By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EEDAR: GTA Chinatown Wars performance proves mature DS games "risky"

Avarice28 said:
Well judging from the comments about gta vice city stories most have not checked the stats: 2.94 million sold. Grand theft auto games "are" frontloaded games, have been and always will be. Both grand theft auto's on the psp have sold well you can check the link http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=grand+theft+auto&console=&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits does this mean that china wars is a flop? No way dude, this just means that it and most mature games like it are "risky" and this is the title that will probably be looked at to chart whether or not anymore "mature" titles get fitted for a DS game. I do believe this is all the article was trying to point out, this should not be taken as an "attack" on all things Nintendo.

What we mean is, that gta vcs sold worse then gta chinatown wars in the first couple of weeks... Yet this game sold almost 3M copies. You can't say this game flopped by looking at the first 3 weeks...

Around the Network

Here's the comparison chart:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Chinatown+Wars+-+DS&reg2=All&game2=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Vice+City+Stories+-+PSP&reg3=All&game3=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Liberty+City+Stories+-+PSP&weeks=100

Right now it's tracking between VC Stories and LC Stories, but it's way too early to draw conclusions from a tiny, straight curve based on three weeks of data.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I do love this industry so

invisible sarcasm tag here

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Ok, so GTA:CW didn't sell as much as the PSP versions yet.

Big deal. Unless how GTA's performance is the sole metric for determining handheld success - I fail to see how this is even important.

Did this analyst expect GTA DS to sell like gangbusters in the same month as Pokemon. Not many games can go up against a Pokemon RPG and be successful. This is also true of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (Japan). Those portable titles are hard to beat and have established fanbases.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network

So hes basically saying most DS games are immature...nice!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Violent games are considered immature by many. Not that I think that, but many people think that way.

famousringo said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Chinatown+Wars+-+DS&reg2=All&game2=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Vice+City+Stories+-+PSP&reg3=All&game3=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Liberty+City+Stories+-+PSP&weeks=100

Right now it's tracking between VC Stories and LC Stories, but it's way too early to draw conclusions from a tiny, straight curve based on three weeks of data.

There is only data from the Americas for Vice City Stories, the Others never had a weekly update so it never went into the charts.

famousringo said:

Man, that's not too great. Shouldn't the all powerful DS completely dominate the PSP which doesn't sell software?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

^ @ outlaw:

Sure GTA sells amazing on the PSP but it's one of the few games that actually posts those types of numbers whereas the DS has plenty more.

Don't start cherry picking... If I wanted to make a case that PSP software doesn't sell and you wanted to make a case for the opposite, all you'd pnly have is GTA, Monster Hunter, and perhaps a few other games to make your case.  I'd have far more ammo than you would, so please don't go there!

So yeah, the DS doesn't dominate the PSP when it comes to GTA sales, but in general, it most certainly does.

Even still, Chinatown Wars is tracking much higher than the second PSP game (Liberty City Stories) thus far - so we'll see.