By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Press Conf. in Japan next Week!

BTFeather55 said:
Rei said:
BTFeather55 said:
Shadowblind said:

March 2008 Microsoft held a conference in Japan to announce Last Remnent, Infinite Undiscovery, and Star Ocean 4 though none of them turned out to be worth the hype (at least their 360's versions didn't as far as sales and review scores go).

The conference was in June. And announced games were Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4. Both of which got good review scores and overall reception. IU was announced long before this conference.

IGN gave the Tales games and Star Ocean games on PS1 and PS2 (and Symphonia on Gamecube)  much higher review scores than they gave Vesperia and Star Ocean 360, and I think other critics did so as well.  Also neither Star Ocean 360 or the Tales games seem to have sold as well as Symphonia or past Tales and Star Ocean games on Playstation systems.

You said 'reviews', and not just IGN. Make it clear next time that you are talking solely about IGN. Because overall reception of SO4 and ToV was good. And actually, even IGN praised both games in its reviews.

Around the Network
Rei said:
BTFeather55 said:
Rei said:
BTFeather55 said:
Shadowblind said:

March 2008 Microsoft held a conference in Japan to announce Last Remnent, Infinite Undiscovery, and Star Ocean 4 though none of them turned out to be worth the hype (at least their 360's versions didn't as far as sales and review scores go).

The conference was in June. And announced games were Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4. Both of which got good review scores and overall reception. IU was announced long before this conference.

IGN gave the Tales games and Star Ocean games on PS1 and PS2 (and Symphonia on Gamecube)  much higher review scores than they gave Vesperia and Star Ocean 360, and I think other critics did so as well.  Also neither Star Ocean 360 or the Tales games seem to have sold as well as Symphonia or past Tales and Star Ocean games on Playstation systems.

You said 'reviews', and not just IGN. Make it clear next time that you are talking solely about IGN. Because overall reception of SO4 and ToV was good. And actually, even IGN praised both games in its reviews.

As outlined above, I was talking about sales (the 360 versions of Tales and Star Ocean haven't sold as well as PS1, PS2, or Gamecube versions), and they haven't reviewed as highly at either IGN or Metacritic.

None of these released rpgs have come anywhere near the typical sales of Final Fantasies or the typical review scores for Final Fantasies either.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
Rei said:
BTFeather55 said:
Rei said:
BTFeather55 said:
Shadowblind said:

As outlined above, I was talking about sales (the 360 versions of Tales and Star Ocean haven't sold as well as PS1, PS2, or Gamecube versions), and they haven't reviewed as highly at either IGN or Metacritic.

None of these released rpgs have come anywhere near the typical sales of Final Fantasies or the typical review scores for Final Fantasies either.

Who gives a rats about metacritic it's jsut somethign to help you out when determining purchases but ultimately it should always come down to how much you want it and how much you end up liking it not some reviewers opinion. You make it sound like ign's got the best reviews i've seen plenty of terrible reviews there the same goes for gamespot, teamxbox, gameinformer etc.

However I don't jump to conclusions and say "well ign gave it a lower score than past games in series therefore it's bad". Have you played Star Ocean 4 or Tales of Vesperia? I doubt you have to be honest? I hated Star Ocean 3 on PS2 but Star Ocean 4 is now my favorite JRPG this gen followed closely by Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant. Those 4 games all have their flaws but I love the story and they have fun gameplay IMO. Either way this discussions over! Get out Sony Fanboy Nearly every post of yours in here has been nothing but trolling. Next time play a game before dissing it no matter what system it's on.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

LordMatrix said:
BTFeather55 said:
Rei said:
BTFeather55 said:
Rei said:
BTFeather55 said:
Shadowblind said:

Who gives a rats about metacritic it's jsut somethign to help you out when determining purchases but ultimately it should always come down to how much you want it and how much you end up liking it not some reviewers opinion. You make it sound like ign's got the best reviews i've seen plenty of terrible reviews there the same goes for gamespot, teamxbox, gameinformer etc.

However I don't jump to conclusions and say "well ign gave it a lower score than past games in series therefore it's bad". Have you played Star Ocean 4 or Tales of Vesperia? I doubt you have to be honest? I hated Star Ocean 3 on PS2 but Star Ocean 4 is now my favorite JRPG this gen followed closely by Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant. Those 4 games all have their flaws but I love the story and they have fun gameplay IMO. Either way this discussions over! Get out Sony Fanboy Nearly every post of yours in here has been nothing but trolling. Next time play a game before dissing it no matter what system it's on.

