By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why PS3 in US selling bad? Americans Nationalists? Buy American?

Wow. I'll file this thread away under "VG Chartz needs more mods."

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Wow. I'll file this thread away under "VG Chartz needs more mods."

Yes, obviously it's all the mod's fault...

There's a report button for a reason you know.

This thread is heading in the wrong direction. I'm stunned that a discussion about videogames can lead to Pro/Anti America statements. Really now, think about that.

Locked. 

The PS3's problems in US are, I believe, little to do with a buy American attitude towards the 360 - or even the 360 itself directly.

The Wii has caused Sony far more problems than 360. The 360 continued a trend started with Xbox in US (console replacing PC for FPS/shooters/online) while the Wii is eating up the demographics (as well as breaking into new ones) that made the PS2 the monster it was last gen.

The PS3 was priced too high vs the Wii at launch, and it lacked the titles and marketing to make much headway against the 360 initially while failing totally to prevent the explosion of demand that formed around the Wii.

Now its in a position, in the US, where 360 has momentum and a far more extended online community while the Wii has already overtaken both easily and in US so far is the real contender for this gen's dominant console.

I should note I think there isn't going to be a clear cut 1 console destroys all others this gen at all.

Therefore I really, really doubt it's anything to do with 'buy American' as Wii, PS2 and 1 themselves plus many other examples show American's are happy to buy vast amounts of Japanese electronics.

Sony simply made mistakes with price and approach and were later to market (arguably the HD format war impacted PS3 as well in US).

MS paid with RROD in terms of getting to market early. They also paid a lot of marketing / content acquisition cost to drive 360 further than Xbox and hold of PS3 in the 360's demographic. And so far they've succeeded in making 360 a viable console and arguably own the console based online MP crowd in US, while the Wii's dominated the general gaming demographic in US - leaving the PS3 fighting to gain traction in the region.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

joshin69 said:
Kantor
Have you used it..., sod it. Knock it all you want. It works for me, what else matters.

It's not from personal experience, I remember finding a study about this. I'll see if I can find the link.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15907/532/

Whoops. It was four hours. My bad. But more importantly:

"In a typical week of computer play for these participants, active gaming rather than passive gaming would increase total energy expenditure by less than two per cent," says the study set to be published today in the British Medical Journal.

Though the fat burn up is trivial, the report is still encouraging of the whole Wii approach to more active interaction in gaming; "Given the current prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity, such positive behaviours should be encouraged," it says.

"The energy used when playing Wii Sports games was not of high enough intensity to contribute towards the recommended daily amount of exercise in children," say the authors.

2%. Not enough intensity to contribute towards recommended daily exercise. And I hate people throwing around losing weight as a reason to buy the Wii. You have a 3D Mario title, one of the best Zelda games, a Super Smash Bros., a Mario Kart, No More Heroes, and MadWorld, and you want people to buy a Wii to lose weight? I don't game to stay fit, I game because I enjoy gaming. And if somebody doesn't enjoy the games I listed, or Wii Sports, or Wii Fit, they shouldn't get a Wii. I'd rather be overweight and able to play whatever I wanted than be fit and only be able to play Wii Fit.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective