By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EEDAR: GTA Chinatown Wars performance proves mature DS games "risky"

LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Of course they aren't, but isn't that what most use in favor of the DS getting game announcements over the PSP and others?"

No, not really. A lot of us use budget, same as with the Wii.

I understand. I'm not trying to argue whether the should on whatever platform, etc. It just needs to warrant another iteration based on sales. Passing the other portable GTAs is a modest benchmark, imo.

Of course, and with sales being faster than VCS, it looks very likely.

It'll be interesting to see where Chinatown Wars plateaus. VCS is still selling ~5k a week and LCS is selling ~8-10k.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Of course they aren't, but isn't that what most use in favor of the DS getting game announcements over the PSP and others?"

I understand. I'm not trying to argue whether the should on whatever platform, etc. It just needs to warrant another iteration based on sales. Passing the other portable GTAs is a modest benchmark, imo.

It'll be interesting to see where VCS plateaus. VCS is still selling ~5k a week and LCS is selling ~8-10k.

You can't use head starts like that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

It'll be interesting to see where VCS plateaus. VCS is still selling ~5k a week and LCS is selling ~8-10k.

Blast. I meant where Chinatown Wars plateaus. If its higher than it'll be very interesting. I think it should settle around ~20k.

@ Soriku

But GTA is something that is bigger than platforms. And the DS userbase is supposed to be so diverse as well. Surely some of those 33 million DS owners want a good GTA?

Soriku said:
@outlaw

How many GTAs were on Nintendo platforms before though? 0. So the initial fanbase is really unknown yet will still sell millions.

Actually 1 for the GBA

http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/621/621241.html

alfredofroylan said:
Soriku said:
@outlaw

How many GTAs were on Nintendo platforms before though? 0. So the initial fanbase is really unknown yet will still sell millions.

Actually 1 for the GBA

http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/621/621241.html

I also own the original on Gameboy Colour.

And once again people - when you are comparing VCS on the charts, it doesn't include any Other data. There is only a solid number added for that region, the game never actually made it into the weekly charts, so it won't be in any graphs.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Blast. I meant where Chinatown Wars plateaus. If its higher than it'll be very interesting. I think it should settle around ~20k.

@ Soriku

But GTA is something that is bigger than platforms. And the DS userbase is supposed to be so diverse as well. Surely some of those 33 million DS owners want a good GTA?

Hey, I've made typos and gaffes before. As to the corrected version, I will be waiting for that as well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Samus Aran said:
Vice city stories on psp sold worse then gta: chinatown wars. Why doesn't anyone complain about that?
Stop blaiming Nintendo for everything! What's next? Nintendo caused WW1 and2?

No way!  If Nintendo did causes WWI and WWII, then the film footage from the war would look like Advanced War.

Samus Aran said:
Vice city stories on psp sold worse then gta: chinatown wars. Why doesn't anyone complain about that?
Stop blaiming Nintendo for everything! What's next? Nintendo caused WW1 and2?

But it hasn't. We can only compare the American sales because we don't have any European data.

Speaking of comparing American data, here's the comparison between handheld GTAs I posted before using Americas sales only:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Chinatown+Wars+-+DS&reg2=America&game2=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Vice+City+Stories+-+PSP&reg3=America&game3=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Liberty+City+Stories+-+PSP&weeks=100

Chinatown is still splitting the difference between VC Stories and LC Stories. If this trend holds, I don't think Take 2 will have anything to complain about.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
Speaking of comparing American data, here's the comparison between handheld GTAs I posted before using Americas sales only:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Chinatown+Wars+-+DS&reg2=America&game2=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Vice+City+Stories+-+PSP&reg3=America&game3=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Liberty+City+Stories+-+PSP&weeks=100

Chinatown is still splitting the difference between VC Stories and LC Stories. If this trend holds, I don't think Take 2 will have anything to complain about.

Especially since it likely didn't cots anywhere near as much.