See there you go throwing insults, however, if these rpgs had had review scores closer to review scores for most rpgs on Playstation consoles during the past ten years, or if the 360 had an install base more suited to jrpgs like past Playstation consoles instead of fps games then they would have generated much higher sales.

And that is something that the makers of jrpgs have to consider when deciding which console to put their games on.  White Knight Chronicles has shown that it can sell almost as well in just one region as many of the 360's do in 3.  And naturally, if the PS3's install base continues to outpace the 360's by a growth of 3x (2.99 at the current rate) or more as it has been doing so far this gen, then it is in jrpg developers interest to choose to put their games on a console where they will sell.

If Star Ocean IV cost two times as much money to make as 3 but failed to generate 1/4 of the sales, what does that tell you?

Heavens to Murgatoids.

there you go assuming majority of rpg fans have ps3 as their system of choice. who says they do? like i've said before until wkc or another jrpg that isn't timed or multi comes out in the west we have nothing to really go on now do we? As you can see though there are plenty of people into jrpg game on 360 as well.

Sales may not be huge but they never were really. Now look at Lost Odyssey it has sold awesome in the west and Last Remnant has done well so has Blue Dragon. Might I add those are all new IP. I am holding judgment somewhat on Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean 4 saleswise simply because I want to see how they do in Europe this summer before jumping to any conclusion on those 2.

Now you started pointing out that star ocean till end of time did tones better saleswise than star ocean the last hope. You know there's a perfectly reasonable/logical explanation on this one. For one PS2 was known for jrpg games and it came out when the system had a very large install base worldwide. The 360 Star Ocean game did not have that pleasure of a 80-100 million userbase. It's slowly becoming more recognized for games like jrpg and wrpg etc. So all in all that comparison is terrible. There was a higher probability of huge sales on the PS2 game for multiple reasons. But it has nothing to do with whether or not jrpg games can sell or not on 360 either.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Around the Network
LordMatrix said:

there you go assuming majority of rpg fans have ps3 as their system of choice. who says they do? like i've said before until wkc or another jrpg that isn't timed or multi comes out in the west we have nothing to really go on now do we? As you can see though there are plenty of people into jrpg game on 360 as well.

Sales may not be huge but they never were really. Now look at Lost Odyssey it has sold awesome in the west and Last Remnant has done well so has Blue Dragon. Might I add those are all new IP. I am holding judgment somewhat on Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean 4 saleswise simply because I want to see how they do in Europe this summer before jumping to any conclusion on those 2.

Now you started pointing out that star ocean till end of time did tones better saleswise than star ocean the last hope. You know there's a perfectly reasonable/logical explanation on this one. For one PS2 was known for jrpg games and it came out when the system had a very large install base worldwide. The 360 Star Ocean game did not have that pleasure of a 80-100 million userbase. It's slowly becoming more recognized for games like jrpg and wrpg etc. So all in all that comparison is terrible. There was a higher probability of huge sales on the PS2 game for multiple reasons. But it has nothing to do with whether or not jrpg games can sell or not on 360 either.

Well, we have the fact that a new jrpg ip  that received a very average review score in Famitsu (it didn't receive much better review scores than most of the 360 jrpgs) has outsold all of the 360 jrpgs released in Japan by significant amounts (including ones that are in established franchises that even received better review scores in Famitsu), and that in just one rather small region this game (WKC)'s numbers are not too far off from what 360  jrpgs did in one or two regions and are actually higher than some that released in multiple regions).

If released in the West, White Knight Chronicles will probably be the first jrpg of this gen to come close to the million mark (much closer than Lost Odyssey was able to) because most of the 20 million PS3s that have been bought were purchased by fans of Final Fantasy instead of Halo.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
LordMatrix said:

Well, we have the fact that a new jrpg ip  that received a very average review score in Famitsu (it didn't receive much better review scores than most of the 360 jrpgs) has outsold all of the 360 jrpgs released in Japan by significant amounts (including ones that are in established franchises that even received better review scores in Famitsu), and that in just one rather small region this game (WKC)'s numbers are not too far off from what 360  jrpgs did in one or two regions and are actually higher than some that released in multiple regions).

If released in the West, White Knight Chronicles will probably be the first jrpg of this gen to come close to the million mark (much closer than Lost Odyssey was able to) because most of the 20 million PS3s that have been bought were purchased by fans of Final Fantasy instead of Halo.

Ok well how about the fact that WKC was only able to muster up 150 thousand more in sales than Blue Dragon in Japan.  In spite of having 3 million user base instead of 1 million. Need I mention how large the actual user base was for Xbox 360 when Blue Dragon launched? Around 1/3 of all japanese 360 owners owned the game around the time it was launched. If WKC did that it would have sales of around 1 million already.

