By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 in a Death Spiral?

TheTruthProphet said:
agardini51 said:
How can it be in a death spiral when it is still selling as much as it is? I think the main part of them not selling as well is that they do not advertise at all. Well actually I haven't actually seen a videogame related commercial for like 3 or so months. I still think it is amazing that the most expensive console is selling decently in this recession we are in. I think that it definitely not in a death spiral and can be pulled around to selling better.

sales DO NOT equal profit.

The original xbox sold okay but they pulled it beause it wasn't profitable

The ps3 has cost sony over 3 billion $$ and wasted all the ps2 profits.

Sony has NEVER MADE $$$ on the ps3.

Bad financial planning

I did not know that we were talking about profits as opposed to how it was selling. And by now they should be making some money if not breaking even on every one sold. They also make money off of software sales and peripherals. And hasn't the gaming division been profitable lately?

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

Around the Network
agardini51 said:
TheTruthProphet said:
agardini51 said:
How can it be in a death spiral when it is still selling as much as it is? I think the main part of them not selling as well is that they do not advertise at all. Well actually I haven't actually seen a videogame related commercial for like 3 or so months. I still think it is amazing that the most expensive console is selling decently in this recession we are in. I think that it definitely not in a death spiral and can be pulled around to selling better.

sales DO NOT equal profit.

The original xbox sold okay but they pulled it beause it wasn't profitable

The ps3 has cost sony over 3 billion $$ and wasted all the ps2 profits.

Sony has NEVER MADE $$$ on the ps3.

Bad financial planning

I did not know that we were talking about profits as opposed to how it was selling. And by now they should be making some money if not breaking even on every one sold. They also make money off of software sales and peripherals. And hasn't the gaming division been profitable lately?

sony's game division barely made any money last quarter (4 million  $$) during the busiest shopping season of the year --- not good!!

The quarter before that they lost 379 MILLION $$.  Which means NO THE PS3 IS NOT MAKING A PROFIT AND HAS NOT MADE A PROFIT- no matter how many software sales they had.

The ps2 and psp make $$ , BUT that BARELY covers all the ps3 losses

SOURCE - http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/11/03/sony-reports-playstation-379-loss-in-q2-2008-but-ps3-sales-up-to-nearly-17-million.htm

Ah another idiot analysist who belives USA is only country in the world :D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

its just getting warmed up

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Magic Monkey said:
its just getting warmed up

Well said my friend!  Well said!