By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Business Insider: GTA Chinatown Wars bellyflops (88,704 sold in US)

theRepublic said:
I will be very interested to see what this game does next month.

We need to see where it stabalizes.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Mad world sold 66,000 in March according to NPD

mM
Garcian Smith said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
so it sold just 0.09 but VGC says that it sold 0.2, too bad

this is awful sales for a GTA game, i guess it was too late to release a Ds version

Gold star for reading the thread before posting, bro.

LoL, you are so true!

i realized it's just for the 2 first weeKs, in March, so what's all the crying about!?

88k in 2 weeks is not thaaaaat bad, it will have legs - it already has!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Garcian Smith said:

Ah, I see analysts are still stuck on the "summer blockbuster" model of video game sales, after having been proved repeatedly wrong with DS and Wii releases that sold well for months or even years after a lackluster debut. How... quaint.

That is the problem. If it doesn't open huge, it's magically a flop. And pretending GTA guarantees big openings ignores the fact that only a small handful actually had big openings.

BTW, Vice City Stories sold only 88k in the US in its first two weeks. Using a whole month is off, since the 88k for Chinatown Wars only covers two weeks.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Garcian Smith said:

Ah, I see analysts are still stuck on the "summer blockbuster" model of video game sales, after having been proved repeatedly wrong with DS and Wii releases that sold well for months or even years after a lackluster debut. How... quaint.

That is the problem. If it doesn't open huge, it's magically a flop. And pretending GTA guarantees big openings ignores the fact that only a small handful actually had big openings.

BTW, Vice City Stories sold only 88k in the US in its first two weeks. Using a whole month is off, since the 88k for Chinatown Wars only covers two weeks.

Although, every GTA that was launched on a large userbase since GTA3 has had a huge opening.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Garcian Smith said:

Although, every GTA that was launched on a large userbase since GTA3 has had a huge opening.

Those were also userbases that were very familar with the GTA IP.  GTA is brand new to the DS.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Garcian Smith said:

Those were also userbases that were very familar with the GTA IP.  GTA is brand new to the DS.

DS owners have no internet or TV ?

Maybe they haven't played a GTA game in the past, but the GTA brand is fairly strong outside of the gaming circles thanks to all the controversy that has surrounded it the last few years...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Did people suddenly forget how NPD works? Why are people comparing March NPD numbers with VGC numbers that were last updated on April 11th? That means only the first two recorded weeks are relevant here, and for America those add up to just under 110k, which is fairly close to this number when considering factors like the U.S. not being the only country in the America region. Rockstar's comment on their confidence in long term sales may come from the lack of significant drop-off in weekly sales, which they probably notice through the weekly shipments retailers ask for.

I think the current VGC numbers point towards a long-term success, and these NPD numbers are not too far off from VGC numbers for that time period. I honestly don't understand the reactions in this thread....

theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Garcian Smith said:

With 100 million DS owners and it considered by many to have the best games this generation, you don't there is any overlap?

Sony fans are having so much fun with this.