I won't deny that it did well but you do have to look at that as well as the total sales. I don't even know why I'm trying to reason with you here. You obviously have your head stuck way up sony's ***. In the end I will be the one enjoying all JRPG's I'm interested in Wii/360/PS3 combined whiled you will be stuck with whatver Sony gets. Face it Sony is not and will not be JRPG king this generation. It will probably end up being almost neck and neck with 360 on the JRPG front in the end with Wii trailing behind some.

BTW why are you even trolling in here if a thread interest you add to it don't be bringing the 360 hate with it. You don't see me doing that at all in Sony or Wii threads.

Anyways back on the actual topic: I am hearing that this is supposed to be like last years where its mostly rpg games being shown this excites me greatly I'm digging the genre a ton this gen so keep em coming! How about some kind of new game from Square-Enix? Atlus bring on a Shin Megami Tensei please? :D Famitsu360 has mentioned in their latest issue at least 2-3 more games are still to be shown this month. Could Sega or Namco Bandai have something cool planned? Perhaps Microsoft decides to revive Cry-On and become it's Publisher?

Lord Matrix said:

Anyways back on the actual topic: I am hearing that this is supposed to be like last years where its mostly rpg games being shown this excites me greatly I'm digging the genre a ton this gen so keep em coming! How about some kind of new game from Square-Enix? Atlus bring on a Shin Megami Tensei please? :D

Really? I'd hate to get my hopes up that it's going to be anything at all. But if there is something from Square, let it be Front Mission Evolved!

LordMatrix said:
BTFeather55 said:
LordMatrix said:

Ok well how about the fact that WKC was only able to muster up 150 thousand more in sales than Blue Dragon in Japan.  In spite of having 3 million user base instead of 1 million. Need I mention how large the actual user base was for Xbox 360 when Blue Dragon launched? Around 1/3 of all japanese 360 owners owned the game around the time it was launched. If WKC did that it would have sales of around 1 million already.

I won't deny that it did well but you do have to look at that as well as the total sales. I don't even know why I'm trying to reason with you here. You obviously have your head stuck way up sony's ***. In the end I will be the one enjoying all JRPG's I'm interested in Wii/360/PS3 combined whiled you will be stuck with whatver Sony gets. Face it Sony is not and will not be JRPG king this generation. It will probably end up being almost neck and neck with 360 on the JRPG front in the end with Wii trailing behind some.

BTW why are you even trolling in here if a thread interest you add to it don't be bringing the 360 hate with it. You don't see me doing that at all in Sony or Wii threads.

Anyways back on the actual topic: I am hearing that this is supposed to be like last years where its mostly rpg games being shown this excites me greatly I'm digging the genre a ton this gen so keep em coming! How about some kind of new game from Square-Enix? Atlus bring on a Shin Megami Tensei please? :D Famitsu360 has mentioned in their latest issue at least 2-3 more games are still to be shown this month. Could Sega or Namco Bandai have something cool planned? Perhaps Microsoft decides to revive Cry-On and become it's Publisher?

150,000 is a huge difference in Japan.  The reason Blue Dragon did so well was because Japanese gamers that owned the system really didn't have any other games to play on it.

The JRPG king of this generation will end up being either the Wii or the PS3 depending upon which one gets Kingdom Hearts III.  The difference between the PS3 and 360 will be much greater in Japan after the two Final Fantasies and Gran Turismo 5 are launched (PS3 will probably have 7 million consoles sold in Japan by August 2010 to less than 1.5 million for the 360)  prompting most Japanese developers that want to make the types of jrpgs that have the best graphics to make them exclusively for PS3.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's install base and DQX will pretty much guarantee the same level of success in the jrpg realm for the Wii as well.

Microsoft really needs to moneyhat something special to offset the dire prediction that I've made for them there if they want to have any hope in remaining viable in the Japanese market with two exclusive FFs and more great games headed the PS3's way there.  Magna Carta is no FF.

I'm not delivery a hateful diatribe against the 360 here.  I'm just looking objectively at the way Japan is trending and looks to be trending with the known upcoming games.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

I highly doubt it will go up 4 million in sales in about a year not happening. I was talking about jrpg games worldwide not which system will have the most in japan along. So far most of PS3's jrpg have already came out on 360 it's only real advantage is final fantasy 13 exclusive to japan which need i remind you is huge in the west more. Dragon Quest 10 will likely be the best selling jrpg this gen in japan. I'm tired and don't feel like bickering you anymore if you want to continue than lets do that one on one instead of derailing what was a good thread till you came into it.