By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

"we've come for your daughter Chuck" favorite line

Around the Network

Beetlejuice was great...but did you know that if that had been made today there would be like 3 sequels. Back in the day they didn't make sequels (I'm being facetious), they made Saturday morning cartoons instead. Anyone watch the cartoon?

Ah, Beetlejuice.

vizunary said:
ohh, and Serenity has become one of my new absolute favorites,

You know, I owe a big debt to Serenity.

Over the last few years, I'd become quite cynical about movies. I saw big blockbuster after big blockbuster and was always dissapointed. Major action seens seemed more like ADD inspired headaches than something to behold.

I thought the Starwars prequels were wretched films... I'd begun to think that maybe I'd just grown out of that kind of movie all together. Maybe Nostalgia was the only reason I enjoyed older big budget movies more I thought to myself. Maybe there's no hope for me and I should just give up on megaplex fare all together.

Then came Serenity; one of the funniest, most engaging and well put together sci fi films in the last 20 years. And I realized that it wasn't me. I wasn't broken or jaded or unable to recognize greatness. No, it wasn't me, it was the crappy, crappy films that everybody else was making. Thanks Josh Whedon, you restored my faith in me.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

So does that mean that the firefly season is good? I saw it for $20 but I also saw that it was the only season they made.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
So does that mean that the firefly season is good? I saw it for $20 but I also saw that it was the only season they made.

If you liked Serenity, do yourself a favor and get the season. Yes, sadly, it was only one season. Fox screwed it up royally. They didn't even air it in the correct order

That goes for all of you. If you saw Serenity and liked it, dare I say even loved it, like me, get the season set on DVD. It is well worth the purchase price. 

Agree with previous poster, Firefly is a great show and there should be no doubt about aquiring it if you enjoyed Serenity.  Props to everyone who listed Slither that movie delivers the camp perfectly.  Anyone like extreme Asian Horror?  If you can stomach disembowlments, decapitaions and hundreds of gallons of blood the masterpiece called Ichi the Killer delivers the goods (keep an eye out for the guy hung on hooks who gets boiling oil poured over him just for kicks (one of my personal faves). 

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 3 (Wii), Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA), Guitar Hero II (PS2). 

On Deck: Golden Sun (GBA), Neutopia (VC)

"...better to be thought a fool, then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

super_etecoon said:

I liked the season of Firefly better than Serenity.  It's too bad the series didn't continue for another 3-4 seasons because it probably would have found a much larger audience by word of mouth.  I think one of the problems it had besides the big ones of Fox screwing up the show royally by showing them out of order and changing the timeslot around was that the Western (as in Wild West) like feeling to the show may have turned away younger people not used to Westerns (and because of that not giving the show even a chance) and the sci-fi element turning off some of the people who would have been attracted to the Western feeling of the show.

Anyone else think Firefly ows a lot to Cowboy Bebop?

Fox has a tendancy of screwing up any good show they get. Firefly, Arrested Development, Drive, ect.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

The story of how Fox murdered Firefly is a sad one.

Fox came to Josh Whedon for a show, and he wrote the 2 hour pilot for Serenity. The pilot was a brilliant show that did a great job of introducing the characters and the universe they inhabit. But in a show of stupifying... stupidity, they decided that the pilot didn't have enough action in it.

So Josh made a comprimise, he wrote the second episode and made it both more action oriented. Titled "The Train Job", it was by far the most "space western" of the series. Dumbing things down a bit worked perfectly, and Fox took the show. But here's where the tradgedy starts. Fox didn't air the Pilot episode first. They aired The Train Job first, putting many viewers off with the space western concept, and confusing them at the same time because the first episode didn't actually introduce the characters.

After that, they aired the pilot in 2 segments, so the characters met and were introduced in the second episode, not the first.

Subsequently, they bumped the show out of it's timeslot numerous times for sports events, and then canned it after 11 episodes, despite 14 being filmed. Yup. Fox is stupid. Stupidly stupid...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.