplayer game with friends. The moment you get it and play with your buddies, you will not stop laughing. Plus the levels are constantly updated, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPBdKQBYHg. I believe the game might be dirt cheap now at retail.

I'm not a huge online gamer.  It will depend on how regularly I have people around on my Ps3.

4. Valkyria Chronicles - As Gaf says "Genre Defining Gameplay meets Art"

Tempted, very tempted.

Tier 1

1. Resistance 1 / 2 - This is a very iffy reccomendation, you'll end up falling for atleast one of the games. I'll say that much. Also, if you want to play co-op make sure to start a thread, Jo21, Makingmusic and some of us will join up with 8 player co-op R2 :D.

Rentals I think.  Though 8 player co-op does sound appealing.

2. Demon's Soul - this game is absolutely fucking hard, but its pretty much the Japanese Oblivion, only.... BETTER.

As I said above, I'm keeping a close eye on it.

3. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - Third Person Action Adventure games are a rare breed, this game does it all, beautiful graphics, great story, RPG leveling up system. Its definetely worth buying to support the devs. Its also dirt cheap.

Had my first R&C experience on a PSP the other day and quite enjoyed it, so I may pick this up cheap.

Here is a list of games off the Store you should definetely download. I highly suggest sharing an account with someone because you can than download multiple games and share.

EVERY GAME I am listing is ABSOLUTELY GREAT. I am VERY UPSET with the community, I'll expand upon why I think each game is worth your time:

Tier 0

1. Pixel Junk Eden- This game is living, breathing, art. Thats all I can say. MORE PEOPLE SHOULD BUY THIS GAME.

2. WARHAWK!!!!222!!! - probably the best third person, all scale, shooter I have played this gen. This game has a great online community, that is very consistent with it. Its a little pricey at 29.99, but its very much worth it if you are looking for a new multiplayer game.

3. RAGDOLL Kung Fu - This game is like Brawl, only it has better graphics. IT IS 9.99. It does not have online due to the technicalities of its physics engine, but if you have friends over, this will be the best 9.99 you ever spent.

4. FAT Princess- 32 Player. Multi Class. Multiplayer. Mayhem. This is in beta stages right now, keep an eye out for a key.

4. Wipeout HD - I am really disappointed no one mentioned this. This game has absolutely everything going for it. Beautiful graphics, insane speeds, amazing techno soundtrack, and its made by Sony Liverpool to boot! This is penultimate online PS3 futuristic racer.

Tier 1:
1. Super Stardust HD- Fast, frenic, online shooter in the vein of Geometry Wars but slightly better IMO.

2. FLOW / FLOWer- Read about Eden :).

3. Everyday Shooter- If you like quirky, beautiful, action shooters with amazing graphics and old school gameplay, this is definetely the one for you.

4. Ratchet: Quest for Booty - This requires zero explanation, if you ilke R&C, you will like this.

Tier 2

1. Pixel Junk Monsters- Tower Defense? If thats your thing, pick this up.

2. The Last Guy - Amazing arcade like gameplay, over the top, zombie game.

Worth getting-

1. Burnout Paradise off psn.

The PSN titles are a potential problem.  I dont have a credit card and my parents are sceptical of internet transactions.  Until Sony brings cards out like MS have for MS Points, this may be a no-go scene for me.

As for Burnout Paradise?  My monthly download limit (which I am looking to change ASAP) is currently 12GB.  Thats pretty par for the course in Australia, and makes downloading a full retail game like this one impossible.

Thankyou, GREAT post.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Does anyone mind sharing with Starcraft with online games for the moment? I know some of you have to be loaded with goodies?

THE FUTURE

Tier 0:

1. God of War 3

2. Uncharted 2

3. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

4. Heavy Rain

5. Infamous

6. Secret PS3 game :lol:

Tier 1:

1. Quantum Theory- From Tecmo, this is a Gears of War, meets Devil May Cry title. Its shaping up to look mighty sexy.

Future Ports:

Tales of Vesperia - More cutscenes, a tie into the anime, more story points, twice as long script writing. If this doesn't scream superior port, I don't know what does.

ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma: They are fixing all the broken issues with the first game, adding co-op, and improving the graphics. If you liked it on 360, this is the definitive version.

Around the Network
talkingparrot said:

THE FUTURE

Tier 0:

1. God of War 3 So there my friend.  I own the first two and they are awesome.

2. Uncharted 2 I have a feeling I'll really enjoy the first, and if so the second is a must.  I played the first briefly.

3. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time Depends on Tools of Dsetruction

4. Heavy Rain Hell yes.

5. Infamous Getting interested

6. Secret PS3 game :lol:

Tier 1:

1. Quantum Theory- From Tecmo, this is a Gears of War, meets Devil May Cry title. Its shaping up to look mighty sexy.

Future Ports:

Tales of Vesperia - More cutscenes, a tie into the anime, more story points, twice as long script writing. If this doesn't scream superior port, I don't know what does.

ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma: They are fixing all the broken issues with the first game, adding co-op, and improving the graphics. If you liked it on 360, this is the definitive version.

Not the biggest Ninja Gaiden fan, but I'm looking into ToV.

Starcraft: that sucks about the PSN card issue :(

Too bad Sony hasn't gotten its act together in Europe... Hopefully someday soon. Here are my recommendations on that glorious day:

Fat Princess and Trine both look awesome -- I think they're supposed to come out in June. (Fat Princess definitely is awesome -- the beta is great and it only has one map and two game modes.)

I would try a demo of the pixeljunk games, some love them some buy them and then never play them.

Echochrome is definitely worth a try if you like unique puzzle games. Very smooth and polished game based around a concept that makes you sound smart even when describing it to non-gamer friends. Not really any story or progression to keep you going -- really just a bunch of stages and a level editor.

Flower is a downloadable game up there with Braid. It's an all feeling game, while Braid is more of a thinking and feeling game. I would definitely skip flOw and just get Flower. Flower also has the best sixaxis controls so far on the PS3.

Maybe you can paypal a VGC member you trust and get them to buy a US PSN card for you. Then you could buy things on a US PSN account. (Remember you can create as many PSN accounts as you want -- I have one for the US, one for the UK, and one for Japan, each set up under a different PS3 profile. You might be saving money that way, as well.

Super Stardust HD is a game off the store that I loved - give it a try

Alic0004 said:

Too bad Sony hasn't gotten its act together in Europe... Hopefully someday soon. Here are my recommendations on that glorious day:

Fat Princess and Trine both look awesome -- I think they're supposed to come out in June. (Fat Princess definitely is awesome -- the beta is great and it only has one map and two game modes.)

I would try a demo of the pixeljunk games, some love them some buy them and then never play them.

Echochrome is definitely worth a try if you like unique puzzle games. Very smooth and polished game based around a concept that makes you sound smart even when describing it to non-gamer friends. Not really any story or progression to keep you going -- really just a bunch of stages and a level editor.

Flower is a downloadable game up there with Braid. It's an all feeling game, while Braid is more of a thinking and feeling game. I would definitely skip flOw and just get Flower. Flower also has the best sixaxis controls so far on the PS3.

Maybe you can paypal a VGC member you trust and get them to buy a US PSN card for you. Then you could buy things on a US PSN account. (Remember you can create as many PSN accounts as you want -- I have one for the US, one for the UK, and one for Japan, each set up under a different PS3 profile. You might be saving money that way, as well.

I thought of that, but then figured maybe just import cards and create a US account myself.

But I suspect I will leave it, and the day Sony Europe gets their act together is the day I will buy a tonne of online games.

starcraft said:
Alic0004 said:

I thought of that, but then figured maybe just import cards and create a US account myself.

But I suspect I will leave it, and the day Sony Europe gets their act together is the day I will buy a tonne of online games.

Oh yeah, there's also game sharing.  I would have forgotten about it if Talkingparrot hadn't mentioned it.  Every time you buy a game on PSN you're allowed to share it with a certain number of other accounts -- people will sometimes use this to let their friends try their games, or even split the cost of games.  So if the PSN card thing doesn't get sorted out, buddy up to some board members :)