By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EEDAR: GTA Chinatown Wars performance proves mature DS games "risky"

Kenology said:

^ @ outlaw:

Sure GTA sells amazing on the PSP but it's one of the few games that actually posts those types of numbers whereas the DS has plenty more.

Don't start cherry picking... If I wanted to make a case that PSP software doesn't sell and you wanted to make a case for the opposite, all you'd pnly have is GTA, Monster Hunter, and perhaps a few other games to make your case.  I'd have far more ammo than you would, so please don't go there!

So yeah, the DS doesn't dominate the PSP when it comes to GTA sales, but in general, it most certainly does.

Even still, Chinatown Wars is tracking much higher than the second PSP game (Liberty City Stories) thus far - so we'll see.

Liberty City Stories was the first PSP GTA and launched with only 2.4 million PSPs. (October 29th, 2005)

Chinatown Wars launched on 33 million DSs.

It has everything going for it. I just think its humorous that it won't outsell the PSP GTAs that launched years ago.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I did'nt know 200,000 in a month was bad. I'm sure take-two expected this game to sell a couple of million its first month. I swear analysts don't know shit!

Wichdog69

outlawauron said:
Kenology said:

^ @ outlaw:

Sure GTA sells amazing on the PSP but it's one of the few games that actually posts those types of numbers whereas the DS has plenty more.

Don't start cherry picking... If I wanted to make a case that PSP software doesn't sell and you wanted to make a case for the opposite, all you'd pnly have is GTA, Monster Hunter, and perhaps a few other games to make your case.  I'd have far more ammo than you would, so please don't go there!

So yeah, the DS doesn't dominate the PSP when it comes to GTA sales, but in general, it most certainly does.

Even still, Chinatown Wars is tracking much higher than the second PSP game (Liberty City Stories) thus far - so we'll see.

Liberty City Stories was the first PSP GTA and launched with only 2.4 million PSPs. (October 29th, 2005)

It has everything going for it. I just think its humorous that it won't outsell the PSP GTAs that launched years ago.

If Chinatown Wars slgihtly outsells Liberty City Stories, you can bring up the same point and say it fails as well because of the big difference of install base. Either way Chinatown Wars is screwed.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

The Sales figures haven't dropped off much from week 2 to 3 which would suggest that the title will have some legs, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Plus it'll likely sell a bunch at Christmas. This analysis will be a lot easier to do come next spring.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

saicho said:
outlawauron said:
Kenology said:

^ @ outlaw:

If Chinatown Wars slgihtly outsells Liberty City Stories, you can bring up the same point and say it fails as well because of the big difference of install base. Either way Chinatown Wars is screwed.

No it isn't. If it outsells LCS, then it wouldn't come under the criticism of doing worse than the GTA PSP games. If it does, then it would have warranted putting the game on the DS.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
saicho said:
outlawauron said:
Kenology said:

^ @ outlaw:

No it isn't. If it outsells LCS, then it wouldn't come under the criticism of doing worse than the GTA PSP games. If it does, then it would have warranted putting the game on the DS.

That still doesn't justify using install base, as though all game sales are magically attached to that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
outlawauron said:
saicho said:
outlawauron said:
Kenology said:

^ @ outlaw:

That still doesn't justify using install base, as though all game sales are magically attached to that.

Of course they aren't, but isn't that what most use in favor of the DS getting game announcements over the PSP and others?

"Of course they aren't, but isn't that what most use in favor of the DS getting game announcements over the PSP and others?"

No, not really. A lot of us use budget, same as with the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Of course they aren't, but isn't that what most use in favor of the DS getting game announcements over the PSP and others?"

I understand. I'm not trying to argue whether the should on whatever platform, etc. It just needs to warrant another iteration based on sales. Passing the other portable GTAs is a modest benchmark, imo.

outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I understand. I'm not trying to argue whether the should on whatever platform, etc. It just needs to warrant another iteration based on sales. Passing the other portable GTAs is a modest benchmark, imo.

Of course, and with sales being faster than VCS, it looks very likely.