By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Screws Wii again

jhlennon1 said:
I look at FIFA08 and Madden 08 sales for the Wii and it says it all.... LOL

Really? Because I think Tiger Woods 07 selling .72 million certainly shows *some* sports games can do well on the Wii. I mean if you want to talk about 3rd party success on systems, there are still only 3 PS3 games which have sold more than .5 million copies (one right at .5), and they cost a heck of a lot more to make than any Wii game. You consider the PS3 successful with Sports games, and while they are certainly one of it's best selling genres, Madden still didn't break half a million on it. There is a valid argument that there isn't a single successful 3rd party game on the PS3.

Around the Network
windbane said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
windbane said:

EA publishes a lot of great games.

Publishing good games does not make you a good company. There are plenty of publishers out there for developers to choose from.

I have zero interest in EA sports titles so the number of EA developed games I actually care about is practically zero as well.

For a list of EA's stuff, look here.

They develop a lot of quality games as well. This year was actually the best Madden and NHL is quite some time. They also improved NBA Live but 2K is still better there. It's important who publishes the game, though, because they do the advertizing. No Microsoft published game has yet to show up on another console, but I believe they have some DS games lined up so I suppose that will change.

You didn't actually read what I posted did you?  No sooner had I just finished saying that I have zero interest in EA sports titles do you respond with "The develop quality games... the best <sports titles>..."

windbane said:

But hey, if you guys are content with getting screwed (I wasn't with the PS3 NCAA), then fine. I hope you remain happy. I just see no reason to attack PS3's lineup compared to the Wii. It's clear the PS3 has more quality games to choose from and that the Wii is getting the shaft. I am looking forward to the supposed Wii attack of games because every third party changed development priority. Not many have been announced so far.

I don't think there is reason to attack any console's lineup at this point.  Some PS3 owners are satisfied with the current games, some are not.  Some Wii owners are satisfied with the current games, some are not.  That will never change.  As it stands, many view the PS3 as getting the shaft.  The 360 has Halo 3 and the Wii is getting Super Mario Galaxy.  The PS3 doesn't have any heavy hitter in the near future it looks like.  Does that make the PS3's offering bad?  In some peoples' minds it does.  In others such as yourself, not so much.

I think you and your posts would do without the "us versus them" mentality you seem to be projecting.  Insults will only reflect insecurity.  jhlennon1 shows this point very well.

windbane said:
Onimusha12 said:
Windbane this thread is perfectly legitimate and an valid discussion, but that aside don't think anyone is blind to the rather obvious motives illustrated in your dubiously insistant claims. I know the Wii is bur in the side of many gamers not fond of Nintendo's upset in the gaming world, and who can blame them? But it'll take more than EA's fickle choice in hinder the Wii's success.

This isn't just "pish-poshing" bad news for the sake of defending the Wii either, this is puting into context a gaming genre that means little to most gamers by a publisher which evoke's little more than contempt from an even larger majority.

I don't think it's limited to EA, though.  EA is probably the worst example so far, even though they attempted a Wii cash-in with Boogie.  EA hasn't exactly made me happy as a PS3 owner either.  We'll see what happens next year with both the PS3 and Wii.  I have both, so I'm expecting a little catch up so I don't have to get a 360 and can just upgrade my PC for Bioshock.  I'd like to see a PC and/or PS3 version of Mass Effect, too, which EA now has control over since they bought Bioware.

True, that is a valid take on the matter, though I think you may be a bit pesemistic on the outlook for the Wii and its third party developers. If anything, Bioware and the other developer recently purchased by EA are more likely to make games for the Wii now. That doesn't garantee they'll be good games, that doesn't garantee EA will turn around it handling of the Wii, but the fact remains, the situation is no worse off than it was before.

If EA is going to handle their business poorly, then they are going to suffer for it, simple as that, the Wii or any other console can't be burdened to worry about developers that aren't living up to their end of the deal.

Words Of Wisdom said:
windbane said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
windbane said:

EA publishes a lot of great games.

Publishing good games does not make you a good company. There are plenty of publishers out there for developers to choose from.

I have zero interest in EA sports titles so the number of EA developed games I actually care about is practically zero as well.

For a list of EA's stuff, look here.

They develop a lot of quality games as well. This year was actually the best Madden and NHL is quite some time. They also improved NBA Live but 2K is still better there. It's important who publishes the game, though, because they do the advertizing. No Microsoft published game has yet to show up on another console, but I believe they have some DS games lined up so I suppose that will change.

You didn't actually read what I posted did you? No sooner had I just finished saying that I have zero interest in EA sports titles do you respond with "The develop quality games... the best ..."

windbane said:

But hey, if you guys are content with getting screwed (I wasn't with the PS3 NCAA), then fine. I hope you remain happy. I just see no reason to attack PS3's lineup compared to the Wii. It's clear the PS3 has more quality games to choose from and that the Wii is getting the shaft. I am looking forward to the supposed Wii attack of games because every third party changed development priority. Not many have been announced so far.

I don't think there is reason to attack any console's lineup at this point. Some PS3 owners are satisfied with the current games, some are not. Some Wii owners are satisfied with the current games, some are not. That will never change. As it stands, many view the PS3 as getting the shaft. The 360 has Halo 3 and the Wii is getting Super Mario Galaxy. The PS3 doesn't have any heavy hitter in the near future it looks like. Does that make the PS3's offering bad? In some peoples' minds it does. In others such as yourself, not so much.

