By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Business Insider: GTA Chinatown Wars bellyflops (88,704 sold in US)

outlawauron said:
theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Garcian Smith said:

Ah, I see analysts are still stuck on the "summer blockbuster" model of video game sales, after having been proved repeatedly wrong with DS and Wii releases that sold well for months or even years after a lackluster debut. How... quaint.

That is the problem. If it doesn't open huge, it's magically a flop. And pretending GTA guarantees big openings ignores the fact that only a small handful actually had big openings.

BTW, Vice City Stories sold only 88k in the US in its first two weeks. Using a whole month is off, since the 88k for Chinatown Wars only covers two weeks.

Although, every GTA that was launched on a large userbase since GTA3 has had a huge opening.

Those were also userbases that were very familar with the GTA IP.  GTA is brand new to the DS.

With 100 million DS owners and it considered by many to have the best games this generation, you don't there is any overlap?

Even if there was, this isn't the GTA style they are used to. Some might have assumed the game itself was reduced, due to the top down veiw.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Garcian Smith said:

Ah, I see analysts are still stuck on the "summer blockbuster" model of video game sales, after having been proved repeatedly wrong with DS and Wii releases that sold well for months or even years after a lackluster debut. How... quaint.

That is the problem. If it doesn't open huge, it's magically a flop. And pretending GTA guarantees big openings ignores the fact that only a small handful actually had big openings.

BTW, Vice City Stories sold only 88k in the US in its first two weeks. Using a whole month is off, since the 88k for Chinatown Wars only covers two weeks.

Although, every GTA that was launched on a large userbase since GTA3 has had a huge opening.

Those were also userbases that were very familar with the GTA IP.  GTA is brand new to the DS.

With 100 million DS owners and it considered by many to have the best games this generation, you don't there is any overlap?

Even if there was, this isn't the GTA style they are used to. Some might have assumed the game itself was reduced, due to the top down veiw.

Maybe, I don't really know. I don't like GTA and I didn't play this one. (Or GTA4 for that matter)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

theRepublic said:

PSP was familiar with GTA when LCS released? Why?

GBC had Grand Theft Auto.

GBC had Grand Theft Auto 2.

GBA had Grand Theft Auto.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
theRepublic said:

PSP was familiar with GTA when LCS released? Why?

GBC had Grand Theft Auto.

GBC had Grand Theft Auto 2.

GBA had Grand Theft Auto.

DS had Grand Theft Auto Modded to be 2.5D and slapped Chinatown wars on it.

In reality like I said before alot of younger people will not appreciate this GTA game because it isn't cool 3D gfx 3rd person view.

I have multiple mature titles on the DS: Brain Age, Professor Layton, Civilization, Puzzle Quest and Galactrix. Not sure if people should interpret Chinatown Wars as mature games not having a market on the DS.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
I have multiple mature titles on the DS: Brain Age, Professor Layton, Civilization, Puzzle Quest and Galactrix. Not sure if people should interpret Chinatown Wars as mature games not having a market on the DS.

I think they are talking mature as in bloody, adult language, etc.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Goddbless said:
Pyramid Head said:
SlipperyMooseCakes said:
Would anyone else like to see this game released on Xbox Live? They really should do some stuff like that.

id love it if they did some stuff like that, but the touch screens , , ,

I don't even want this game on XBL, I would rather GTA 2. If I wanted this game I would buy it since I have a DS.

Well then why not want GTA 2 and CTW. Not all of us have a DS so that is the reason why we wouldn't mind seeing it on XBL wether it is going to happen or not.

i still believe this game will have big sales, sometime

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Any bets that Chinatown Wars sales for April (US) will be up significantly? Easter + DSi launch.

Its a great game (playing it now) probably best non-Nintendo game on the platform.

Going to take 12 months to really establish how well it sells - and some marketing(!) might help as well. All the other GTA games got huge marketing budgets...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

These are the same guys that said the Wii is Fool's Gold for 3rd-parties 5 days ago.

I won't believe anything until I see undisputable proof.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."