By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega talks sales: Yakuza 3 broke even, 7th Dragon very good, MadWorld meh

That kind of confirms my suspicions that a PS3 exclusive needs about 400,000 to break even, give or take.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

Most of the HD games made in Japan don't have the huge budget's that there western counterparts have.

There are of course some exceptions like RE5 or MGS4, but you can easily distinguish them from the others.

Sucks about World Destruction and Shining Force Feather...

So Puyo Puyo 7 is their 'big' title? Talk about delusional, that game won't sell 100,000 across the platfroms...

Yojimbo said:
Kasz216 said:
Yojimbo said:
Kasz216 said:
Yakuza 3 only broke even huh? That's... disapointing... considering everyone here thought it sold really well.

Its break even on the sale to date. They can still spend little money translating and shipping to the rest of the world and make profit of it game.

Have you seen the first two games numbers outside of Japan?

The better hope is in the game having legs.

Really it makes you wonder how much they lost on Yakuza Kenzan!

I know that the sales outside japan are bad. But they can still make a little profit and more people like me can enjoy the game :P

Localization is cheap enough to make up in 40,000 sales?

I doubt it when you include manufacturing costs and all sorts of other extras.

I'd get it though.

Assuming it's out when i remember.  Unlike the other two which came out like what.... 2-3 years later?

Tbone said:
They are happy with the succes of Valkyria chronicles aswell.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20/valkyria-chronicles-sales-jump-in-the-us-tops-charts-in-japan/

I didn't see them saying they were happy with the overall sales, but the sales bump that it recently received.  That isn't to say they aren't happy with the overall sales, but this blog post does not prove one way or another.

Around the Network

so they are not even going to release Shining Force and World Destruction here right? that sucks

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Kasz216 said:
Yakuza 3 only broke even huh? That's... disapointing... considering everyone here thought it sold really well.

Very seldom does a HD game break even only with the Japanese sales. That in itself is a surprise.

That means whatever is sold in the West is pure profit!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Kasz216 said:
Yojimbo said:
Kasz216 said:
Yojimbo said:
Kasz216 said:

Its break even on the sale to date. They can still spend little money translating and shipping to the rest of the world and make profit of it game.

Have you seen the first two games numbers outside of Japan?

The better hope is in the game having legs.

Really it makes you wonder how much they lost on Yakuza Kenzan!

I know that the sales outside japan are bad. But they can still make a little profit and more people like me can enjoy the game :P

Localization is cheap enough to make up in 40,000 sales?

I doubt it when you include manufacturing costs and all sorts of other extras.

I'd get it though.

Assuming it's out when i remember.  Unlike the other two which came out like what.... 2-3 years later?

If they want "good" sales they better release the game this year. The other games came out after 2 years and that hurt the sales but there is no guarantee that the sales will be good.

Torillian said:
Tbone said:
They are happy with the succes of Valkyria chronicles aswell.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20/valkyria-chronicles-sales-jump-in-the-us-tops-charts-in-japan/

I didn't see them saying they were happy with the overall sales, but the sales bump that it recently received.  That isn't to say they aren't happy with the overall sales, but this blog post does not prove one way or another.

A little bit down they are talking about the biggest succes in Japan .

outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:

Very seldom does a HD game break even only with the Japanese sales. That in itself is a surprise.

That means whatever is sold in the West is pure profit!

Yeah... but Yakuza doesn't sell in the west.  So it's break even or nothing.

Also it had the advantage of the Yakuza Engine already existing.

It's more likely that Yakuza 3 will sell another 500K in japan then it is Yakuza 3 will sell 50K in the US.