I think you and your posts would do without the "us versus them" mentality you seem to be projecting. Insults will only reflect insecurity. jhlennon1 shows this point very well.

You said publishing games does not make you a good company. Well, you not liking sports game does not make them a bad company. They develop a lot of highly rated games.

I agree that all the systems have their games. I'd say there are several games on the 360 that are overall better than Halo 3 (most games should have replays), but a few of those are also on the PS3. Galaxy is great but when Zack and Wiki is the only other game taking advantage of the Wiimote lately it's hard to be content imo. I'd say the Wii is still more of a backup console, but that's just my opinion.

I do keep hearing that the PS3 has no huge title this fall but I'd put Uncharted in that category, CoD4 just came out, GT5: Prologue is coming out (beta already released in Japan which I plan to download just to stare at in awe), The Orange Box hopefully won't suck. I suppose GT is the only one that fits the "huge hitter" category, but that's only because I assume you mean sales and not game quality. It does hurt that MGS was delayed (months ago, of course), as well as many others, including Home (need achievements).

Anyway, I am not attacking the Wii's overall lineup but it has been a little thin lately. Hopefully the game quality picks up this fall besides Galaxy (Zack and Wiki was a nice surprise and I think really suits the Wii).

The only problem I have with the 360 lately is I'd rather play most of the games on the PC, but that goes for CoD4 for the PS3 as well. I'm glad The Orange Box is selling well because more people need exposure to the best FPS ever.

Anyway, I agree that all systems have reasons to make people content. EA needs to get its act together, though.

Onimusha12 said:
windbane said:
Onimusha12 said:
Windbane this thread is perfectly legitimate and an valid discussion, but that aside don't think anyone is blind to the rather obvious motives illustrated in your dubiously insistant claims. I know the Wii is bur in the side of many gamers not fond of Nintendo's upset in the gaming world, and who can blame them? But it'll take more than EA's fickle choice in hinder the Wii's success.

This isn't just "pish-poshing" bad news for the sake of defending the Wii either, this is puting into context a gaming genre that means little to most gamers by a publisher which evoke's little more than contempt from an even larger majority.

I don't think it's limited to EA, though. EA is probably the worst example so far, even though they attempted a Wii cash-in with Boogie. EA hasn't exactly made me happy as a PS3 owner either. We'll see what happens next year with both the PS3 and Wii. I have both, so I'm expecting a little catch up so I don't have to get a 360 and can just upgrade my PC for Bioshock. I'd like to see a PC and/or PS3 version of Mass Effect, too, which EA now has control over since they bought Bioware.

True, that is a valid take on the matter, though I think you may be a bit pesemistic on the outlook for the Wii and its third party developers. If anything, Bioware and the other developer recently purchased by EA are more likely to make games for the Wii now. That doesn't garantee they'll be good games, that doesn't garantee EA will turn around it handling of the Wii, but the fact remains, the situation is no worse off than it was before.

If EA is going to handle their business poorly, then they are going to suffer for it, simple as that, the Wii or any other console can't be burdened to worry about developers that aren't living up to their end of the deal.

It just seems that even when there is a great game released that takes advantage of the Wii, it still might not sell (Zack and Wiki).  I hope RE:UC doesn't suck but from all reports it's not going to be great.  Maybe it'll sell well either way, but that would just promote more cash-in attempts.  The only positive for 3rd parties lately is GH3.  I did not expect that to sell as many as the PS2 considering it's a lot cheaper if you alraedy have the guitar.  I am hoping I can get an adaptor that lets me use my old guitar on the PS3 so I can move on from my PS2, but I suspect I'll have to rebuy the bundle.

I am very curious what Bioware will do in the future, though.  Baldur's Gate 1/2+ was easily my favorite PC game besides Starcraft and maybe Diablo 1/2. 

Around the Network
windbane said:

You said publishing games does not make you a good company. Well, you not liking sports game does not make them a bad company. They develop a lot of highly rated games.

I agree that all the systems have their games. I'd say there are several games on the 360 that are overall better than Halo 3 (most games should have replays), but a few of those are also on the PS3. Galaxy is great but when Zack and Wiki is the only other game taking advantage of the Wiimote lately it's hard to be content imo. I'd say the Wii is still more of a backup console, but that's just my opinion.

I do keep hearing that the PS3 has no huge title this fall but I'd put Uncharted in that category, CoD4 just came out, GT5: Prologue is coming out (beta already released in Japan which I plan to download just to stare at in awe), The Orange Box hopefully won't suck. I suppose GT is the only one that fits the "huge hitter" category, but that's only because I assume you mean sales and not game quality. It does hurt that MGS was delayed (months ago, of course), as well as many others, including Home (need achievements).

Anyway, I am not attacking the Wii's overall lineup but it has been a little thin lately. Hopefully the game quality picks up this fall besides Galaxy (Zack and Wiki was a nice surprise and I think really suits the Wii).

The only problem I have with the 360 lately is I'd rather play most of the games on the PC, but that goes for CoD4 for the PS3 as well. I'm glad The Orange Box is selling well because more people need exposure to the best FPS ever.

Anyway, I agree that all systems have reasons to make people content. EA needs to get its act together, though.

You see, when you create a good insightful post like this one that tackles other people's points and makes good ones of its own, it becomes very hard to argue.  

That's a longwinded way of saying I agree with most of that except for the Wii=backup console of course.  The PS3, IMO, looks more like the backup console thus far.  ^_^