By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EEDAR: GTA Chinatown Wars performance proves mature DS games "risky"

wait for npd.

Around the Network

Think I'm gonna get this game. Is it really as good as people are hyping it up to be? *gets back to beating Price of Persia so he can trade it in*

KylieDog said:
Galaki said:
dahuman said:

I'm pretty sure the piracy is just as bad if not worse with the DS.... DS just had more units sold is all, I'm pretty sure they'll be happy with CW in the long run, that's usually how it goes.

Hey man. Play by the rules, you can only blame piracy when it involves PSP.

You are suggesting young children and the middle aged are more likely to pirate than teenagers and young adults?

Do you have concrete evidence that more teenagers and young adults own a PSP than a DS?  I would be very very very suprised if that were the case.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

KylieDog said:
famousringo said:
Speaking of comparing American data, here's the comparison between handheld GTAs I posted before using Americas sales only:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Chinatown+Wars+-+DS&reg2=America&game2=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Vice+City+Stories+-+PSP&reg3=America&game3=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Liberty+City+Stories+-+PSP&weeks=100

Chinatown is still splitting the difference between VC Stories and LC Stories. If this trend holds, I don't think Take 2 will have anything to complain about.

All these comparisons are flawed.

For one thing the PSP games got PS2 versions, stealing sales.

Plus back when they were released the PSP userbase was what?  20m?  25m?   DS userbase is 100 million.  Now while userbase isn't directly propertional to sales...it does matter.  PSP userbase is also vastly more rampant with piracy than DS.

Well, you have a slight point with Liberty City stories -- but I am not sure how a game that sold 5.66M had sales taken from it.

The point is flawed on Vice City since the PS2 version came out four years BEFORE the PSP game.

The point about user base makes the sales of those games more remarkabke. The PSP had just over 5M in Fall 2005 and just under 19M by the end of 2006.  Of course, that means either eveyrone who owned a PSP bought those games or they have had some legs.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

KylieDog said:
Galaki said:
dahuman said:

I'm pretty sure the piracy is just as bad if not worse with the DS.... DS just had more units sold is all, I'm pretty sure they'll be happy with CW in the long run, that's usually how it goes.

You are suggesting young children and the middle aged are more likely to pirate than teenagers and young adults?

are you suggesting young children and the middle aged are the only ones buying DS?

Assuming 80% of PSP owners are teenagers and young adults and only 40% od DS owners are teenagers and young adults, there would be 46.6 * 0.8 = 37.38 million teenagers and young adults PSP owner and 100.18 * 0.4 = 40.07 millions of DS owner.

Also, the young children and the middle aged could have siblings or children that are teenagers and young adults. However, I'm pretty sure young children and the middle aged are not the target customers for GTA especially young children.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
saicho said:
KylieDog said:
Galaki said:
dahuman said:

are you suggesting young children and the middle aged are the only ones buying DS?

Assuming 80% of PSP owners are teenagers and young adults and only 40% od DS owners are teenagers and young adults, there would be 46.6 * 0.8 = 37.38 million teenagers and young adults PSP owner and 100.18 * 0.4 = 40.07 millions of DS owner.

Also, the young children and the middle agedcould have siblings or children that are teenagers and young adults.

Yea, and that number is almost ALL of the PSP owners . It's not even the majority of DS.

DS games are a little cheaper and generally more worth it though, I can kinda see why people wouldn't pay for a lot of the PSP games personally since I can count the worthwhile ones with my fingers. Though it is possible that the amount of pirates on the DS is more than PSP owners..... na... can't be THAT bad.

dahuman said:

DS games are a little cheaper and generally more worth it though, I can kinda see why people wouldn't pay for a lot of the PSP games personally since I can count the worthwhile ones with my fingers. Though it is possible that the amount of pirates on the DS is more than PSP owners..... na... can't be THAT bad.

in the uk i'd say top price ds games are generally more expensive than top price psp games, its rare as hell (though it does occassionally happen) to see a psp game at above £20 where as there's quite a lot of ds games at £30

the worthwhile ones?