By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega talks sales: Yakuza 3 broke even, 7th Dragon very good, MadWorld meh

Kasz216 said:
outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
Yakuza 3 only broke even huh? That's... disapointing... considering everyone here thought it sold really well.

Very seldom does a HD game break even only with the Japanese sales. That in itself is a surprise.

That means whatever is sold in the West is pure profit!

Yeah... but Yakuza doesn't sell in the west.  So it's break even or nothing.

Also it had the advantage of the Yakuza Engine already existing.

It's more likely that Yakuza 3 will sell another 500K in japan then it is Yakuza 3 will sell 50K in the US.

Looking at both games, I'm not sure if they used the same engine. They look miles apart.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Kasz216 said:
Yojimbo said:

I know that the sales outside japan are bad. But they can still make a little profit and more people like me can enjoy the game :P

Localization is cheap enough to make up in 40,000 sales?

I doubt it when you include manufacturing costs and all sorts of other extras.

I'd get it though.

Assuming it's out when i remember.  Unlike the other two which came out like what.... 2-3 years later?

Consider the fact that most of the retailers around here didn't even carry Yakuza 2, I think it did alright. Only place around here that even sold Yakuza 2 was Gamestop. Also, the game was released late in the PS2 age. With actual advertising, this game could be moderate to huge in other places in the world.

Which... I wouldn't count on.  There is nothing to suggest it won't be treated the same way.

Also... there is no gurantee it that advertising would produce great results... and advertising costs money.

Tbone said:
Torillian said:
Tbone said:
They are happy with the succes of Valkyria chronicles aswell.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20/valkyria-chronicles-sales-jump-in-the-us-tops-charts-in-japan/

I didn't see them saying they were happy with the overall sales, but the sales bump that it recently received.  That isn't to say they aren't happy with the overall sales, but this blog post does not prove one way or another.

A little bit down they are talking about the biggest succes in Japan .

"The biggest success story, however, is in Japan - at a cheaper budget price for their re-heat of the title, it makes me extremely happy to announce that according to the Gamasutra info, Valkyria Chronicles was the highest selling game on amazon - period - in Japan last week, beating out the likes of Resident Evil 5 (Biohazard in Japan) and other blockbusters, and nestling in nicely on the same top 5 list as Yakuza 3, which ranked fifth. (Nice work to our counterparts in Japan!)"

still seems to be talking about the boost and not overall sales to me

outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
Yakuza 3 only broke even huh? That's... disapointing... considering everyone here thought it sold really well.

Very seldom does a HD game break even only with the Japanese sales. That in itself is a surprise.

It's more likely that Yakuza 3 will sell another 500K in japan then it is Yakuza 3 will sell 50K in the US.

Looking at both games, I'm not sure if they used the same engine. They look miles apart.

I disagree.... aside from that... look at Gears 2 and other games made with UE3.

Heck look at the difference between Gears 1 and Gears 2.

With time and expierence games will look better on the same engine.

Also they stated they used the Kenzan engine... so unless that's changed.

From IGN

"The third official entry in the Yakuza franchise (following up on PlayStation 3 after the Edo era prequel Yakuza: Kenzan!) Yakuza 3 continues the storyline following the events of Yakuza 2. The game returns to Kamiyacho, the setting of the original and the primary setting of the sequel, and features Kazuma Kiryu in the main character role once again.

Yakuza 2 added a new location to the game world, a version of Kamiyacho located in the Osaka area. In Yakuza 3, Okinawa has that role. Yakuza 3 also continues with series traditions of making use of famous actors for its voice staff and also tapping into real world brands for in-game signs and shops. The game uses the impressive Yakuza: Kenzan! engine to create a lifelike representation of the hustle and bustle of urban Japan."

Torillian said:
Tbone said:
Torillian said:
Tbone said:
They are happy with the succes of Valkyria chronicles aswell.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20/valkyria-chronicles-sales-jump-in-the-us-tops-charts-in-japan/

I didn't see them saying they were happy with the overall sales, but the sales bump that it recently received.  That isn't to say they aren't happy with the overall sales, but this blog post does not prove one way or another.

A little bit down they are talking about the biggest succes in Japan .

"The biggest success story, however, is in Japan - at a cheaper budget price for their re-heat of the title, it makes me extremely happy to announce that according to the Gamasutra info, Valkyria Chronicles was the highest selling game on amazon - period - in Japan last week, beating out the likes of Resident Evil 5 (Biohazard in Japan) and other blockbusters, and nestling in nicely on the same top 5 list as Yakuza 3, which ranked fifth. (Nice work to our counterparts in Japan!)"

still seems to be talking about the boost and not overall sales to me

Well i said they talked about the succes :) also i noticed there is a thread for it.

Around the Network

Yakuza broke even, but if they released it in NA and EU than it would make money

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

axumblade said:
Kasz216 said:
axumblade said:
Kasz216 said:
Yojimbo said:

I know that the sales outside japan are bad. But they can still make a little profit and more people like me can enjoy the game :P

Localization is cheap enough to make up in 40,000 sales?

I doubt it when you include manufacturing costs and all sorts of other extras.

I'd get it though.

Assuming it's out when i remember.  Unlike the other two which came out like what.... 2-3 years later?

Consider the fact that most of the retailers around here didn't even carry Yakuza 2, I think it did alright. Only place around here that even sold Yakuza 2 was Gamestop. Also, the game was released late in the PS2 age. With actual advertising, this game could be moderate to huge in other places in the world.

Which... I wouldn't count on.  There is nothing to suggest it won't be treated the same way.

Also... there is no gurantee it that advertising would produce great results... and advertising costs money.

Considering the amount of hype surrounding the game over the last 6 months in the US and the way the game has been praised by some as "greater then gta iv" people might have interest in the game at least. Not only that, but I think most people are more concentrating on the HD aspect then anything else. Meaning Ps2 sales wouldn't always be the highest.

How'd hype work for Zack and Wiki?  Or Madworld?  Or Valkira Chronicles?  (SRPG but it's had at least equal buzz.)

Buzz means little in terms of raw numbers.

Kasz216 said:
outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:

I disagree.... aside from that... look at Gears 2 and other games made with UE3.

Heck look at the difference between Gears 1 and Gears 2.

With time and expierence games will look better on the same engine.

Also they stated they used the Kenzan engine... so unless that's changed.

They very well could be using the same engine, I'm just not too sure.

Although, we still haven't had a "The Best" entry for Yakuza 3 and it's still selling well. I'm sure they'll continune to make some nice cash. (The Best for Kenzan! has sold over 50k according to other trackers putting the game over 350k)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Don't want to ruin the party, but breaking even is NOT a success at all. It means they could have put the money they spent making Yakuza 3 on the bank and made more money. That's not how companies work.

yea for yakuza 3, i want a DAMN NA RELEASE still,
and yes MEH for mad world

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane