By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Screws Wii again

EA has been known for this kind of thing so it's not surprising. They almost went broke trying to support the computer gaming consoles when the NES was redefining the market. EA believed the NES was a fad and an underpowered machine that wasn't suitable for their work. Perhaps history is repeating itself.

I don't go for most sports sims. The last football game I was into was Gridiron on the Mattel handheld. Myself I just go for golf games and I play HSG-OT on my PSP and that's great. I play Toadstool tour every once in awhile. I play Wii Golf when my friends come over and we have a blast! I'm hoping that "We love Golf" or "Swing Away Golf" will be good or barring that there's another hope and a prayer... a new Mario Golf, but that will probably be out in '09. If I tire of HSG-OT before one of the above Wii titles comes out I'll probably give TWii 08 a shot.

Around the Network

This in and of itself doesn't bother me. I think EA's tactics will only hurt themselves. For example they take some cash from MS and only advertise Madden for the Xbox 360. This is a rediculous policy. Maybe they made more money this way but it didn't change one buyers decision on which system to get it since the 360 was the best version by reviews I saw. What it did do is fail to indoctrinate casual owners of the PS3 and Wii to start getting into the franchise. Bad move, because if your game has any redeeming qualities at all they will buy more Madden in the future.

Then last night I heard a radio ad "Enjoy Tiger Woods on your 360, PS3, PS2, and PSP".And people wonder why these games aren't doing well on the Wii but have a little better legs than expected. No advertising.

So yeah we have a company that wont support/advertise their own games without kickbacks, and are notorious for making incremental updates (Sims on PC, all sports series). It makes me angry because games like Wii Madden and Boogie could have been good. I say EA can keep their games until they can start producing them with polish and are willing to support them.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

I'd like to say I'm not surprised at this sort of behaviour from EA, but for once I am... why not support Wii, most of their company executives have been talking about supporting the Wii...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

I don't really play sports games anyways (exept mario strikers which is pretty different)... I mean wouldn't it be more interesting to go outside play the sport insteed of sitting on your rear and pressing buttons?

Gamerace said:
I think EA Sports division doesn't have the resources to properly convert games to another system. Yes they could do crap PS2 ports, but EA actually seems determined to do motion sensing right and not just tacked on.

Perhaps we'll see NHL 08 in the spring like Tiger Woods did in the spring of '07.

At least, that better be the case, or else I'll be pissed.

Madden 08 was basically a PS2 port.

EA is already screwing PS3 owners with their early games this year (the later ones such as FIFA will be at 60fps), so I'm just really curious why they aren't at least porting the PS2 versions to the Wii.  They are releasing Xbox 1 versions, afterall. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
z64dan said:
Am I the only one who is kinda happy that the Wii is not flooded with crappy EA games?

No, count me in too.

Also this way we only get a thread of the sort "game x isn't coming to the Wii" instead of a thread of the sort "game x for the Wii is crap, developer y isn't taking the Wii serious".

NHL 08 is one of the best sports games in years, not just in hockey.  Not getting it would be rather disturbing if I'm a Wii-only fan. 

lolita said:
I don't really play sports games anyways (exept mario strikers which is pretty different)... I mean wouldn't it be more interesting to go outside play the sport insteed of sitting on your rear and pressing buttons?

Yeah, sure, if you have 10+ friends available at all times.  Try doing that every day.  Oh, and some people aren't athletic and enjoy playing the video games more. 

You can't recruit and draft players that are on TV in real life.  I can't recruit for my favorite schools in NCAA and then have them play in my backyard. 

The going outside argument has got to be the worst ever.

Ishy said:
I'd like to say I'm not surprised at this sort of behaviour from EA, but for once I am... why not support Wii, most of their company executives have been talking about supporting the Wii...

Indeed, that's what I don't understand.  Maybe by next year they'll have it figured out, but it doesn't seem they are devoting enough resources for it.  The games that are released look like PS2 games and they aren't even porting them all. 

EA needs to develop unique games for the Wii that DON'T suck. Madden '08 got poor sales because there's HD versions for 360 and PS3, and it had some technical issues...and Boogie, though unique, bombed because it just plain sucks.

SSX Blur did all right because it was a unique Wii exclusive. And that wasn't long after launch...why can't they make more games like that?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I'm kinda mad that NHL 08 didn't come out for the Wii, because hockey games have always been really fun. And no unless you live in Alaska you can't go out in your backyard and play a pick up game of hockey. I played the 08 demo on my 360 and it was really fun but I would def love to see it out on the Wii. Woot Eric Staal GO CANES, yea only true NHL fans will get that one.

Yea and I'm mad about no NCAA on the Wii because I didn't have my 360 when it came out and woulda loved to play it. 

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.