By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Screws Wii again

Who cares about EA's sports games? Nintendo's Mario [sport] line of games are much more fun than those could ever be anyway. And Nintendo doesn't force you to upgrade to the next year every year to stay current. :)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
Who cares about EA's sports games? Nintendo's Mario [sport] line of games are much more fun than those could ever be anyway. And Nintendo doesn't force you to upgrade to the next year every year to stay current. :)

QFT, mario sports games are a hell of a lot of fun!

But I admit as a big NFL fan I buy one Madden game per console and then I am done until the next generation.  I refuse to pay for roster upgrades and any of the good features will still be there next generation when I get my next copy.  Thats how I see it anyways, I'm sure some folks love those roster updates though lol =) 

To Each Man, Responsibility

I think EA's tactics will only hurt themselves. For example they take some cash from MS and only advertise Madden for the Xbox 360. This is a rediculous policy.

This is called co-op advertising and is done across many industries. Ever see a Best Buy commercial or print ad that only has Panasonic products, or Canon cameras in? Best Buy bought the ad but it is subsidized by the manufacturer. It is smart business and if Sony wanted to they too could run ads like this.

As for EA, this is a large & successful software company and it is not going to ignore the Wii's success. It simply takes time to create proper IPs that take advantage of the Wii. I anticipate many awesome Wii games being released in fall of 2008.

Rock Band for the Wii? "Absolutely." -- Harmonix CEO

Downloadable content for GH3 on the Wii? "Not initially." I don't see any reason not to bring DLC to the Wii version, especially with WiiWare just around the corner.

Honestly, I barely have enough time to play the games that I do have. I didn't even finish my second run through Metroid Prime 3 on Hyper difficulty because the TF2 beta was released, plus I got Episode 1 which I hadn't played before, then a few weeks later Portal and Episode 2 become available. I bought Guitar Hero 3 for the Wii last night, a few more weeks will bring Mario Galaxy. I have too much free time on my hands but no shortage of gaming fun. You can be surprised all you want that I'm not interested in NHL 08 or Skate -- they really aren't my thing. You can be surprised that I don't mind not getting Rock Band this year, because I wouldn't have bought the $170 "everything pack" anyway, which is the only available SKU for the first few months.

You know, I don't mind if you have strong opinions about EA's support for the Wii. I don't mind if you think that a lack of support from EA will make the platform less attractive to many gamers. But it becomes trollish when you start putting down Wii owners because they "don't like these games." I've been playing video games for the last 20 years, I love all the games I own for my Wii, and there are plenty of others like me. Just because you fail to understand that doesn't make you somehow superior to anyone else, so please cut the elitist crap.

windbane said:

EA publishes a lot of great games.

Publishing good games does not make you a good company.  There are plenty of publishers out there for developers to choose from.

I have zero interest in EA sports titles so the number of EA developed games I actually care about is practically zero as well.

For a list of EA's stuff, look here.

Around the Network

Obviously anyone who actually prefers the PS3's lineup to the Wii's is nothing more than a stupid glassy-eyed graphics snob. See, I can make insulting generalizations, too!

I'm playing Sims 2: Castaway on the Wii and it's a lot of fun, does that count as a good EA game even if it's from the Sims division? I also plan on getting Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

When I saw the topic for this thread I worried a bomb shell might have been dropped, imagine my surprise when I clicked on the link and found this laughable excuse for bad news. Though to be perfectly honest, the fact EA was the publisher in question letting down Nintendo should have been a first clue that nothing of consequence had occured, but even then of all the titles and franchises under their umbrella to fall out of graces with the Wii, sports games? *rolls eyes*

Call me presumptuous, but I'm not sure the kind of gamers who really cared about EA's sports games were terribly big on the Wii to begin with. I'm sure this seemed like a genuine bombshell for the Wii, but to be honest EA is not a publisher worth fighting over or crying over.

What is weird about it is all they have to do it re-release the gamecube version and change the year; their favorite activity over there. It doesn't make any sense.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

gamingdevil said:
It certainly doesn't have only 2 quality games windbane. It has Zack & Wiki (just released), SSBB, SMG, NiGHTS (yes, the previews were very positive), RE:UC, MoH:Heroes 2, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars 2. Just off the top of my head. The PS3 has Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, and...? That's it?

Btw i assume you are talking about exclusives.

I said in the last several months.  That would be Metroid Prime and Zack and Wiki.  And no, I do not mean exclusives because many games will be on PS3 that are not on the Wii.  Funny you mention SSBB because that's been delayed as much as Killzone 2, possibly Unreal Tournament 3, MGS4, etc.  I'd take the PS3 lineup there.  Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted equal the number of great games coming for the Wii this winter.  I'm a big RE fan but come on, UC has been criticized by many.  So has Nights.  *sigh*

Whatever, I have a Wii, too, but I can realize that the PS3 is getting a lot more quality games to play.  If you like the Wii games more, that's fine. 

Words Of Wisdom said:
windbane said:

EA publishes a lot of great games.

Publishing good games does not make you a good company. There are plenty of publishers out there for developers to choose from.

I have zero interest in EA sports titles so the number of EA developed games I actually care about is practically zero as well.

For a list of EA's stuff, look here.

They develop a lot of quality games as well.  This year was actually the best Madden and NHL is quite some time.  They also improved NBA Live but 2K is still better there.  It's important who publishes the game, though, because they do the advertizing.  No Microsoft published game has yet to show up on another console, but I believe they have some DS games lined up so I suppose that will change.

But hey, if you guys are content with getting screwed (I wasn't with the PS3 NCAA), then fine.  I hope you remain happy.  I just see no reason to attack PS3's lineup compared to the Wii.  It's clear the PS3 has more quality games to choose from and that the Wii is getting the shaft.  I am looking forward to the supposed Wii attack of games because every third party changed development priority.  Not many have been announced so far.