By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 Sales Clarification? SCEA proves "Others" numbers are wrong

SCEA announced that more than 1 million copies of Killzone 2 have been sold.. This proves that the Killzone 2 numbers for "Others" are off... here's my reasoning:

** I've broken out all my points so that they could more easily be argued or questions.. **

A) more than 1 million is not 1.4 million... its between 1.01 to 1.1 million copies. If they sold 1.25 million, then they would of announced 1.25 million, saying otherwise is improbable since PR 101 is to always use the best number available. Just to be cautious will assume that 1.1 million copies have been sold, and Sony had decided to leave out those 100,000 copies in their announcement.

B) If SCEA is talking about shipped/sold to retailers then NDP/VGz are WAY off.. Personally I really really doubt this, I believe SCEA is quoting tracking services.. which leads me to C)

C) NPD U.S. stated that 619,000 copies have been sold - Vgc for the same time frame has 667,750... which align perfectly since VGC includes all of NA. 

D) If we agree that VGC numbers are right on the money for the first 5 weeks for NA, then we can assume that its tracked properly and they're right for all the weeks in NA.

E) As of VGC latest numbers, Killzone 2 sold 710,000 copies in NA, this means that only 390,000 where sold in "Others" for a total of 1.1 million as reported by SCEA (But remember that SCEA actually reported over 1 million sold and not 1.1).

F) The difference between the "Others" numbers and Sony is 310,000 copies, thats 44% off the estimated. A huge discrenpancy!!

Here's my favorite part... If we are to argue that Killzone 2 sold better in "Others" than we would have to assume that both VGC and NPD are wrong with their U.S./NA numbers.. 

*** Can we please leave out the flaming/insults from this thread... I'm a 360 fanboy, I know it, but that doesn't make these numbers and/or statements above wrong***

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Won't change anything , fanboys are blind.

But war... war never changes

938933 Warzone players say hi! :)

this will be fun.

*** Can we please leave out the flaming/insults from this thread... I'm a 360 fanboy, I know it, but that doesn't make these numbers and/or statements above wrong***

There's no need for flaming, but the reason some people will go for your throat is your constant "oh, it's in the disadvantage of the PS3, I'll go for it"-attitude. It's not because it's right or wrong, it's because it's blindly aimed at a single console.

Besides, I'm sure Brett will change his numbers if he believes them to be off indeed.

Around the Network

I wish we got a more concrete number rather than just an over. That would make this much easier.

Or maybe SCEA was saying they shipped 1 million to America. Who knows.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Sony game so of course the numbers are wrong... *sigh*

City17 said:
938933 Warzone players say hi! :)

There are multiple accounts per PS3/copy of game...not to mention rentals. That proves nothing.

Why don't videogames keep open doors on sales like box office movies? It would be nice to know the exact sales for each game,...even if it bombs or is a hit.

I'm not sure what Sony are talking about, because the 900k who have played online seem to disagree, and the fact that we got reports of 1.1m retail pre-orders in others, and I haven't seen massive discounts to clear stock that we would be seeing if it had only sold under 400k.... frankly I am quite confused, and I am sure ioi knows more than we do, and an explanation would be right

outlawauron said:
Or maybe SCEA was saying they shipped 1 million to America. Who knows.

SCEA

Sorry, I couldn't resist.